Slow Character Retrieval

krj12

I remember seeing a post about this weeks ago, maybe on reddit....

Is there any plan on speeding up the character list?  It currently takes 2-3 minutes to bring up my characters ( on Excelsior ).  I don't remember it being like this on live,

Could it be something as simple as adding an index on a table?

Seems like this could be a major turnoff for new players checking the game out.

Edited by krj12

In on Windows 10 and since Friday its been slow pulling up character list.  Normally its maybe 5 seconds at most  but this weekend its up to and sometimes beyond 30 seconds.  I think server load has to have something to do with it since I havent had this issue in over a month since I updated my windows and graphics.

• 2 weeks later

The slow Win 7 reading of the character list started around the time the queue code was added. If I'm waiting on the character list to load and I try to back out it actually says "do you want to lose your place in the queue" still. Actually before I took a break for the summer one of the devs had found that mention noteworthy and was going to follow up with a couple of us who were discussing this in another thread after checking into something, but I never got a ping about it.

Yes, W7 is EOL but I'm not planning to upgrade my gaming machine to Win 10.

Ah, and I found the original/main thread on this topic:

Edited by Erydanus

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:11 AM, ShardWarrior said:

I had the same issue on my older laptop.  Running the free upgrade to Windows 10 (which still works) fixed this for me. 

Of course it did. It's a Windows 7 problem, specifically, introduced with the queue code.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!