Changes to Intangible Powers

EyeLuvBooks

There are several powers from different sets that render their target or targets Intangible. Intangible targets cannot move, cannot attack and, most importantly cannot BE attacked until the duration of the power runs down.

I'm willing to bet that datamining will reveal these to be among the most ignored powers in the game, mainly because once they take effect they are beyond the control even of the caster. Party members often can't tell that the enemy in Intangible because with all of the graphical fx going off the Intangible effect can easily be missed.

I am going to suggest what I hope is a simple and straightforward solution to this issue: Simply enable the caster to turn the power off at will. This can be done by either making it a toggle with a limit of 30 seconds (most of the Intangible powers have a 30-second duration now) which the caster can simply switch off early or have a ring appear around the power while its in effect and the caster can click the power again to deactivate it.

I'm not a big fan of 'dead' powers and fortunately this game has very few but these powers are very seldom used simply because they cannot be controlled once cast.

Around 36% of Gravity users who can take Dimension Shift do take Dimension Shift at 50.

Sonic Resonance shows that 10% (for Defenders and Masterminds) and 20-30% (Controllers and Corruptors) choose Sonic Cage.

Though the bottom 10 least chosen powers by players does include one intangibility: Black Hole by Controllers. It's 10 from the bottom.

Confront on Widows comes in at a measley 4.18% making it the least taken Power!

Edited by Steampunkette
  • Like 1

Dimension Shift isn't a proper comparison point, @Steampunkette - because unlike every other Intangible, allies can walk into the area of the power, at which point they're able to affect the vics, and NOT be affected by anything outside the power.  It's also the only toggle Intangible, and thus can be shut off at will, and does not suffer from this issue.

This would involve breaking the cottage rule for the click powers - but I think it's a valid ask, because I've seen how snarly folks get when the last enemy in the group is just hovering there completely safe from all harm.

Oh, I wouldn't mind seeing them turned into an end-cost-free toggle (Aside from Dimension Shift, obviously).

I'm just saying they're not as rarely taken, even at level 50, as a whooole lot of other powers. Most of which come down to 'Confront', granted. But even Black Hole sees 10-15% utilization at 50.

The numbers are to refute the specific point exaggeration, not the core idea. I should've been more clear in that.

• Like 1

Do I recall correctly that five of the ten least popular powers were confront?

Also, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), that if you take Phase Shift (from the Concealment Pool), you are able to target and attack targets that are intangible. The concept of Intangibility was designed to set up a way to divide the battlefield. The main issue is that few people invest three power slots and a powerpool slot to get Phase Shift, meaning that it is fairly useless. I had a Sonic Dark Corruptor on Live that used the combo to isolate and destroy enemies one at a time. It was effective, and also worked on a team as well... especially if you had a friend who built a Scrapper with Phase Shift...

Also, for the record, Sonic Cage is not an intangibility power.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation