Updating Every Launch and display shifting partially offscreen

Optiker

Running on Win10.

Every time I launch, it gets the manifest, then proceeds to do a 15-20 minute update/download. This was not happening until a recent update, nor was I experiencing the display shift described later until then.

Since I wasn't able to find an UNINSTALL, nor even find it listed in the APPS of my WINDOWS SETTINGS, I had to manually delete the ..\Games\City Of Heroes folder. I also deleted the registry key  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tequila indicated in the forum install guide at https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/186-install-and-troubleshooting-guide-v2/.

I then reinstalled by copying the ..\Games\City Of Heroes folder from my desktop computer - where it is running with no problems - to the laptop where I am having the problem. I ran it and the first time it worked fine - even fixed the problem of the display shifted down and to the right partially off-screen. The second time I launched and thereafter, it reverted to downloading every launch as well as the display shifting partially off screen.

I have not been able to resolve the display shift, so am forced to play in windowed mode, which I do not like for various reasons.

Help on the problem of updating at every launch as well as the shifted display would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Optiker

Edited by Optiker

I didnt have display shifts but I did have the download every launch issue for about 2 days.  Someone said there were a bunch of tiny patches and updates to fix stuff but also a sizeable beta update.  It resolved itself and is okay now (knock on wood).  

See if this file doesn't fix your position issue. It contains the default screen values for just the position elements.

Screen Pos.reg

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Also, Where is the game installed?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

18 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Also, Where is the game installed?

On my computer!     😉

Sorry...feeling frisky today!    😀

Seriously...it's in C:\Games\City Of Heroes

Regarding your previous suggestion, ie, Pos.reg, here's what I see in my registry. I presume I need to edit these values:

screen X 1540 (assume that's size, if so, change to 1920?)

screen X_pos -9 (change to 0)

screen Y 845 (if size, change to 1080?)

screen Y_pos 0 (no change)

Can you verify that I should edit those values as above? I'm not exactly a newbie, but not confident in messing with the registry.

Thanks!

Optiker

Edited by Optiker

I've never edited them before.

Here's what mine look like for a screen of 1600 x 900:

"screenX"="1600"
"screenY"="900"
"refreshRate"="0"
"screenX_pos"="0"
"screenY_pos"="0"

I think it's worth a shot.  If the values don't work, you can put the old ones back that you wrote above so you're no worse off than you were.

Inactive account.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:45 PM, Optiker said:

Regarding your previous suggestion, ie, Pos.reg, here's what I see in my registry. I presume I need to edit these values:

screen X 1540 (assume that's size, if so, change to 1920?)

screen X_pos -9 (change to 0)

screen Y 845 (if size, change to 1080?)

screen Y_pos 0 (no change)

screen X = Horizontal length in pixels

screen X_pos = Starting point from top left (?)

screen Y = Vertical length in pixels

screen Y_pos = Starting Point from top left (?)

Your X_pos is what had you off the side. IDK how you did it, but you (or something) did. I didn't address Full Screen vs Windowed intentionally, so you can try the other changes if you need to, but it heavily depends on your OS' video settings. Those Are the correct numbers for true 1080p though.

I cranked up my courage 😕 and changed the settings to size 1920,1080 and position 0,0 in regedit. At first, didn't seem to do anything. I launched the game and opening screes still offset.So I changed to windowed on the opening screen options, went in and changed to 1920x1080 in the in-game options. It worked, however, the images displayed while traveling to a different zone are still offset. I can lvie with that. We'll see the next time I launch if it's still working. I'll get back and post a followup.

Thanks!

Optiker

It's not updating every time, but I doubt that has anything to do with editing the registry for screen settings. Regarding screen settings, the settings in the registry are still right, but the login screen still comes up offset, and once in, if I reset to 1920x1080, it comes up OK on three sides, but way off on the right. With the map at its smallest size, I can drag it almost entirely off-screen to the right - probably could but once almost off, I guess the mouse loses it.

I've got the Windows screen setting at 1920x1080 and the same in the Intel Graphics Settings. I've got an icon in the extended tray for nVidia GeForce GTX 1060, but the NVIDIA GPU Activity says that there are no applications running on this GPU. I thought that when I bought the laptop (Alienware Predator Helios 300) the nVidia card was the default. Maybe something is messed up here.

Not sure what to try next, but willplay windowed mode for n ow.   😥

22 hours ago, Optiker said:

I cranked up my courage 😕 and changed the settings to size 1920,1080 and position 0,0 in regedit. At first, didn't seem to do anything. I launched the game and opening screes still offset.So I changed to windowed on the opening screen options, went in and changed to 1920x1080 in the in-game options. It worked, however, the images displayed while traveling to a different zone are still offset. I can lvie with that. We'll see the next time I launch if it's still working. I'll get back and post a followup.

Thanks!

Optiker

Neglected to mention/forgot you likely have to restart the PC after doing that.

2 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Neglected to mention/forgot you likely have to restart the PC after doing that.

Have done that and no change. In-game, change from windowed to 1920x1080 and it fits top, bottom and left, but way off on the right. To give you a feel for it, with the power-menu block, if I grab the left-most edge and take it fully to the right, all is off-screen to the right of the middle of the first power circle. Playable but if i n a hot fight, I go off screen at the right, I lose control. Some game I play has a setting to keep the cursor on-screen - would be nice but can't have everything. 😉

Thanks!

Optiker

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:42 PM, Optiker said:

What's the native resolution of that monitor? Some have odd dimensions and can be a handful of pixels different. IE: Some TVs are actually 16:10 vs the standard 16x9 ratio.

• 2 weeks later

make sure the laptop drivers are up to date. if the laptop has two gpu one for battery savings and one for games make sure the gaming gpu is running. also check in the laptop bios see if there any video settings. when the 64 bit coh came out on my window 10 pc i had a missing file warning and had to install the newest update from microsoft to play.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads