Fairytale inspired SG looking for members

DreamerFZ

Hi guys!
I am really hyped about this game being back online. Only just discovered it 😜
What I've always wanted to try and create is a SG which is inspired by fairytale characters transformed into modern day superheroes. 

Some basic information:

Name:  Defenders of the Enchanted Kingdom
Alignment: Hero
Roleplay Friendly: Yes
Discord: Not yet
Recruitment Officer: Global chat handle: Proserpina

Username on the forums: DreamerFZ.

Discord: dreamingflowers

Message me in game or on discord, both are totally fine ^.^
Recruitment Message:  Feel free to add to this list. I have lore on each of the characters, the how and why they became heroes etc. Where their powers come from and all that good stuff. 

- Sleeping Beauty (magic defender, empathy/dual pistols) = Inspired by the fairytale of Sleeping Beauty (TAKEN)
- Beautiful Beastmaster (technology mastermind, robotics/force fields) = Inspired by the fairytale of Beauty and the Beast
- Kicker of Glass (magic scrapper, martial arts/ice armor) = Inspired by the fairytale of Cinderella
- Arabian Knight (magic stalker, broad sword/energy aura) = Inspired by a story of the Arabian Nights
- Megara Servant of Hades (magic blaster, fire blast/darkness manipulation) = Inspired by the Legend of Hercules
- Forgotten Princess (magic brute, staff fighting/electric armor) = Inspired by the story of Atlantis
- Jane Jungle Lover (natural scrapper, savage melee/regeneration) = Inspired by the novel Tarzan and the apes
- Dynasty Warrior (natural scrapper, broad sword/willpower) = Inspired by the Chinese story of Hua Mulan
- Alice Queen of Diamonds (magic controller, mind control/time manipulation) = Inspired by Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
- Tink Ferocious Fairy (magic controller, illusion control/force fields) = Inspired by the story of Peter Pan
- Voodoo Slayer (magic mastermind, demon summoning/traps) =  Inspired by  the fairyale Princess and the Frog 
- Pocahontas Wind Legend (natural defender, archery/ nature affinity) =  Inspired by the story of Pocahontas
- Snow White Forbidden Fruit (magic mastermind, beast mastery/poison) = Inspired by the fairytale of Snow White
- Esmeralda Heavens Hellfire (magic scrapper, fiery melee/fiery aura =  Inspired by the story of the Hunchback of Notre-Dame
- Rapunzel Golden Hair (magic defender, empathy/beam or assault rifle) = Inspired by the fairyale of Rapunzel
- Ice Queen (magic controller, ice control/cold domination) = Inspired by the fairytale of the Snow Queen
- Deepsea Siren (magic defender, sonic resonance/water blast) =  Inspired by the fairytale of the Litttle Mermaid
- Eric Sea Defender (natural scrapper, staff fighting/willpower) =  Inspired by the fairytale of the Litttle Mermaid
- Philip Dragon Slayer (magic scrapper, broad sword/shield defense) = Inspired by the fairytale of Sleeping Beauty
- Street Thief (natural stalker, street justice/super reflexes) = Inspired by a story of the Arabian Nights
- Adam The Beast (magic brute, claws/savage melee/invulnerability) = Inspired by the fairytale of Beauty and the Beast
- Hercules Hero of Legend (magic scrapper, broad sword/invulnerability) = Inspired by the Legend of Hercules
- Atlantian Scientist (technology, assault/beam rifle/ devices) = Inspired by the story of Atlantis
- Tarzan Jungle King (natural scrapper, staff fighting/super reflexes) = Inspired by the novel Tarzan and the apes
- Peter Pan Lost Boy (magic scrapper, duel blades radiation armor) = Inspired by the story of Peter Pan

Hope to hear from you guys xxx

Edited by DreamerFZ
  • Like 1

Given the recent updates to the CoC, Homecoming's efforts to legitimize their relationship with NCSoft, and Disney's proclivity for litigation at the slightest provocation, I'd recommend shelving this idea for the moment.  Pick a different theme for inspirations.  Heck, just pick a different source for inspirations.  There's a limitless number of fictional universes in the public domain: choose one of those, instead.  Better to be entirely safe than sorry, at this point.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I think it more helpful to clarify what can and cannot be done versus telling others they can't do it, especially since there is no concrete list of what is or is not allowed in place. 

From what we learned in the CoC update thread, there is nothing wrong with "inspired by" themes so long as the names are not direct copies of trademarked names and costumes are sufficiently different.  As an example, a fairy with blue or pink costume and red hair named something other than Tinkerbell is perfectly fine. 

If in doubt, contact a GM or CR Rep here on the forums and I'm certain they will be happy to help you and answer any questions.  Your idea sounds very cool!  Just change the names to something non-trademarked and alter the costumes up a bit. 

4 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

Given the recent updates to the CoC, Homecoming's efforts to legitimize their relationship with NCSoft, and Disney's proclivity for litigation at the slightest provocation, I'd recommend shelving this idea for the moment.  Pick a different theme for inspirations.  Heck, just pick a different source for inspirations.  There's a limitless number of fictional universes in the public domain: choose one of those, instead.  Better to be entirely safe than sorry, at this point.

Yeah, don't use Disney characters like Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, or Mulan; use Public Domain characters like, say, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, or Mulan. :D

Edited by Williwaw
Added emoticon to make it more obvious I wasn't serious :D
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Williwaw said:

Yeah, don't use Disney characters like Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, or Mulan; use Public Domain characters like, say, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, or Mulan.

Normally, I'd say that this would be okay if they didn't look like the Disney versions (see also: other threads about Marvel's The Mighty Thor™ versus public domain Thor).  However, that would kind of defeat the purpose of the OP's original intention to derive inspiration from the Disney characters.  But why bother poking the bear at this point?

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Alternatively, let the Homecoming folk decide what is or is not acceptable in this case?  Diverging this thread into (yet another) discussion on what we think is ok or not is irrelevant.  We aren't the final decision makers.  If in doubt, as the Homecoming folk for clarification - they have final say.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Alternatively, let the Homecoming folk decide what is or is not acceptable in this case?  Diverging this thread into (yet another) discussion on what we think is ok or not is irrelevant.  We aren't the final decision makers.  If in doubt, as the Homecoming folk for clarification - they have final say.

Agreed.  Or we could lighten the workload of the Homecoming GMs by simply asking: "Is this trip really necessary?"  It might save everyone a lot of trouble and heartache by nipping it in the bud.

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Haha 1

@Rathstar

1 minute ago, Rathulfr said:

Or we could lighten the workload of the Homecoming GMs by simply asking: "Is this trip really necessary?"  It might save everyone a lot of trouble and heartache by nipping it in the bud.

Well, they added this to their rules and I'm sure they realized what the consequences of that decision are.  I'm fairly sure they don't have a "don't bother us" policy either.  There is no harm in asking the decision makers since it is up to them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Well, they added this to their rules and I'm sure they realized what the consequences of that decision are.  I'm fairly sure they don't have a "don't bother us" policy either.  There is no harm in asking the decision makers since it is up to them.

Agreed.  I was merely replying to the OP's post, which seemed to be addressed to the community at large, rather than the GMs.  *shrug*

@Rathstar

Another idea just occurred to me.  Since Disney made their fortune on a model of appropriating public domain characters, how about an SG/VG of public domain characters that specifically don't look their Disney equivalents, and who are in a never-ending battle with [an unnamed American conglomerate] over being appropriated by them?  I think it would be hilarious to read bios about super-heroes/villains who are constantly fending off legal attacks by an army of faceless corporate lawyers instead of fighting/committing crimes. 😋

(edit) The SG/VG could be named "Defendants of the Public Domain" or something like that.

(edit) "Faceless Corporate Lawyers" would also be a good VG name. 🤣

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Haha 1

@Rathstar

• DreamerFZ changed the title to Fairytale inspired SG looking for members
On 9/30/2019 at 10:18 AM, DreamerFZ said:

Hi guys!
I am really hyped about this game being back online. Only just discovered it 😜
What I've always wanted to try and create is a SG which is inspired by fairytale characters transformed into modern day superheroes. 

Welcome back!  Out of curiosity, how closely tied to the fairytales that you mentioned, are you looking for the character to be?  If I wanted to make a "brave woodsman", for instance, would that be acceptable?  What if I wanted to do something inspired by one of Aesop's fables?  Is that too far removed from the feel you're going for?  Cheers!

That would both work out great!

Any fairytale/story/legends may be used. It makes it fun and interesting. I made that list because I've made designs for those characters. In case anyone wanted to use them, they would be ready to go.

A brave woodsman would be awesome too ^.^

• Like 1

• 1 month later
On 9/30/2019 at 3:24 PM, Rathulfr said:

Fairytales are not the intellectual property of Disney. Every single Disney story is a rehash of a classic or at least previously existing story.

But yeah, this obviously has a Disney theme rather than a fairytale theme. I'd love to contribute a Big Bad Wolf or Red Riding Hood character though.

On 11/6/2019 at 12:35 AM, Dugunthi said:

Fairytales are not the intellectual property of Disney. Every single Disney story is a rehash of a classic or at least previously existing story.

But yeah, this obviously has a Disney theme rather than a fairytale theme. I'd love to contribute a Big Bad Wolf or Red Riding Hood character though.

That would be great!

You can always contact me on here. I haven't been online much the past few weeks. Luckily I haven't missed much. 

You are more than welcome to create both or either of those ^.^

I clicked over because the idea sounded neat.  But now I'm just confused.  There's a long list of ready-made characters, complete apparently with names, ATs, powersets, backstory, and costumes (?), which is a turn off for obvious reasons, but then it's okay to create our own fairy tale inspired toons with our own names, backstories, and costumes?  And if you're not around for weeks at a time, how does that work?  Do you have a deputy who is online and can run things in your extended absence/s? 

I do love the idea, though, and as long as no one dips into the Disney well, think it should be fine in terms of CoC.  As others have mentioned, the fairy tales themselves are in the public domain, so are fair game (just as figures from Greek, Roman, Celtic, etc. mythology are). 

Edited by Tahliah

• 3 weeks later