Can't rearrange character select list

Dragone

I try to move my characters on the list so my highest is on page one at the top. I tried to do that with a new toon but when I log off and back on it is back on the last page at the bottom. None of the toons stay where I move them to. Is this a known issue or is a setting been changed I need to correct?

This should not be happening. You should be able to prioritize your list of toons and have them stay where you want them too. I believe this information is kept locally on your computer. For some reason it sounds like it isn't being written or retrieved when you exit or enter the game.

Edited by Arc-Mage

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

I swear I replied to this...

Anyway, the game keeps a local copy to control the sorting and this file appears to be getting somehow corrupted or misinterpreted with HC as I never recall the issue on live. That said, there IS something about your installation that may be causing this IF this has been constantly happening since you've installed the game.

Firstly, make sure you've installed the game as suggested: C:\Games\CoH as if you don't, then there's a chance you've installed it into a protected location (Documents, Downloads, etc) that Windows likes to not let you mess too much with.

Secondly, the file you're looking for is inside of  ...\CoH\[ACCOUNT NAME]\PlayerSlot.txt and is able to be edited by anything like Notepad, Word, etc. I highly suggest Notepad as it won't introduce nasty hidden characters like Wordpad or Word do. From here you can do a few things. You can simply delete the file and rearrange in-game at which point it'll recreate the file accordingly (make sure you don't have the file open!!!). You can copy it elsewhere and Then delete it (just in case). OR, you can simply remove the character that keeps going the wrong place. I don't suggest the last one unless you're comfortable with this sort of thing.

Note: If you have more than one account, then you're going to have more than one file. See mine for reference of how the game does things.

playerslot.txt

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

15 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

You can simply delete the file and rearrange in-game at which point it'll recreate the file accordingly (make sure you don't have the file open!!!). 

Note: If you have more than one account, then you're going to have more than one file. See mine for reference of how the game does things.

playerslot.txt 398 B · 0 downloads

Thank you this helped tremendously! My list is now how I wanted it 🙂

3 hours ago, EmmySky said:

Ok, because I tend to be a glutton for punishment, as a .txt file can you open it and edit it (notepad or wordpad) and have them appear as you like rather than dragging on the character screen (which my mouse is kinda screwy and drops stuff)?

If your heart desired, you could manually edit the file so long as the general format stayed the same. I strongly suggest Notepad though. And Don't do it while the game's running. >.<

Note: the number at the end is the slot number starting from the first one (slot 0). If I felt like getting back into programming, then I could probably make something simple that would let you put the info in and it would make a file, but....nopes. :p

Edited by WanderingAries
  • Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

31 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

If your heart desired, you could manually edit the file so long as the general format stayed the same. I strongly suggest Notepad though. And Don't do it while the game's running. >.<

Note: the number at the end is the slot number starting from the first one (slot 0). If I felt like getting back into programming, then I could probably make something simple that would let you put the info in and it would make a file, but....nopes. 😛

Thank you, I think I can manage to NOT screw it up but just in case I will save a spare copy to replace it with lol