Psi melee

Ironscarlet

What's the consensus on this power set.

It looks great but the dps is just not there comparing  it to other sets it feels like ice melee with no control. I am not high lvl so  Iam hoping someone who has some experiance in this set can give me hope to gain. Good alpha slow recharge almost no secondary effect equals weak to me.

Does it get better?

I'm currently a level 32 Psi/Rad scrapper and am enjoying it.

It has pretty good ST damage, especially when you trigger the insight buff as it stacks pretty decent DoT. Greater Psi Blade + insight is damn crazy, its damage reminds me of Energy Transfer. If you land an actual crit with Greater Psi Blade + insight you'll put a boss away very quickly.. I don't have the actual dmg numbers at my lvl I've just noticed how fast they go down. Only thing I find underwhelming is mass levitate. It's a very cool looking power but it's all smash damage, with a minor psi DoT if you have insight.

EDIT: insight + Greater Psi Blade adds around 66% of the Psi portion of your Damage. At lvl 32 it crits for over 700dmg (the additional psi dmg isn't doubled).

As for soft control, most of the attacks do -recharge, Psi blade Sweep has a decent cone and a chance to disorient, and Greater Psi Blade also applies a mag 3 hold.

You'll have a bad time against Banished Pantheon and Council Robots though, their Psi resistance is very high so you'll hit like a toddler :P

Insight is just a regular buff that's triggered on a random attack. It last about 10seconds and doesn't stack. Once insight goes away you'll be locked out of gaining insight for another 10sec.

So yeah, once you have insight you can immediately use greater psi blade for massive damage. You immediately lose the insight buff once you use it.

I will say again though that the mobs in the game that do have psi resistance have it jacked up so high that some missions become incredibly annoying. Outside of that I'm really having no issues with the set.

It also has one of the best controls in the game, confuse (via the boggle power).  Have those annoying tsoo sorcs heal you instead of your enemies.  Sky raider force field generators now work for you.  Malta sappers?  They now drain your enemies for you.  So many great and fun things you can do with a confuse power to make the truly annoying enemies work for you instead.  Also the purple confuse IO set bonuses are amazing and usually (relatively) cheap. 

It also has one of the best controls in the game, confuse (via the boggle power).  Have those annoying tsoo sorcs heal you instead of your enemies.  Sky raider force field generators now work for you.  Malta sappers?  They now drain your enemies for you.  So many great and fun things you can do with a confuse power to make the truly annoying enemies work for you instead.  Also the purple confuse IO set bonuses are amazing and usually (relatively) cheap.

How do you get into range of the Sky Raiders to use boggle's 40' range without them immediately dropping the FFG? I was thinking about dropping combat jumping for stealth.

It has pretty good ST damage, especially when you trigger the insight buff as it stacks pretty decent DoT. Greater Psi Blade + insight is damn crazy, its damage reminds me of Energy Transfer. If you land an actual crit with Greater Psi Blade + insight you'll put a boss away very quickly.. I don't have the actual dmg numbers at my lvl I've just noticed how fast they go down. Only thing I find underwhelming is mass levitate. It's a very cool looking power but it's all smash damage, with a minor psi DoT if you have insight.

EDIT: insight + Greater Psi Blade adds around 66% of the Psi portion of your Damage. At lvl 32 it crits for over 700dmg (the additional psi dmg isn't doubled).

As for soft control, most of the attacks do -recharge, Psi blade Sweep has a decent cone and a chance to disorient, and Greater Psi Blade also applies a mag 3 hold.

You'll have a bad time against Banished Pantheon and Council Robots though, their Psi resistance is very high so you'll hit like a toddler :P

If you have this in pine/mids, would you mind sharing it? I'd really love to see it since I've been mulling my own idea for a psi/rad scrapper

If you have this in pine/mids, would you mind sharing it? I'd really love to see it since I've been mulling my own idea for a psi/rad scrapper

I actually downloaded mids to plan out a build for a psi/willpower scrapper I am working on. The psi powerset does not seem to be included for scrappers.  please correct me if I am wrong.

...Psi blade Sweep has a decent cone and a chance to disorient...

Ok, so over in the Brute forum there was a thread about the Psionic Melee and the one of the replies was very critical of Psi Blade Sweep, saying the cone was way too narrow to be of any use.

After using it for bit, I tend to agree; especially when soloing. It is very difficult to position the attack to include more than one mob. It does get easier in a group setting when the mobs are all gathered tightly around a tank.

Over all, I am undecided. I want to keep it cause its an AoE, but not sure its worth the power & enhancement slots.

Do you have any tips or tricks that you use to make it more effective in practice?

The cone isn't wide, but its range is longer than most. So if you take a step back you can hit more enemies.

I'm digging my psi/rad scrap. It's only 28 but it's already shaping up to be my low tf character.

Thanks for the tip.^^ Definitely going to try stepping back and see if that helps. BTW, what does "low tf character" mean?

Low level task forces, I run them a ton for merits. I run old positron, old sister psyche, occasionally synapse, silver mantis. Ideally I'd speed them with an io'd character but I've already started with the psi/rad on SOs. He's gonna be a beast for that when finished if his performance so far is any indication.

I actually downloaded mids to plan out a build for a psi/willpower scrapper I am working on. The psi powerset does not seem to be included for scrappers.  please correct me if I am wrong.

I just opened it and found that it works. Are you still using mids or did you upgrade to Pine's Hero Designer v2.21 which has the i25 sets and changes?

Low level task forces, I run them a ton for merits. I run old positron, old sister psyche, occasionally synapse, silver mantis. Ideally I'd speed them with an io'd character but I've already started with the psi/rad on SOs. He's gonna be a beast for that when finished if his performance so far is any indication.

As I mentioned before to someone else, do you mind throwing up the pines build for this because I've been trying to start my own psi/rad scrapper build

How do you get into range of the Sky Raiders to use boggle's 40' range without them immediately dropping the FFG? I was thinking about dropping combat jumping for stealth.

You can confuse the FFG itself directly after it is dropped.  As to stealth, you can also get stealth via super speed or a stealth IO.  Some people really dislike the movement penalty the power pool stealth gives. 

I just opened it and found that it works. Are you still using mids or did you upgrade to Pine's Hero Designer v2.21 which has the i25 sets and changes?

That was the problem, thanks. I was using an old version of mid's from like 2012. I posted on the help forum and someone pointed me to the right build planner, thanks for the tip!

That was the problem, thanks. I was using an old version of mid's from like 2012. I posted on the help forum and someone pointed me to the right build planner, thanks for the tip!

No problem!