Well that's odd ...

Redlynne

Finally got back around to playing my Kheldians again, and noticed something that produced a ... "Well that's odd..."

Currently my Kheldians are still (level locked) at Level 6, so I've got Nova (going Tri-Form of course) ... and ... sometimes I can use the T1 Human Form power in Nova Form ... and sometimes I can't.

And even better yet, I think I've found out WHY ...

So ... this is a "bug report" that about an "unintended feature" which is actually beneficial (overall) for how the Kheldian plays, but which is explicitly not supposed to work.

When you shift to Nova Form and you have your Human Form powers still visible in your trays, you will see that the T1 Human Form power is indeed greyed out, as is intentional by the Homecoming team.

This part "works" as intended.

However, if you have USED the T1 Human Form power while in Human Form ... and then shift to Nova Form, causing the T1 Human Form power to grey out ... if you've got a keybind to access the T1 Human Form power while in Nova Form ... you CAN USE the T1 Human Form power (when you shouldn't be able to) while in Nova Form.

So here's 2 screenshots demonstrating this.

Peacebringer Screenshot

Warshade Screenshot

To be honest, this "bug" (when it can be exploited) makes it a lot easier to play a Kheldian, since it gives Nova Form "enough" power to cycle without any recharge boosting, that I'm honestly of a mind to think that "fixing" it would be something of a shame.  Furthermore, although the screenshots do not show it, the T1 Human Form power animates an executes "just fine" while in Nova Form without any animation or game mechanical weirdness.

I suspect that what's happening here is a matter of premature optimization involved in the underlying coding produced by Cryptic/Paragon Studios that opened a "hole" in the permissions set which the implementation of Homecoming's adjustment that then permits this specific exploit to operate functionally, as demonstrated.

Remember, you need to USE the T1 Human Form power on a particular zone map load (shared world or instanced) before you can use that T1 Human Form power while in Nova Form (when you shouldn't be able to).  Once that "permission" is set, apparently it doesn't get rechecked, due to how the permissions get checked (and when) as a result of Form Shifting.

Unknown at this time if this specific "bug" in the coding will resolve itself once Dwarf Form is taken (since my Kheldians that I can do this on reliably are only Level 6 as of yet, as you can see in the screenshots).

• Thanks 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

This is a fascinating bit of detective work. 

The RP part of my mind immediately leapt to imagining Kheldians gratuitously zapping nearby bugs and whatever before form shifting, many of them having no idea why and just doing it out of superstition, following conventional wisdom, and such.

Tried it on test, at 50 this works and so does ebon eye in dwarf (if you've fired it as human first). Ebon eye in dwarf is a bigger deal than shadow bolt in Nova, imo, because it seems to not have the gigantic range penalty of shadow bolt in dwarf. With shadow bolt, the idea of a range attack in dwarf sounds great until you realize the range is almost nothing...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Microcosm said:

Tried it on test, at 50 this works and so does ebon eye in dwarf (if you've fired it as human first). Ebon eye in dwarf is a bigger deal than shadow bolt in Nova, imo, because it seems to not have the gigantic range penalty of shadow bolt in dwarf. With shadow bolt, the idea of a range attack in dwarf sounds great until you realize the range is almost nothing...

Great work!

Don't tell anyone(!) ... just in case any of the Homecoming Devs peruse the forums ...!

5 hours ago, ParaBruce said:

This is a fascinating bit of detective work.

spacer.png

It's what I do ...

Edited by Redlynne

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.