Looking for help with Dark/Titan Build

Calamity Cain

Alright, since hopping on Homecoming I've been paying much more attention to my build. I'm a roleplayer at heart and so it never mattered much to me back in Live, but it's been fun to dive in and really make a character shine in combat. Y'know, actually playing the game can be fun too. 😛

I always stayed away from Tankers because it never felt right to me - and after looking into it I think it's because Tankers take some understanding to work properly. You aren't just a hittin' stick - which is my default mode - your job is to take hits and keep attention on you. If you can kill a bunch of stuff too, all the better. Well I also found out you need to mind their build to fill this role adequately on any given team.

I rolled a Dark / Titan tank. It's my understanding this combo is gonna be an end hog. Since I'm a newbie at builds in general, and at Tanking, I was hoping I could get some pointers on a build for this guy.

I've attached my end-game build, but it's way incomplete. If someone has an existing Dark/Titan build, I'd love to see it! But even just some pointers on power selection, slots, and which sets to aim for.

Goals for the build:

• Tankitude: I want to actually be able to play Tank in most teams and do the thing where I aggro the mobs for my teammates and never die.
  • End Management: I hate running out of Endurance. Help me make sure that never happens.
  • Murder: While I wanna take a hit, I'd love to be able to deal the hurt as well.
  • Decent leveling: I'm not against PLing, but if I could manage to level normally with a survivable, end efficient build that'd be cool too
  • Decent cost: If it's expensive, it's expensive, but if I don't have to farm for months just to finish the build I'd be thankful.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Gravemaster: Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Dark Armor
Secondary Power Set: Titan Weapons
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
------------
Level 1:    Death Shroud            Empty(A), Empty(3), Empty(13), Empty(15), Empty(17), Empty(19)
Level 1:    Defensive Sweep            Empty(A), Empty(3), Empty(21), Empty(23), Empty(25), Empty(25)
Level 2:    Dark Embrace            Empty(A), Empty(5), Empty(27), Empty(29), Empty(31), Empty(31)
Level 4:    Murky Cloud            Empty(A), Empty(5), Empty(33), Empty(33), Empty(34), Empty(34)
Level 6:    Titan Sweep            Empty(A), Empty(7), Empty(34), Empty(36), Empty(36), Empty(37)
Level 8:    Obsidian Shield            Empty(A), Empty(9), Empty(37), Empty(37), Empty(39), Empty(39)
Level 10:    Taunt                Empty(A), Empty(11)
Level 12:    Dark Regeneration        Empty(A), Empty(13)
Level 14:    Combat Jumping            Empty(A), Empty(15)
Level 16:    Cloak of Darkness        Empty(A), Empty(17), Empty(40), Empty(40), Empty(40), Empty(42)
Level 18:    Follow Through            Empty(A), Empty(19), Empty(42), Empty(43), Empty(43), Empty(43)
Level 20:    Cloak of Fear            Empty(A), Empty(21)
Level 22:    Hasten                Empty(A), Empty(23)
Level 24:    Kick                Empty(A)
Level 26:    Oppressive Gloom        Empty(A), Empty(27), Empty(45), Empty(45), Empty(46), Empty(46)
Level 28:    Tough                Empty(A), Empty(29)
Level 30:    Weave                Empty(A), Empty(31)
Level 32:    Rend Armor            Empty(A), Empty(33), Empty(46), Empty(48), Empty(48), Empty(48)
Level 35:    Assault                Empty(A), Empty(36)
Level 38:    Arc of Destruction        Empty(A), Empty(39), Empty(50), Empty(50), Empty(50)
Level 41:    Conserve Power            Empty(A), Empty(42)
Level 44:    Physical Perfection        Empty(A), Empty(45)
Level 47:    Focused Accuracy        Empty(A)
Level 49:    Maneuvers            Empty(A)
Level 1:    Brawl                Empty(A)
Level 1:    Gauntlet    
Level 1:    Prestige Power Dash        Empty(A)
Level 1:    Prestige Power Slide        Empty(A)
Level 1:    Prestige Power Quick        Empty(A)
Level 1:    Prestige Power Rush        Empty(A)
Level 1:    Prestige Power Surge        Empty(A)
Level 1:    Sprint                Empty(A)
Level 2:    Rest                Empty(A)
Level 1:    Health                Empty(A), Empty(7)
Level 1:    Hurdle                Empty(A)
Level 1:    Stamina                Empty(A), Empty(9), Empty(11)
Level 1:    Swift                Empty(A)
Level 1:    Momentum    
Level 50:    Resilient Radial Paragon    
Level 50:    Mighty Radial Final Judgement    
Level 50:    Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface    
Level 50:    Phantom Core Superior Ally    
Level 50:    Ageless Core Epiphany    
Level 50:    Melee Radial Embodiment    
------------

Gravemaster - Tanker (Dark Armor).mxd

Edited by Calamity Cain
Revision

Can't post my build at the moment, and I generally tend not too, so I'll just toss around some pennies for you to think about. 

I skipped Titan Sweep but took Crushing Blow.  AoE attacks are very expensive endurance wise so relying on Defensive Sweep, Titan Sweep and Death Shroud is going to strain your endurance early on.  Crushing Blow is a reasonable filler attack later on but a bit of a work horse in the earlier game.  You can take or leave Crushing Blow, totally, but I took it over Titan Sweep.  Dropping Titan Sweep was a tough choice (I didn't want to let it go) but in the end it didn't make the cut.  In actual practice Arc of Destruction and Whirling Smash are just fine.  Oh, you skipped Whirling Smash... I'd reconsider that.  Titan Sweep is a cone but Whirling Smashing is PBAoE (so 360 degrees). 

Dark Regeneration is very very expensive to cast.  You'd want more than just 2 slots to cover accuracy, endurance, and recharge needs. 

Cloak of Fear has pretty crappy base accuracy (60%) and it is an expensive toggle to run.  I skipped it on my DA/TW but if I did take it then I would make sure it had some more slots.  I'd probably have to choose between Cloak of Fear vs Death Shroud since I run a lot of toggles.  Anyway, if you want to keep Cloak of Fear consider slots for accuracy, endurance, and to hit debuff. 

Oppressive Gloom can get away with fewer slots unless you're looking for a specific set to go in there.  It has a normal base accuracy of 75% and it is fairly inexpensive on endurance drain (it takes some health instead).  I also skipped that, but there are good reasons to take it + Cloak of Fear.

Focused Accuracy is a massive endurance sink.  If you really think you need a toggle with to hit buffs, then take Tactics.  You can build your accuracy up though through sets and a Kismet +6 to hit can cap off all you need.  I do have Maneuvers and Assault in my build.  I don't always run Assault though. 

You may actually want 3 slots in Health if nothing more than being able to hold all 3 unique IOs that increase endurance or proc % of your endurance (Numina, Miracle, Panacea).  Panacea can be kinda pricey but the other two are fairly reasonable most of the time.  Same deal with Performance Shifter.  Endurance won't be as big an issue once you get those procs in there, but running just basic SO's or common IO's it will be a drag.  You'll need to pace yourself when pushing offensive. 

Not sure what kind of budget you have for this but a final build that looks to really invest in it can be pretty freaking powerful.  Without a big budget you're going to want a lot of endurance reduction in your toggles and attacks just so you don't run out of gas.  With some IOs (notably the unique endurance procs) this will get better but will still take some pacing of yourself until you finish sets in your attacks/toggles. 

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat and there are some great Dark Armor posts within the Tanker forum to get you some ideas.

• Thanks 1

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Gravemaster: Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Dark Armor
Secondary Power Set: Titan Weapons
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Death Shroud -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(3), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(7), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 1: Defensive Sweep -- FuroftheG-Acc/Dmg(A), FuroftheG-Dam/Rech(3), FuroftheG-Dam/End/Rech(9), FuroftheG-Acc/End/Rech(23), FuroftheG-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(37)
Level 2: Dark Embrace -- GldArm-ResDam(A), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(5), GldArm-End/Res(11), GldArm-3defTpProc(25), GldArm-RechEnd(37), GldArm-RechRes(46)
Level 4: Murky Cloud -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(5), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(13), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37), UnbGrd-Max HP%(48)
Level 6: Obsidian Shield -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(7), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(15), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), Ags-ResDam(40), Ags-Psi/Status(48)
Level 8: Crushing Blow -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(40)
Level 10: Dark Regeneration -- Acc-I(A), EndRdx-I(11), RechRdx-I(17)
Level 12: Cloak of Darkness -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(A), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(13), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(19), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(33), ShlWal-Def(40), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(48)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- Rct-ResDam%(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(15)
Level 16: Taunt -- PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(A)
Level 18: Follow Through -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 20: Build Momentum -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 24: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Oppressive Gloom -- AbsAmz-Stun(A), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(27), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(27), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(34), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(42)
Level 28: Rend Armor -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(50)
Level 30: Tough -- GldArm-ResDam(A), GldArm-End/Res(31)
Level 32: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def(33)
Level 35: Whirling Smash -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(46)
Level 38: Arc of Destruction -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(39), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(39), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(39), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(45), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(46)
Level 41: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A)
Level 44: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 47: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A), EffAdp-EndMod/EndRdx(50), EffAdp-EndMod(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-Heal(43), Pnc-Heal/+End(43)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(43), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(45)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Momentum 
Level 50: Mighty Radial Final Judgement 
Level 50: Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Phantom Core Superior Ally 
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Melee Radial Embodiment 
Level 50: Cardiac Core Paragon 
------------

So that's my first crack at it, taking a cue from you oldskool. Again, complete noob but I just go with what seem to be the best sets from other builds I've checked out. I don't care about cost atm. Total pie in the sky, just to explore what a good build can do.

Some questions off the bat, since I'm not always sure what I'm looking at in mids:

• Do I need Cardiac (and/or Ageless) if I've slotted decently for EndMod? Or is the amount of slots I'd need to make up for those Incarnate bits too many?
  • Being a Tanker, should I slot "Taunt" more? Or does real tanking rely more on the taunt aura I've been hearing about to attract aggro?
  • What's your recommended attack sequence for Titan Weapons, and how should that affect my slotting? I maxed out the attacks that seemed like my real killers, both for bosses and mobs.

You can make it work without Ageless.

But... I feel Ageless is the optimal Destiny pick for a DA/TW tanker. Especially because, what else would you pick for Destiny?

- Clarion isn't too interesting, we have full mez protection

- Rebirth is relatively less interesting, because we have Dark Regeneration

- Barrier is the alternative "legitimate" pick, giving us a window of invulnerability. This can be one way to go, but at the same time, DA/TW is so sturdy to start with... I'd rather use Ageless consistently and save so many slots on endurance than have Barrier sit unused most of the time. (But both approaches are valid, so YMMV)

The optimal attack chain for TW is Follow Through -> Crushing Blow -> Rend Armor -> Follow Through -> Crushing Blow -> Arc of Destruction.

This is another thing Ageless helps with: this chain requires high levels of recharge, and every little bit helps.

Because we're Tankers we should apply Bruising, one of the Crushing Blows should be replaced with Defensive Sweep. Ideally the first. And, if you're fighting a crowd, you can swap the other Crushing Blow for Whirling Smash.

(In a sense that also means you could get away with less recharge than optimal, adding DS and WS to the chain rather than replacing CBs. Although you'll have to experiment and see how it affects your momentum.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can make DA/TW work without Ageless like Nihilii points out.  Same goes for Cardiac.  You don't need them.  Cardiac though is a huge boon to the pairing though.  You get an improvement to endurance reduction which applies to your attacks as well as your toggles.  That's the reason why I'd recommend it.  You'll save endurance on offense in any content in the 45+ range (if you exemplar below 45 you lose your Incarnate perks).  You don't need that much endurance management to play the pair in the lower levels but you do need to be mindful of your end drain. 

I don't think I slotted Taunt with my DA/TW.  If I do slot Taunt it is often to just add a set there for a specific bonus I want.  You should be able to hold enemy attention with the occasional taunt plus the damage pulse out of Death Shroud.  Of course your AoE hits will also apply some taunting from the Tanker inherent.  So in short, you should be good on taunt duration effects just by default.

Nihilii's sequence works once you activate Momentum otherwise Follow Through wouldn't be available. 

Another is Rend Armor -> Follow Through -> Arc of Destruction -> Crushing Blow -> Follow Through.  I can only pull that off during Ageless for a short window since I don't have a ton of Global Recharge (I forgot the exact amount).  When I have those windows of lower recharge I use more Crushing Blows as filler or Defensive Sweep if the buff has dropped off.  

Keep in mind trying to squeeze in all of the best attacks on Titan Weapons can potentially sap your endurance quick.  If you have to cast Dark Regeneration in there that's a huge hit to your blue bar.  Titan Weapons already does pretty extreme damage as it is so there should be NO SHAME in slowing your attacks a bit to avoid draining your endurance.  In lower level content I toss around the occasional Taunts to slow down endurance spend to let my end procs catch up.  In Dark Regeneration I have a +endurance IO just to help it break even.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1