Plz Add Tab-Targeting by Range

magicjtv

User Interface

Under Options/Keymapping/Targeting add the following option:

Target By Range true/false

Functionality

False is the default, indicating targeting works just as it does now.

Selecting true causes the tab key to select the nearest enemy when no enemy is selected, and the next-nearest enemy when an enemy is already selected.

You already have Target_Enemy_Near.

Simply rebind your tab to /Target_Enemy_Near Alive

Also, Target_Enemy_Next (the default) already IS determined by proximity.  Near-to-far.

Edited by Hyperstrike

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

11 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

You already have Target_Enemy_Near.

Simply rebind your tab to /Target_Enemy_Near Alive

Also, Target_Enemy_Next (the default) already IS determined by proximity.  Near-to-far.

Awesome! It should be trivial for the Devs to implement my suggestion using this.

This is basic functionality. It shouldn't require players to know the command syntax to accomplish.

14 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

I suggest you never play a Kheldian if thats how you feel,  you'll hate it

War Shades are one of my favorite ATs.

All I'm saying is this is basic functionality. It affects almost everything you do. It shouldn't require knowing command syntax to operate in a sensible manner.

19 minutes ago, magicjtv said:

War Shades are one of my favorite ATs.

All I'm saying is this is basic functionality. It affects almost everything you do. It shouldn't require knowing command syntax to operate in a sensible manner.

It functions in a sensible manner.

You want it to function in a different way. A method exists to make it work how you want it to work so just do that instead of increasing the dev workload on a QoL change that would probably only affect a very small portion of the playerbase.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

It functions in a sensible manner.

You want it to function in a different way. A method exists to make it work how you want it to work so just do that instead of increasing the dev workload on a QoL change that would probably only affect a very small portion of the playerbase.

When I hit tab with no enemy targeted I almost never get the nearest enemy. Sometimes, on open space maps, I get an enemy on the far side of the map. That's not sensible.

3 minutes ago, Andrewvm said:

No need to change anything: just go to options/key mapping and look under targeting. Target enemy near is already there

Yes. And setting that will make the tab key select the nearest enemy. No matter how many times you hit tab, you'll get the nearest enemy. It never cycles through.

21 minutes ago, magicjtv said:

When I hit tab with no enemy targeted I almost never get the nearest enemy. Sometimes, on open space maps, I get an enemy on the far side of the map. That's not sensible.

Yes. And setting that will make the tab key select the nearest enemy. No matter how many times you hit tab, you'll get the nearest enemy. It never cycles through.

If you almost never get the nearest enemy when tab-targeting with no enemy selected then there's a Glitch.

6 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

If you almost never get the nearest enemy when tab-targeting with no enemy selected then there's a Glitch.

If it picks the nearest enemy on Tab for everyone else, why are people setting up key binds to commands to do it?

Just now, magicjtv said:

If it picks the nearest enemy on Tab for everyone else, why are people setting up key binds to commands to do it?

Using the keybind makes it always jump to the closest target, rather than cycling to the farthest.

Target_Enemy_Next goes from Near to Far based on your current target, even defeated targets.

Target_Enemy_Near targets the nearest enemy. Invariably. You're targeting a dude on you and hit tab with Near instead of Next? Nothing happens. You're already targeting the nearest enemy. It doesn't cycle. It doesn't progress up the chain. It's "Whoever is closest"

Pretty much useful only to Melee Characters.

6 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

Using the keybind makes it always jump to the closest target, rather than cycling to the farthest.

Target_Enemy_Next goes from Near to Far based on your current target, even defeated targets.

Target_Enemy_Near targets the nearest enemy. Invariably. You're targeting a dude on you and hit tab with Near instead of Next? Nothing happens. You're already targeting the nearest enemy. It doesn't cycle. It doesn't progress up the chain. It's "Whoever is closest"

Pretty much useful only to Melee Characters.

So are you familiar with how the default tab algorithm works? Is there something I can look for to see if I'm doing it wrong?

What I want from the tab key is when no enemy is selected, use the Target_Enemy_Near functionality. When there's already an enemy selected use Target_Enemy_Next.

Edited by magicjtv

13 minutes ago, magicjtv said:

So are you familiar with how the default tab algorithm works? Is there something I can look for to see if I'm doing it wrong?

What I want from the tab key is when no enemy is selected, use the Target_Enemy_Near functionality. When there's already an enemy selected use Target_Enemy_Next.

That's how it works by default.

If it's not functioning that way, for you, it's a glitch.

7 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

That's how it works by default.

If it's not functioning that way, for you, it's a glitch.

Well, there's a glitch. The way it works for me is so bad I've often thought about leaving the game.

I'm not familiar with setting up commands. Is there a way I can write something like this:

if (NO_ENEMY_SELECTED) Target_Enemy_Near else Target_Enemy_Next

14 minutes ago, magicjtv said:

Well, there's a glitch. The way it works for me is so bad I've often thought about leaving the game.

I'm not familiar with setting up commands. Is there a way I can write something like this:

if (NO_ENEMY_SELECTED) Target_Enemy_Near else Target_Enemy_Next

No. 

The macro/keybind methodology follows a very strict setup. What you -could- do, though is bind ` with "Near" and leave Tab with "Next"

Then just always ` target first and tab-target after you've got the one you want.

Me? I typically mouse-select my first target, then tab-target from there. I don't always want the closest or the farthest, often I go for middle of the pack. But that's just me.

3 hours ago, magicjtv said:

Awesome! It should be trivial for the Devs to implement my suggestion using this.

This is basic functionality. It shouldn't require players to know the command syntax to accomplish.

Why should they re-implement functionality that's already in the game and under user control?

1 hour ago, magicjtv said:

Then leave TAB as NEAR and map ALT+TAB as NEXT.