Ill/Storm

robertodigital

I'm currently reworking my build, but I put a version of it in the Perma-PA thread. That version has no Hasten, but I am leaning towards putting Hasten back in.

This is a great combo. Both sets have powers that are great and skippable at the same time.

The powers that you must take are:

Blind, Spectral Wounds, Phantom Army, Phantasm, Gale (but only because it is the T1 in your secondary), Tornado, and Lightning Storm.

The powers that are underwhelming are:
Gale, 02 Boost, & Thunder Clap (t2? Really?).

That being said, Gale can be quite useful, especially in the lower levels, and O2 Boost is good on some teams.

The rest of the powers are really good, but they can also be skipped and still have a good build. Hurricane is great, especially paired with TP Foe and a nice corner... Superior Invisibility is the best skip to the end invisibility in the game... Steaming Mist is possibly the best defensive in-combat stealth in the game, especially in a team (Team Invisibility isn't too far behind)... Spooky rocks (even though Fear might not be the form of control)... Freezing Rain is hilarious and effective... Flash is a great AoE Hold (but it's animation time is terrible)...

Also be careful, many of the powers are so good that they demand slots, but there are not going to be enough to go around (although I think the most recent build I am working on has found the middle ground...

Edited by Zepp

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

This is what I'm running now, but I do plan on changing it once the Force of Will power pool goes live.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.4
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Kitsune: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Illusion Control
Secondary Power Set: Storm Summoning
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Primal Forces Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blind -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), GldJvl-Dam%(3), NrnSht-Dam%(5), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(5), UnbCns-Dam%(7)
Level 1: Gale -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A)
Level 2: Deceive -- CrcPrs-Conf%(A), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(7), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(9), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(9), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(11), CrcPrs-Conf(11)
Level 4: Arcane Bolt -- EntChs-Acc/Dmg(A), EntChs-Dmg/EndRdx(17), EntChs-Dmg/Rchg(19), EntChs-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), EntChs-Heal%(21), FrcFdb-Rechg%(21)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(36), Rct-ResDam%(40), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(48)
Level 8: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 10: Steamy Mist -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(17), GldArm-3defTpProc(25), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(25)
Level 12: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 14: Enflame -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(27), Rgn-Dmg(27), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(29)
Level 16: Freezing Rain -- UndDfn-Rchg/EndRdx(A), UndDfn-Rchg(31), AchHee-ResDeb%(31)
Level 18: Phantom Army -- ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33), SlbAll-Dmg/Rchg(33), SlbAll-Build%(34)
Level 20: Hurricane -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(34), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(34), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(36), FrcFdb-Rechg%(48)
Level 22: Group Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Spectral Terror -- GlmoftheA-Dam%(A), SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(36)
Level 28: Thunder Clap -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(37), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(37), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(39)
Level 30: Superior Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Phantasm -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(A), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(39), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(40), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), ExpStr-Dam%(50)
Level 35: Tornado -- OvrFrc-Dam/KB(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(42), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(42), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(42), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), FrcFdb-Rechg%(43)
Level 38: Lightning Storm -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(45), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Apc-Acc/Rchg(45), FrcFdb-Rechg%(46)
Level 41: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Energy Torrent -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), ExpStr-Dam%(46), JvlVll-Dam%(46), PstBls-Dam%(48), Dtn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(50), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(50)
Level 47: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Temp Invulnerability -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(13), Pnc-Heal/+End(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15), EndMod-I(15)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 50: Agility Radial Paragon
------------

This is an excellent combo however it can be difficult to pull off initially - Illusion provides no immobilize which really helps out tornadoes. However, there's so much going for it in terms of everything else it becomes "worth it"

I'd personally skip the AOE hold it's recharge is just too long

I'd actually *consider* Thunder Clap, it provides a decent AOE mez that helps lock enemies in, although I can certainly see why people would skip it.

I'd also skip Hurricane (you just don't need it, it's a decent power, but really unneeded and doesn't add "that much")

I'd also skip all the invisibilities in Illusion for Steamy Mist unless you need an LotG mule in which case I'd take Superior.

Deceive is skippable but I find it worthwhile and fun, really helps out if you slot Coercive in it.

Spectral Terror is a 50/50, some will say it's useless and storm will reduce its effectiveness, I can't say I disagree but I do think it reduces their movement by a noticeable degree to where it's wortwhile and it does mitigate damage by still disallowing yourself to really "take hits."

4 hours ago, Coyote said:

This is what I'm running now, but I do plan on changing it once the Force of Will power pool goes live.

(Build link was here)

Ooh. That's an interesting one, Coyote!. You just gave me some ideas! I might bug you in-game sometime if that's okay, since we're both in some of the same Everlasting globals (I'm still working up courage to chat).

In Illusion:

-I like Spectral Wounds, but I don't know that it's 100% essential.

-Bind is a 100% go-to, and one of my favorite ST holds because of its chance to mez nearby targets.

-Deceive is a fantastic ST hold with a fast enough recharge to let you easily stack it on bosses or turn Malta Sappers against their buddies. To me this is a 100% required power.

-Flash is PBAoE AND has an enormous recharge with a long animation time. This is the first "I suggest you skip this" category power, in my opinion.

-Superior Invisibility is awesome in any build that doesn't have a competing stealth power...Like Storm. I'd take it as a LotG mule if you have to take it.

-jGroup Invisibility is not a great power. I would firmly put this is inthe "skip" category unless you have a concept for it.

-Phantom Army is amazing, and it's the reason people play Illusion Controllers. I strongly recommend you get this at level 18 and find a way to get enough recharge in your build to make it perma.

-Spectral Terror is your first AoE mez worth taking. It does a good job of applying Fear, which is one of the funkier mezzes in the game. I like it, but others think it isn't needed with an Ill/Storm.

-Phantasm is a solid pet. It blasts things and makes helpful little decoys. I find it to be squishy, but definitely worth getting.

In Storm:

-Gale is more useful than people give it credit for. It's effectively your first AoE control power, at level 1, and it does its job decently with a single Accuracy IO. I'd like to fit some procs like Force Feedback's +Recharge into my own build someday. It suffers a bit from low initial accuracy. You have to take it, so you might as well use it.

-O2 Boost is a tiny heal with a long animation and a high cost on a low recharge. I typically safe this for a late-game pick, if at all. Others get more use out of it. It's not an overall bad choice!

-Snow Storm is an Targeted AoE Toggle which slows enemies and drops flying enemies to the ground. It's good with just a single endurance IO in it. Another "I don't hate it, but it's definitely optional" power for me.

-Steamy Mist gives you team stealth as well as around 5% defense to everything (when enhanced) and a bit of Fire/Cold/Energy Resistance. This is a really nice power, but it's rough on the ole' blue bar. I'd say you definitely want it.

-Hurricane! Love it or leave it, this power is a PBAoE toggle aura which knocks enemies back, repels them, drops their range, and absolutely nosedives their ToHot (by a whopping 30%!). Some people skip this power, but I strongly recommend slotting it with a Sudden Acceleration KB/KD proc, a Force Feedback +Recharge proc, and something to reduce its endurance cost and boost its -ToHit debuff (My unfinished build uses two -ToHit Debuff/Endurance Reduction IOs frankenslotted from Dark Watcher's Despair and Dampened Spirits). This is a great power for herding enemies that are fleeing, as well as toggling on the second anything comes into melee range. I love it, but plenty of folks will say to leave it. It's definitely a matter of preference.

-Thunder Clap is a PBAoE Mag 2 stun with a 2.3 second cast time and a 45 second recharge. It has low (60%) base accuracy, but compared to a lot of AoE stuns it has an extremely fast recharge time (45 seconds, when most are in the 90 second recharge range). This means you have to be up close to use it. I personally don't like this as a choice for Illusion/Storm, but I can see you picking it on a controller with the Fire, Gravity, or Dark primary, since they have their own AoE stuns you can use this one with for easily stunning bosses. Again, personal preference.

-Tornado is sort of a must-have power. It's strong source of both damage and control. It also debuffs defenses and stuns at mag 2. I think Thunder Clap was made to be used with this power, because it will allow Tornado's stun to affect bosses and lieutenants. I'd personally jam a Force Feedback +Recharge proc into this baby to help make Phantom Army recharge quickly, as well as at least 4 Expedient Reinforcement IOs to make sure it deals damage and has a 100+% uptime.

-Lightning Storm is another fairly heavy-hitting power. It applies fear, deals damage, and drops recovery for those Storm/Elec Defenders who like playing as Sappers. Ill/Storm is a combo that thrives on its pets, so again, I'd pick up this one right away. 

For pool powers:

-Hasten is a strong choice. Superspeed also stacks with Steamy Mist to become full invisibility.

-I personally like the Flight pool so that I can aim Gust better and have max 3D maneuverability or the option of staying high up and away from the carnage below.

-Combat Jumping is a nice power for a LotG mule, and it gives a little defense if you're trying to softcap.

-Concealment is probably not the best choice. Anything it can do short of Phase Shifting, Superior Invisibility and Group Invisibility can do better.

-Fighting is solid if you want added defense via Weave. Tough is a decent power also, since you can slot in the Gladiator's Armor and Steadfast protection IOs for a combined +6% Defense...Which is actually around what you usually get out of Weave!

-Leadership Powers are always nice, but also have an endurance price. If you can squeeze them into your build without too much trouble, they're a perfectly viable pick.

-If you CAN get Aid Self from the Medicine Pool, it's a good choice, but it isn't essential.

-I'd personally skip the Presence pool entirely.

-Sorcery is a neat pool if you want to add some variety into your build with an added ST attack.

-Teleportation is, well, Teleportation. If you want it, it's there. It doesn't add or subtract anything aside from being able to teleport.

For your Epic/Patron pool, I'd personally got with Mace Mastery. It gives you defense, and you WANT defense over resistance as a controller because your base health is extremely low. 

Sorry for the overly long post, and hopefully it's somewhat helpful!

Edited by Mercurias

10 hours ago, 3333053222 said:

I'd also skip all the invisibilities in Illusion for Steamy Mist unless you need an LotG mule in which case I'd take Superior.

Just thought I'd mention, Group Invisibility Stacks with Steamy Mist...

Edited by Zepp

As Zepp says, I use Group Invisibility not for the Invisibility but for the LotG slot plus a bit of team defense that doesn't detoggle.

Thunderclap is not that bad, since Tornado puts out a bit of Stun which will stack with it to mez a Boss, and the Energy Font IO can be slotted in either Spectral Terror or Thunderclap in order to give another source of Stun stacking. Also, Illusion has a lot of single- target control for LTs and Bosses, but with a low amount of AoE shutdown ability, having a minion-only mez is not as bad for it as it would be for another set that doesn't have multiple single-target mezzes. You Thunderclap for the minions, rotate Blind/Deceive for the LTs and bosses, and shut down the entire spawn. And use Spectral Terror for -ToHit and to keep the Stunned minions from wandering too far.

Spectral Wounds is an excellent 2nd attack, but I couldn't fit it since I wanted Arcane Bolt for the Force Feedback proc since I'm chasing Recharge to limit PA downtime. But if you're not doing that, then it makes sense to drop Arcane Bolt and use Spectral Wounds, since it's a better attack if you don't care about a FF proc.

I do not find the FF proc to be that great. It generally procs less than twice a minute, meaning you only get about 10% actual global recharge from it if it in combat (meaning it won't help perma-hasten between battles).