What does Psychic Blast pair well with?

Blastit

I was thinking of making a character to play old-fashioned Psychic Blast on, because I never got around to experiencing the ups and downs of the set. Corruptors seem to be the best match for it due to skipping its worst attack and because Blasters get their own, more streamlined version bleh.

Is there any support set that it somehow synergises with? I'm not looking to make a new main nor do I have a solid concept that I need to adapt. I skimmed the lvl50 character data and the most common combo was Kinetics, and I can see why. If you're going to play something for its psi damage you might as well maximise it, y'know? I was initially thinking Dark Miasma because it's another set I haven't experienced. Storm Summoning is always fun and it does provide AoE to round out PB's single-target attacks. Then I thought about Traps, because it's an unusual set. Or maybe there's no particular synergy anywhere and it's just a matter of picking an individually good secondary. Hm.

So does anyone here have any strongly held opinions or personal musings they would like to share?

I might pair Psychic with /Radiation.

As a set, Psychic Blast has fairly light control and strongly favors being able to hang back at long range (due to Psychic Scream). While many enemies have no resistance to psychic damage, those enemies who do, resist it heavily. Going with /Radiation gives you the option of staying at range fairly safely, gives you a nice buff, some healing, and a good amount of debuffing to help chew through enemies that resist Psychic damage. 

Radiation Emission stands as strong on its own as any set can claim to do, I suppose. I think I'll give it a whirl. It matures decently early so it's not as much investment as Storm to figure out if I like the combo.Thanks for the tip.

Have you considered Psy/Willpower Sentinel for that Sanctioned Psyker vibe?  😎

Formerly Negative_Man on the CoH forums (I'm more positive nowadays)

"I don't want it to appear that I'm willing to settle for anything. No-one likes a zombie without standards." -UnknownSubject

I once had a psychic blast/traps corruptor. His theme was that he'd escaped from Arachnos' training program for widows & spiders and taken some gadgets with him. Directly synergistic? Not exactly. Able to use the traps effectively and enjoy not being able to be mezzed? Yup.  I played on a mostly all defender team so everyone enjoyed the generator and the acid mortar and so on.

Dark miasma is also a very solid set to pair with it. I don't think there's anything that doesn't work with Dark but in particular the controllery nature of the set gives you the ability to leverage your blasts maybe a little more effectively. Fearsome Stare is so much control and then yo can stack Tar Patch and really unload with goodies like Psionic Tornado and Psychic Wail.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

• 1 month later

A little something I put together today since I was asking myself the same exact question. Should run smoothly, 2 end/sec recovered even with super speed toggled, almost ranged soft cap and good S/L resists. Perma AM and almost Perma Hasten with it perma due to FF being in your attack chain enough to proc it. I'm a little rusty on Corruptors but something you can start from.

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Corruptor
Primary Power Set: Psychic Blast
Secondary Power Set: Radiation Emission
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Dark Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Subdue -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 1: Radiant Aura -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(7), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(37), NmnCnv-Heal(40), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(40), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(42)
Level 2: Psionic Lance -- StnoftheM-Dam%(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(5), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(17), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(19), Apc-Dam%(34)
Level 4: Radiation Infection -- DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(A), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb(7), DmpSpr-Rchg/EndRdx(39), DmpSpr-ToHitDeb/Rchg/EndRdx(40)
Level 6: Accelerate Metabolism -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(11), EffAdp-EndMod/EndRdx(43)
Level 8: Telekinetic Blast -- SprScrBls-Rchg/+End(A), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg(9), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Thn-Acc/Dmg(17), FrcFdb-Rechg%(25), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(46)
Level 10: Enervating Field -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Will Domination -- SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMlcoft-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprMlcoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprMlcoft-Rchg/Dmg%(39)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 18: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(19)
Level 20: Lingering Radiation -- TmpRdn-Acc/EndRdx(A), RechRdx-I(21)
Level 22: Weave -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(23), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(23), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(25), RedFrt-Def(36), RedFrt-EndRdx(50)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(37)
Level 26: Psychic Scream -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(27), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(27), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(31)
Level 28: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def(29), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(29), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(50)
Level 30: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(37)
Level 32: Psychic Wail -- SprScrBls-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprScrBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Arm-Dam%(33), Obl-%Dam(34), ScrDrv-Dam%(34)
Level 35: Dark Consumption -- EffAdp-Acc/Rchg(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc/Rchg(36)
Level 38: Fallout -- Dtn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A)
Level 41: Dark Embrace -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(42), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(42), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(43)
Level 44: Soul Drain -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(45), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(45), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(45), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(46), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(46)
Level 47: Soul Transfer -- Heal-I(A)
Level 49: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Scourge
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(39), Prv-Absorb%(43), Prv-Heal(48)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon
Level 50: Clarion Partial Core Invocation
------------

Edited by Gyffes