[Inquiry] Datamine IO usage?

1 hour ago, boggo2300 said:

I don't EVER build for Uber, I always build for concept, Grey Wanderer my WS is a terrible awful WS build, but he is probably the single most fun character I've ever played (though I could be biased, I did meet my wife playing him 😄 )

That's awesome, congrats!!

Concept builds are fun as hell with IO's too, just ask @Sir Myshkin😉 Loading up with tons of procs and/or even taking weird powers just to put procs in them is hilarious at times.

That said, like with the power %'s it will be interesting at the least to see what the most taken and least taken IOs are.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:44 AM, Megajoule said:

I'm only now transitioning off/respeccing out of SOs for most of my characters (nearly all of which are 50), having leveled them that way - expensive though it can get, replacing them every 5 levels - because I'm an oldbie and I understand SOs.  IOs, especially set IOs, I'm only now starting to figure out, years after Issue 9.  (Per last page, back on live I often simply couldn't afford the really good ones, so I never learned.)

I almost always start with plain IOs (not the Sets) as soon as possible, because they're just like SOs, but they don't wear out.  At level 22 you can slot IOs that have around the same bonus as SOs, making them totally worth the time investment to make or buy.  And below that you can often get IOs cheap on the market because people dump them.

That's it.  That's my full theory of how to use IOs.  1. Buy at level 22.  2. Below that make cheapo bids on the market.

There's a few specific cases where I frankenslot IO Sets at lower levels, such as Widow Mind Link.  But those are really rare for me.

• Like 1

I try to slot uniques as soon as feasible.  Def uniques, stamina and helth uniques first. 

I try to slot ATOs at level 10 or so.

I built in some kinetic combat sets at level 17-20 since those are really helpful.

Then as I can I throw in LOTG recharge IOs.  

By the time I'm 35, I have a fairly complete build.  

2 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Not sure this dataming would even be useful. 

There are a lot of people that level characters to 50 then stop playing them, thus don't ever finish builds.

There are also players that level to 50 then strip out IOs to mail the next project. 

I think showing it per account would be better then, on top of say unique per character or something

13 hours ago, nihilii said:

Devs have the data no matter what. A few months back, Leandro was datamining whether forum posters who reacted to changes on the Test server had actually logged to the game accounts tied to those forum accounts.

In comparison, mere players having access to data doesn't seem that big of a deal. Designs can be as nefarious as possible but from a player they'll be just that, designs. Without the power to actually implement change, the potential for "malevolence" amounts to little more than nothing.

Hmm.  Of course I can't be the only one who mostly plays on a different account than the one I use for the forums.

27 minutes ago, Galaxy Brain said:

I think showing it per account would be better then, on top of say unique per character or something

The longer I've been back in COH though, the more it seems power creep/bloat is a bigger issue than Newbie Friendliness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1