Drop a name, pick up a name!

Primana

14 hours ago, MaskedMan said:

So, I just rolled a ninja (nb/electric) who is a former Tsoo. He has the reptilian face cosmetic. I am trying for a name that will fit the lore and came up with 'Storm Cobra'. It's cool enough, but I'm not in love with it. I think it's  mostly because cobras aren't native to Japan and I let little details like that bother me (I am difficult to live with). The word 'serpent' is used often with Tsoo characters and I think 'viper' would be acceptable. Maybe I'm making a big to-do about nothing. Lemme know what you think.

ninjaguy2.jpg

ninjaguy1.jpg

Good looking character. Storm Cobra is a great name.

23 hours ago, MaskedMan said:

Thank you. I'm trying to warm up to the name.

Are you looking specifically for Japan because he's Tsoo or because you want a Japanese character? There are Cobras in China and various southeast Asian lands. The Tsoo are multi-national. Tub-Ci refers to his people as Hmong which would make him most likely from southeastern China or the northern parts of Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand. "Tsoo" is also a Hmong word (which loosely translates to "hit," "smash," etc. I think IG lore claims it means "Destroyers". They moved in on the Hong Kong Triads in Talos Island and Indy Port. Their enforcers are called Pha. The Ink Men are "ink men" and not "yakuza" or "ninja." Being given a cool nickname would most likely have meaning to the the group (the Tsoo) and wouldn't be limited to one country or nationality unless it was derogatory or funny and just stuck ("The Big Nose German") but there's not much Japanese seasoning in the Tsoo lore overall.

I'm just bringing this up in case you are fretting about a technicality that isn't really an issue when it makes contact with the lore.

2 hours ago, Acrizer said:

Are you looking specifically for Japan because he's Tsoo or because you want a Japanese character? There are Cobras in China and various southeast Asian lands. The Tsoo are multi-national. Tub-Ci refers to his people as Hmong which would make him most likely from southeastern China or the northern parts of Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand. "Tsoo" is also a Hmong word (which loosely translates to "hit," "smash," etc. I think IG lore claims it means "Destroyers". They moved in on the Hong Kong Triads in Talos Island and Indy Port. Their enforcers are called Pha. The Ink Men are "ink men" and not "yakuza" or "ninja." Being given a cool nickname would most likely have meaning to the the group (the Tsoo) and wouldn't be limited to one country or nationality unless it was derogatory or funny and just stuck ("The Big Nose German") but there's not much Japanese seasoning in the Tsoo lore overall.

I'm just bringing this up in case you are fretting about a technicality that isn't really an issue when it makes contact with the lore.

It's funny you mention this because I was perusing Tsoo lore (wiki page) again, and it must not have stuck the first time I read it. You are totally right. I think I got it in my head that Tsoo hitmen are ninjas and ninjas are Japanese. But, this is all good since it opens things up a little. 

• 3 weeks later