Dark/Dark/Soul

Steampunkette

I recognize that Dark/Dark doesn't Synergize as well as, say, Dark/Ninja. But for theming of this character I wanted to try it.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Hero Hero Designer 2.23
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Jill o' Lantern: Level 50 Mutation Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Dark Blast
Secondary Power Set: Dark Armor
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Blast -- Tmp-Acc/Dmg(A), Tmp-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Tmp-Dmg/Rchg(3), Dcm-Acc/Dmg(5), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9)
Level 1: Dark Embrace -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(5), RctArm-ResDam(7), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(7), ImpArm-ResPsi(9)
Level 2: Gloom -- Tmp-Acc/Dmg(A), Tmp-Dmg/EndRdx(11), Tmp-Dmg/Rchg(11), Dcm-Acc/Dmg(13), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13)
Level 4: Umbral Torrent -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(15), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(15), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(17), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17)
Level 6: Murky Cloud -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(19), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(19), Ags-ResDam(21), Ags-Psi/Status(21)
Level 8: Abyssal Gaze -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold(A), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End(23), Tmp-Acc/Dmg(23), Tmp-Dmg/EndRdx(25), Tmp-Dmg/Rchg(25)
Level 10: Tenebrous Regeneration -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(27), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(27), Prv-Heal/Rchg(29), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(29)
Level 12: Obsidian Shield -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(31), RctArm-EndRdx/Rchg(31), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(45)
Level 14: Dark Obliteration -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(33), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(33), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(34), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34)
Level 16: Obscure Sustenance -- Prv-Heal/EndRdx(A), Prv-Heal(34), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(36), Prv-Heal/Rchg(36), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(36)
Level 18: Antumbral Beam -- Rui-Acc/Dmg(A), Rui-Dmg/EndRdx(37), CldSns-ToHitDeb(37), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(37), Rui-Dmg/Rchg(39)
Level 20: Cloak of Darkness -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(A), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(39), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39), LucoftheG-Def(40), LucoftheG-Rchg+(40)
Level 22: Mystic Flight -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 24: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Life Drain -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg(40), Thn-Acc/Dmg(42), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42)
Level 28: Cloak of Fear -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 30: Tough -- GldArm-ResDam(A), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(33), GldArm-End/Res(43), GldArm-3defTpProc(43), GldArm-RechRes(43)
Level 32: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Rchg+(45), LucoftheG-Def(45), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(46), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 35: Blackstar -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), ScrDrv-Acc/Rchg(48), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(48), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48)
Level 38: Soul Transfer -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 41: Soul Tentacles -- GrvAnc-Hold%(A)
Level 44: Darkest Night -- DmpSpr-ToHitDeb(A), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/Rchg/EndRdx(50), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(50), DmpSpr-Rchg/EndRdx(50)
Level 47: Soul Storm -- Lck-%Hold(A)
Level 49: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- Empty(A)
------------

So she's not going to be perfect. I didn't even get halfway to Softcap though Darkest Night will put her up 12% against those who don't resist ToHit. She'll be open to Defense Cascades dropping her to nothing, her Energy Damage Resistance is a suck... But she's got capped Smash/Lethal damage and near cap on Psionic meaning she'd be fairly great against Carnies, I think. Which would make her my ONLY good Carnies-fighting character! She's also got some decent resistances to Dark, Fire, and Cold meaning she should be solid against Circle of Thorns and Banished Pantheon in Dark Astoria. Tsoo, too.

... I just realized that it's mostly magic groups that use Fire/Cold/Negative/Smashing while Tech Groups do Lethal/Energy/Toxic... Huh.

Do you all think this build is a viably strong one or am I overestimating the value of the spread I have, here, and need to get back to the drawing board?

43 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

I recognize that Dark/Dark doesn't Synergize as well as, say, Dark/Ninja. But for theming of this character I wanted to try it.

As a Dark/Dark/Dark player, I disagree about the synergy statement here.  Dark Blast is the little black dress of Sentinel offense.  It synergizes with everything!

I didn't even get halfway to Softcap

Don't need it.  You have Blackstar.  You have Cloak of Shadows.  You have Cloak of Fear and Darkest Night. 

She'll be open to Defense Cascades dropping her to nothing, her Energy Damage Resistance is a suck...

See above for all the tools you have.  Minions will have the most rolls against you to cascade what defenses you have.  You can neuter the threat from minions with this combination.  Plus, Incarnates can close the DDR gap.  From one anonymous friend to another, you really don't need to worry too much about this unless you're looking to solo the ITF. 

... I just realized that it's mostly magic groups that use Fire/Cold/Negative/Smashing while Tech Groups do Lethal/Energy/Toxic... Huh.

Those magic groups and Carnies won't be cascading your defenses often unless they use sets with -defense.  Most of the time its fire blast, ice blast, psi blast, dark melee, fire melee, and super strength.  Council farms can cascade your defenses with rifle fire but they have to hit you first.  They are no threat if they are blind.  See Blackstar.

Do you all think this build is a viably strong one or am I overestimating the value of the spread I have, here, and need to get back to the drawing board?

Dark Armor is a viable secondary.  Strong is subjective.  I think you may be underestimating, not overestimating, what Dark Blast and Dark Armor can actually do once the build has matured. 

Cloak of Shadows is a stealth power and with a Stealth IO in Sprint you can start combat on your terms.  Start those combats with Blackstar.  I know I've mentioned Blackstar a couple of times now.  Blackstar comes with a -35% to hit debuff.  That's not a misprint in Pine's. That's how it really works.  That duration is 20 seconds.  That's also not a misprint.  My Blackstar recharges every 26 seconds or so.  That means the debuff has a 6 second down time.  6. Seconds.  This looks like an oversight from the blast set proliferation where Blackstar's original base recharge was longer on the Blaster/Defender/Corruptor scale.  For Sentinels, its open to abuse. 

Dark Armor can nullify minions with Oppressive Gloom or Cloak of Fear.  Darknest Night may actually be overkill.  Dark Obliteration and Umbral Torrent both add another 5% to debuff for 10 seconds each.  Your normal attack chain is going to add 5% to debuffs for 10 seconds each.  The only duration exception is Dark Blast (the T1) that has a paltry 6 second duration. 

Rune of Protection is the bee's knees if you want a Godmode T9 replacement. 

With a Dark/Dark combo, I'd say recharge is your friend.  Recharge means you can bring up Rune of Protection a little more frequently, but it really is Obscure Sustenance that you want up as often as possible.  Adding more recharge means you can drop the Tier 1 if you like, and maybe even Lifedrain.  Lifedrain's heal was hit with the Sentinel defense proliferation.  What that means is, where other archetypes have a 10% base heal (or higher) the Sentinel has a 6% heal.  The damage on Lifedrain wasn't increased since its Tier status was not changed like Abyssal Gaze was.  The DPA on Lifedrain is slightly less than that of Gloom but damage procs could potentially make it better.  Lifedrain can take Touch of the Nictus: Negative Damage, Clouded Senses: Negative Damage, and Gladiator's Javelin: Toxic.  For healing utility though, Gloom is going to over take it through Defensive Opportunity + 10 targets hit by Dark Obliteration.  With Obscure Sustenance's regeneration rates backing it up, Lifedrain's heal is a joke.

I'd probably change some slotting methodology to make it stronger but is what you have currently viable? Absolutely.

My first level 50 ever was a Dark/Dark Scrapper.  I made that character back when set-based armor toggles were mutually exclusive!  I had to pick and choose which toggle to run and supplement my defenses with Tough and Weave.  Even then, I used to solo things that many people on the old forums would say you couldn't because Dark Armor sucked.  No, it was just more challenging and required a specific pairing in Dark Melee (for Dark Consumption) to make it work.  When the change happened to allow toggle stacking (and the rejoincing of Invulnerability and Stone Tankers everywhere) I still ran everything and Acrobatics.  That's also turning Cloak of Fear on and off when enemies used to run! 

So Sentinel Dark/Dark can work and with some recharge can get pretty good.  It may not solo AV/GM's but hunting virtually any enemy group isn't off the table.  Not by a long shot.

Edited by oldskool
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I should Rebuild into a Recharge Build? With Darkstar's ridiculous -ToHit it really seems like a great idea...

The only question I have left is: Target cap? With 10 targets hit by Blackstar, that still leaves almost half a spawn of enemies who aren't debuffed by 35%. 

How do I offset those enemies and their high chance to hit me? Is that just where Darkest Night comes in?

I like to build for recharge on almost everything because recharge inspirations don't exist.  I take Maneuvers on almost all Sentinels so my view of how high I can push defenses is pretty skewed by that.   

The target cap question is a concern as not everything will be struck by Blackstar and it can also miss.  So its not a guarantee.  For those remaining enemies you can Darkest Night a target and pepper others with Dark Obliteration to start spreading the love.  Cloak of Fear should make several enemies cower in fear as well as get hit by -to hit.  You have no Death Shroud to pulse and create reactionary hits out of the fear effect. Though your AoE's may do that. 

When all else fails there are purple inspirations.  Edit, also totally forgot about the Knockback in Umbral Torrent.  That can help too.  Scattering melee mobs can be helpful, especially while leveling, and placing a KB-to-KD is a good idea also.

What kind of content are you hoping to push?  I wouldn't expect to bunny hop around a farm map herding past the aggro cap with the above build.  I do that occasionally on my DP/Nin, but that's real risky.  I have to make sure I am on top of things with my click heal and inspires.  I also don't do that when Judgment is on cooldown. 

For teaming, you shouldn't notice.  For other soloing, you may need to scale back the difficulty until you level shift and flesh out some other Incarnates at 50.  For soloing prior to 50, you'll need to pace yourself.  Dark Armor can be good but realistically its not Super Reflexes level of throwing ones self into the fray without a care.  Dark Armor is a tactical set and will play slower due to that.  So if you are thinking of potentially jumping in to x4/x8 spawns solo, then yes you are probably overestimating what the set can do with the slotting you have. 

I'll tinker with this later and see what I can come up with so I can put my money where my mouth is.  😉 

For my D3, I built for defense and recharge.  I think I hit somewhere around 27% defenses.  When I had planned on Psi Mastery Link Minds took the defenses over 32%. 

Edited by oldskool

1 hour ago, oldskool said:

Cloak of Shadows is a stealth power and with a Stealth IO in Sprint you can start combat on your terms.  Start those combats with Blackstar.  I know I've mentioned Blackstar a couple of times now.  Blackstar comes with a -35% to hit debuff.  That's not a misprint in Pine's. That's how it really works.  That duration is 20 seconds.  That's also not a misprint.  My Blackstar recharges every 26 seconds or so.  That means the debuff has a 6 second down time.  6. Seconds.  This looks like an oversight from the blast set proliferation where Blackstar's original base recharge was longer on the Blaster/Defender/Corruptor scale.  For Sentinels, its open to abuse. 

Mind = Blown. That sounds really good.

Also, is Umbral Torrent 100% KB like Mids suggests? It seems to me with a KB-to-KD IO this would make for fantastic mitigation against whoever is outside of Blackstar's target cap. A 1.188s power with a 15s base recharge, by the time they get back up on their feet you can knock them down again.

Just now, nihilii said:

Also, is Umbral Torrent 100% KB like Mids suggests? It seems to me with a KB-to-KD IO this would make for fantastic mitigation against whoever is outside of Blackstar's target cap. A 1.188s power with a 15s base recharge, by the time they get back up on their feet you can knock them down again.

It is a strong KB because it is based on Torrent.  So yeah, I have 5pc Positron + Sudden Acceleration in my build I believe.  I don't have Pine's at the moment, but KD is awesome control.  It plays super nice with the regen of the set kinda like Willpower. 

Umbral Torrent and Dark Obliteration also hit decently hard as far as Sentinel AoE goes. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nihilii said:

I had to make a double take on Blackstar.  That one power inspired my Dark Blast/Regen build that I started.  I eventually scrapped it and made it Dark/Dark because, why not? 

I still have that Dark Regen on Justin.  Last Friday when I was toying around that was the build I was running to test.  To stress test powers and all that.  I hopped into a fire farm set to x4/x8 and turned off defenses I normally run to the teen's.  I'd jump into spawns and unleash Blackstar + Judgment.  Its pretty hilarious and a little, OK a lot, risky.  Some spawns would annihilate the absorb shield and drop me before I could click a heal (as expected).  Some spawns would be smooth sailing with the usual active play expected in Regen.  My Dark Armor build plays similarly because I currently skip Cloak of Fear and Oppressive Gloom. 

Edited by oldskool

34 minutes ago, oldskool said:

I like to build for recharge on almost everything because recharge inspirations don't exist.  I take Maneuvers on almost all Sentinels so my view of how high I can push defenses is pretty skewed by that.   

The target cap question is a concern as not everything will be struck by Blackstar and it can also miss.  So its not a guarantee.  For those remaining enemies you can Darkest Night a target and pepper others with Dark Obliteration to start spreading the love.  Cloak of Fear should make several enemies cower in fear as well as get hit by -to hit.  You have no Death Shroud to pulse and create reactionary hits out of the fear effect. Though your AoE's may do that. 

When all else fails there are purple inspirations.  Edit, also totally forgot about the Knockback in Umbral Torrent.  That can help too.  Scattering melee mobs can be helpful, especially while leveling, and placing a KB-to-KD is a good idea also.

What kind of content are you hoping to push?  I wouldn't expect to bunny hop around a farm map herding past the aggro cap with the above build.  I do that occasionally on my DP/Nin, but that's real risky.  I have to make sure I am on top of things with my click heal and inspires.  I also don't do that when Judgment is on cooldown. 

For teaming, you shouldn't notice.  For other soloing, you may need to scale back the difficulty until you level shift and flesh out some other Incarnates at 50.  For soloing prior to 50, you'll need to pace yourself.  Dark Armor can be good but realistically its not Super Reflexes level of throwing ones self into the fray without a care.  Dark Armor is a tactical set and will play slower due to that.  So if you are thinking of potentially jumping in to x4/x8 spawns solo, then yes you are probably overestimating what the set can do with the slotting you have. 

I'll tinker with this later and see what I can come up with so I can put my money where my mouth is.  😉 

For my D3, I built for defense and recharge.  I think I hit somewhere around 27% defenses.  When I had planned on Psi Mastery Link Minds took the defenses over 32%. 

Mostly I run duos and small teams,  really. Very rarely do I solo or hop on 8 man steamrollers.

Thank you for this helpful advice!

• Like 1

Try this on for size, @oldskool!

Spoiler

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Jill o' Lantern: Level 50 Mutation Sentinel
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Blast -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(3), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(5), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9)
Level 1: Dark Embrace -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(5), Ags-ResDam(7), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(7), Ags-Psi/Status(9)
Level 2: Gloom -- SntWar-Acc/Dmg(A), SntWar-Dmg/Rchg(11), SntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(13), SntWar-Rchg/+Absord(13)
Level 4: Umbral Torrent -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(15), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(15), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17), PstBls-Dam%(17)
Level 6: Murky Cloud -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(19), TtnCtn-EndRdx(19), TtnCtn-ResDam(21), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 8: Abyssal Gaze -- OppStr-Acc/Dmg(A), OppStr-Dmg/Rchg(23), OppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity(23), OppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), OppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(25)
Level 10: Tenebrous Regeneration -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(27), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(27), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(29), DctWnd-Heal(29)
Level 12: Obsidian Shield -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(31), RctArm-EndRdx(31), RctArm-ResDam(31), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 14: Dark Obliteration -- PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(33), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(34), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(34)
Level 16: Obscure Sustenance -- ThfofEss-Heal/Rchg(A), ThfofEss-Heal(34), ThfofEss-Acc/Heal(36), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Heal(36), ThfofEss-+End%(36)
Level 18: Antumbral Beam -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(37), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(37), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(37), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39)
Level 20: Cloak of Darkness -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(39), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39), LucoftheG-Def(40), LucoftheG-Rchg+(40)
Level 22: Mystic Flight -- EndRdx-I(A), Flight-I(50)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 26: Life Drain -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(42), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Dcm-Build%(42)
Level 28: Cloak of Fear -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(46), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 32: Blackstar -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(45), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(45), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), SphIns-Acc/ToHitDeb(50)
Level 35: Soul Tentacles -- GrvAnc-Hold%(A)
Level 38: Soul Transfer -- Avl-Rchg/KDProc(A)
Level 41: Darkest Night -- DmpSpr-ToHitDeb(A), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/Rchg(43), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/Rchg/EndRdx(43), DmpSpr-Rchg/EndRdx(43), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(50)
Level 44: Soul Storm -- Lck-%Hold(A)
Level 47: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(48)
Level 49: Oppressive Gloom -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 50: Intuition Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Spectral Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Control Radial Embodiment 
Level 50: Rebirth Radial Epiphany 
------------

Definitely going for Spectral and Intuition.  Maybe I should do Assault? Judgement will probably be Void Radial for theme and the 50% damage debuff. I'm never sure what to do with Destiny but I feel like Ageless could be good, here? She's going to be End-Heavy, after all, and more recharge means more Blackstars.

I'll plug it in when I get home to see the full numbers.  Overall it looks like a step in the right direction, and I will keep those sets in mind when I build later (to limit expense).  Actually, I quite like the direction its going. 🙂

I don't see Steadfast, Karma, or any Travel power Knockdown protection.  Dark Armor has no protection or resistance to it and there is no Hover to help mitigate the recovery time.  You might not need that endurance reduction in Mystic Flight.  So maybe steal a slot and plug a KB protection somewhere. 

Opportunity Strikes is better in Antumbral Beam due to PPM rules.  I'll agree with Gloom and the Ward set.  I use it there myself. 

The Decimation proc maybe better in Abyssal Gaze than Life Drain.  I'll calculate it later to confirm.

Obscure Sustenance has high accuracy already.  You don't need Theft of Essence there, but I get why because the proc *sounds* good.  Obscure Sustenance applies 3 separate but stacking buffs on the player.  Each version of the buff has its own duration.  The first endurance buff drops after 10 seconds, the second one at 20 seconds, and the final at 30 seconds.  That's why you want to get that sucker, quite literally, to recharge as often as possible and use it on cool down.  It only needs 1 target as the buffs are not scaling per target like its cousin Dark Regeneration.  The health regeneration has longer durations but it is irrelevant to our needs.  We want that constant endurance stream. 

Intuition Radial's not a bad idea.  I like Cardiac Core too which is a bit of a step outside how I usually build Sentinels.  My D3's not pushing the same kind of damage goal as I do with my other builds and so I look for staying power.  I normally don't care for Diamagnetic, but the additional to hit debuff is an idea for this pairing too. 

Control Radial is an interesting idea.  I don't think I have considered it at all for any character I play, and I have several Controllers. 😄 I usually go with Support or Melee when not going for Assault.  With this build, I'd maybe consider Assault Core for the stacking debuff.  It is a static chance to add damage vs the PPM rule-based Radial.  Since you're using sets that add recharge reduction, the Radial may not be as beneficial.  I haven't calculated that so don't quote me on it, but my instinct is leaning towards Core (if you wanted it).  Especially with duo/small teams.  You'd be unlikely to hit the damage cap unless you're pairing with Kinetics a lot.  I can count on 1 hand the last time I grouped with a Kinetic player or that I played at the damage cap in regular play.

Rebirth will probably feel like overkill, but I do like Rebirth.  Barrier's not bad if you have endurance under control.  Ageless, either, will also be good for this build when you push the endurance hard.  Turn off Cloak of Fear, its your big end drag, and lean on Oppressive Gloom which slowly drains health.  Obscure Sustenance should be able to fuel those during its peak but there is nothing wrong with having a backup like Ageless.  Clarion's probably a waste of your time.

Edited by oldskool

I don't know about Controllers... But Control Radial is -amazing- for Dominators!

My Dark/Savage/Soul dom opens fights with a fear affect, then moves in to use other powers. With a nice long-lasting fear you can suddenly stack fears every time you land any hit. And if the target is also stunned, it stacks Fear AND Stun (Or at least it seems to). The more controls on a target the more chance they'll get shut down. And the additional damage is swank, too.

I've only done that on Justin, though. The Dominator will be using it in another 6 levels on Live! 😄

• Like 1

Also, while I thinking about it and to get real nerdy... 

A high recharge build that can constantly cycle the 3 higher DPA attacks (Gloom, Abyssal Gaze, Antumbral Beam) each produce 13 opportunity per hit.  I'd try to build some muscle memory of tacking on Gloom at the end.  Maybe lead with Abyssal Gaze since it will interrupt many targets from the hold and if the Build-Up proc is better there you want the buff on Antumbral Beam. 

Abyssal Gaze -> Antumbral Beam -> Gloom -> Abyssal Gaze -> Antumbral Beam -> Gloom -> Abyssal Gaze (91 opportunity meter -- ding ding!) -> Trigger Opportunity (Gloom/Dark Blast)*

*According to my notes in the thread I started about Opportunity Strikes it looks like Antumbral Beam might generate 14 opportunity.  You'd hit 93 after the 3rd Abyssal Gaze.  Not that it matters, but I want to correct the error. 😉

Opportunity Strikes will add some randomness but ideally it will create bursts of shortened Opportunity windows where you lead with Abyssal Gaze ->Antumbral -> Opportunity/Gloom -> Opportunity (if bar didn't fill) Dark Blast -> repeat attack sequence. 

I've been playing around with trying to make Opportunity more predictable in my builds since the -20% resistance is quite nice.  Makes the Sentinel a tank buster.

Edited by oldskool

Love the character name by the way!

First round: I lean more into the melee brawler aspect of Dark Armor vs trying to chase after Range/AoE.  AoE would be a bit nice since there are a lot of those attacks in the game, but this is more an illustration of just shifting some slots around.  I think in the end it's not a big deal.  You might want a Karma KB protection or Steadfast somewhere though.  The second one is a bit more of a big budget thought experiment. 😉 

Level 50 Mutation Sentinel

Hero Profile:
------------
Level 1:    Dark Blast            Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Dcm-Acc/Dmg(43), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(43), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 1:    Dark Embrace            UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(40), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(40), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(46)
Level 2:    Gloom                SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(3), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45)
Level 4:    Umbral Torrent            PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(5), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(37), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(39), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(39)
Level 6:    Murky Cloud            UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(7), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(48)
Level 8:    Abyssal Gaze            Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Dcm-Build%(37)
Level 10:    Tenebrous Regeneration        Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(11), Prv-Absorb%(11)
Level 12:    Obsidian Shield            UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(13), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(13), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 14:    Dark Obliteration        PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(15), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(36), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(36)
Level 16:    Obscure Sustenance        DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(A), DctWnd-Heal(17), DctWnd-Rchg(17), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(25), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 18:    Antumbral Beam            SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity(A), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg(19), SprOppStr-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23)
Level 20:    Cloak of Darkness        LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(21), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(21), Krm-ResKB(46)
Level 22:    Mystic Flight            EndRdx-I(A), Flight-I(37)
Level 24:    Hasten                RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(25)
Level 26:    Life Drain            Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Dcm-Acc/Dmg(27), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(27), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(48)
Level 28:    Cloak of Fear            CldSns-ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(29), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(29), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(31)
Level 30:    Maneuvers            LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 32:    Blackstar            Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Obl-%Dam(33), Obl-Dmg(33), Obl-Acc/Rchg(33), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(34), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34)
Level 35:    Soul Tentacles            GrvAnc-Hold%(A)
Level 38:    Soul Transfer            SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A)
Level 41:    Darkest Night            DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(A), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb(42), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/Rchg(42), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/Rchg/EndRdx(42), DmpSpr-Rchg/EndRdx(45)
Level 44:    Soul Storm            Lck-%Hold(A)
Level 47:    Aim                RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 49:    Oppressive Gloom        Dsrnt-I(A)
Level 1:    Brawl                Empty(A)
Level 1:    Prestige Power Dash        Empty(A)
Level 1:    Prestige Power Slide        Empty(A)
Level 1:    Prestige Power Quick        Empty(A)
Level 1:    Prestige Power Rush        Empty(A)
Level 1:    Prestige Power Surge        Empty(A)
Level 1:    Sprint                Empty(A)
Level 2:    Rest                Empty(A)
Level 4:    Ninja Run    
Level 2:    Swift                Empty(A)
Level 2:    Health                NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(50)
Level 2:    Hurdle                Empty(A)
Level 2:    Stamina                PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(50)
------------

Second verse, not so same as the first!  This one is what I mean by recharge.  With some recharge enhancers Hasten is near perma without Ageless Destiny.  Rune of Protection makes a come back and get you you near hard cap Smashing/Lethal resistance at 74%.  Negative/Fire/Cold aren't too far behind.  That'll run at a 90 second duration but the downtime is still long.  

Overall slightly different from my D3 but it is a similar set of ideas that went into it.  

Abyssal Gaze with 2x purple damage procs and Umbral Torrent with a KD to KB.  Knockback protection comes in the 3 pieces of the PvP armor in 2 powers + Rune of Protection.  With Ageless + Obscure Sustenance you have enough recovery to run Darkest Night and Cloak of Fear.  

Hero Profile:
------------
Level 1:    Gloom                SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(43), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(43), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46)
Level 1:    Dark Embrace            GldArm-ResDam(A), GldArm-RechEnd(40), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(40)
Level 2:    Tenebrous Regeneration        Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(39), Prv-Absorb%(40)
Level 4:    Umbral Torrent            PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(5), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(37), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(39), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(39)
Level 6:    Murky Cloud            GldArm-RechEnd(A), GldArm-ResDam(7), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(7)
Level 8:    Abyssal Gaze            Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Apc-Dmg(9), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(37), UnbCns-Dam%(50)
Level 10:    Aim                AdjTrg-Rchg(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(11), GssSynFr--Build%(11)
Level 12:    Dark Obliteration        PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(13), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(13), PstBls-Dam%(27), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(34)
Level 14:    Obsidian Shield            StdPrt-ResDam/EndRdx(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(15), GldArm-3defTpProc(15)
Level 16:    Obscure Sustenance        DctWnd-Heal(A), DctWnd-Rchg(17), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(17), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(25), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(27)
Level 18:    Antumbral Beam            SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity(A), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg(19), SprOppStr-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23)
Level 20:    Cloak of Darkness        LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(21), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(21), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(46), Rct-ResDam%(48)
Level 22:    Mystic Flight            Flight-I(A)
Level 26:    Spirit Ward            DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(A)
Level 28:    Cloak of Fear            CldSns-ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(29), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(29), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(31)
Level 30:    Rune of Protection        UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), UnbGrd-ResDam(31)
Level 32:    Blackstar            Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Arm-Dmg(33), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(33), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34)
Level 35:    Soul Tentacles            GrvAnc-Immob/EndRdx(A), GrvAnc-Hold%(36), GrvAnc-Immob/Rchg(36), GrvAnc-Acc/Immob/Rchg(36), GrvAnc-Acc/Rchg(37)
Level 38:    Kick                Empty(A)
Level 41:    Darkest Night            DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(42), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(42), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(42)
Level 44:    Soul Storm            BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(45), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(45), BslGaz-Slow%(45)
Level 47:    Tough                UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(48), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 49:    Weave                LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 1:    Sprint                Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2:    Health                NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(3)
Level 2:    Stamina                PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(3)
Level 50:    Intuition Radial Paragon    
Level 50:    Spectral Radial Flawless Interface    
Level 50:    Ageless Core Epiphany    
Level 50:    Control Radial Embodiment    
------------

Edited by oldskool
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 4:55 PM, oldskool said:

Love the character name by the way!

First round: I lean more into the melee brawler aspect of Dark Armor vs trying to chase after Range/AoE.  AoE would be a bit nice since there are a lot of those attacks in the game, but this is more an illustration of just shifting some slots around.  I think in the end it's not a big deal.  You might want a Karma KB protection or Steadfast somewhere though.  The second one is a bit more of a big budget thought experiment. 😉 

Hero Profile:
------------
Level 1:    Dark Blast            Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Dcm-Acc/Dmg(43), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(43), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 1:    Dark Embrace            UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(40), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(40), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(46)
Level 2:    Gloom                SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(3), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45)
Level 6:    Murky Cloud            UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(7), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(48)
Level 8:    Abyssal Gaze            Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Dcm-Build%(37)
Level 10:    Tenebrous Regeneration        Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(11), Prv-Absorb%(11)
Level 12:    Obsidian Shield            UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(13), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(13), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 14:    Dark Obliteration        PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(15), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(36), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(36)
Level 16:    Obscure Sustenance        DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(A), DctWnd-Heal(17), DctWnd-Rchg(17), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(25), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 20:    Cloak of Darkness        LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(21), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(21), Krm-ResKB(46)
Level 22:    Mystic Flight            EndRdx-I(A), Flight-I(37)
Level 26:    Life Drain            Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Dcm-Acc/Dmg(27), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(27), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(46), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(48)
Level 30:    Maneuvers            LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 32:    Blackstar            Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Obl-%Dam(33), Obl-Dmg(33), Obl-Acc/Rchg(33), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(34), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34)
Level 35:    Soul Tentacles            GrvAnc-Hold%(A)
Level 38:    Soul Transfer            SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A)
Level 41:    Darkest Night            DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(A), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb(42), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/Rchg(42), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/Rchg/EndRdx(42), DmpSpr-Rchg/EndRdx(45)
Level 44:    Soul Storm            Lck-%Hold(A)
Level 47:    Aim                RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 49:    Oppressive Gloom        Dsrnt-I(A)
Level 1:    Sprint                Empty(A)
Level 2:    Health                NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(50)
Level 2:    Stamina                PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(50)
------------

Second verse, not so same as the first!  This one is what I mean by recharge.  With some recharge enhancers Hasten is near perma without Ageless Destiny.  Rune of Protection makes a come back and get you you near hard cap Smashing/Lethal resistance at 74%.  Negative/Fire/Cold aren't too far behind.  That'll run at a 90 second duration but the downtime is still long.  

Overall slightly different from my D3 but it is a similar set of ideas that went into it.  

Abyssal Gaze with 2x purple damage procs and Umbral Torrent with a KD to KB.  Knockback protection comes in the 3 pieces of the PvP armor in 2 powers + Rune of Protection.  With Ageless + Obscure Sustenance you have enough recovery to run Darkest Night and Cloak of Fear.  

Hero Profile:
------------
Level 1:    Gloom                SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(43), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(43), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46)
Level 1:    Dark Embrace            GldArm-ResDam(A), GldArm-RechEnd(40), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(40)
Level 2:    Tenebrous Regeneration        Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(39), Prv-Absorb%(40)
Level 6:    Murky Cloud            GldArm-RechEnd(A), GldArm-ResDam(7), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(7)
Level 8:    Abyssal Gaze            Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Apc-Dmg(9), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(37), UnbCns-Dam%(50)
Level 10:    Aim                AdjTrg-Rchg(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(11), GssSynFr--Build%(11)
Level 12:    Dark Obliteration        PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(13), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(13), PstBls-Dam%(27), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(34)
Level 14:    Obsidian Shield            StdPrt-ResDam/EndRdx(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(15), GldArm-3defTpProc(15)
Level 16:    Obscure Sustenance        DctWnd-Heal(A), DctWnd-Rchg(17), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(17), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(25), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(27)
Level 20:    Cloak of Darkness        LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(21), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(21), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(46), Rct-ResDam%(48)
Level 22:    Mystic Flight            Flight-I(A)
Level 26:    Spirit Ward            DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(A)
Level 30:    Rune of Protection        UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), UnbGrd-ResDam(31)
Level 32:    Blackstar            Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Arm-Dmg(33), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(33), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34)
Level 35:    Soul Tentacles            GrvAnc-Immob/EndRdx(A), GrvAnc-Hold%(36), GrvAnc-Immob/Rchg(36), GrvAnc-Acc/Immob/Rchg(36), GrvAnc-Acc/Rchg(37)
Level 38:    Kick                Empty(A)
Level 41:    Darkest Night            DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(42), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(42), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(42)
Level 44:    Soul Storm            BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(45), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(45), BslGaz-Slow%(45)
Level 47:    Tough                UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(48), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 49:    Weave                LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 1:    Sprint                Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2:    Health                NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(3)
Level 2:    Stamina                PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(3)
Level 50:    Intuition Radial Paragon    
Level 50:    Spectral Radial Flawless Interface    
Level 50:    Ageless Core Epiphany    
Level 50:    Control Radial Embodiment    
------------

Nice thanks.   I was playing my dark/regen today and then was thinking about doing a dark/dark.   Figured I'd make one just for theme, and because Umbral Torrent is just cool

Edited by SmalltalkJava
  • Thanks 1

@ParaBruce, I'd probably go Decimation due to the recharge plus whatever proc you wanted.  You could go with Clouded Senses, Ghost Widow, or even something like Lockdown for the higher hold.  

If you can ever spare the funds for Apocalypse + Unbreakable Constraint procs, then the damage of the power goes up very nicely.