Game Lags Badly after 12-3-19 Patch

SuperDan

I posted this in Discord, but posting here for some additional visibility as it seems this may be a fairly common issue today...

Since the patch the game is dragging really badly. This has not been an issue at all before this patch and I have made no changes to my PC. It took over 45 minutes to download the patch, takes a long time to validate credentials, hangs a while at retrieving character list, takes about 3 times as long to zone, and game play is choppy and and basically unplayable.

I have AT&T fiber into my house, and am getting over 900 MBPS up and down via speedtest dot net with a 2 ms ping time. Computer with plenty of horsepower (not interested in getting into "look how badass my machine is"), antivirus/antimalware disabled while gaming. I have tried running both the 64 and 32 bit clients and am experiencing the same with both. Have also re-validated client files and did not see any improvement.

This appears to be an internet/internal network issue with the hosting provider. If it's not something the dev team isn't already working on I'd be happy to help troubleshoot by running tracert's, ping tests, etc.

I too am having similar issues with lag since the patch.  It took forever to download and play is very difficult as heroes, villains, and even pedestrians and cars are jumping all over the place.  And like Super Dan, I am on AT&T U-Verse.  I haven't lost anything yet, but even my typing is delayed often.  Any suggestions on how we fix our stability?  I was having no issues with game play until I downloaded the patch.

Thanks!

Didn't happen today but recently - as in the last few days...I put some crafted enhancements on /ah and posted, they were grey in the window.  Kept clicking on post because it just hung in limbo and I was robbed a couple million INF.  Maybe unrelated. Meh...whatever.  

Lag, animations skipping, rubber banding, pauses when interacting with any object or talking with any contact, not being able to open doors in maps, Hostiles in maps jerking around all over place when you fight them. I can confirm all of this since yesterday's patch (12/3/19).  Like SuperDan and Toshia I am also on AT&T.  It only happens on CoH, everything else I play is just fine.  My speed is good, usually between 800-900Mbps.

I can also confirm that the patch took an unusually long time to dl, especially on the .pigg files, like they were stuck at certain points.

I did the stupid thing of re-starting Tequila, thinking it would help and believe it may  corrupted some of the .pigg files. Re-validating doesn't seem to help.

I'm going to try a fresh install.

Myself and hubby are also having this issue. Works fine during daytime hours, but evenings tend to lag like crazy.

UK based here - Virgin Internet. 

Thought maybe our problem was where we were playing on an Excelsior, but it's also happening on Reunion.

On 12/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, Scan said:

Works fine during daytime hours, but evenings tend to lag like crazy.

What type of Internet Connection is Virgin using, is it a DSL or Cable Broadband? DSL will usually work well if the bandwidth is high enough but on Cable you can predict when you are going to have issues by when everyone gets out of work and school and comes home and jumps on the Internet. It's actually funny but Cable Companies typically use and Old Token ring Topology for their network. This creates problems. You pay for X amount of Bandwidth, so they set the Max on Your Modem to allow you up to and sometimes slightly more than your plan. However you are on a ring, say your neighborhood, that has this much bandwidth for everyone there. When no one is home life is good, but when you get a bunch of users on, the available Bandwidth to exit the ring to the Internet begins shrinking. Try running a speed test during the day, then run one when you are having issues and compare them to the Bandwidth you are paying for, and you may just need more than you have. CoH has no capacity to mitigate latency or missing packets like a Streaming buffer or Browser can, so you may never notice it there. but in CoH things have to happen in real time or you get Freezes and Map Serves. Good Luck.

• Like 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

3 minutes ago, Marine X said:

What type of Internet Connection is Virgin using, is it a DSL or Cable Broadband? DSL will usually work well if the bandwidth is high enough but on Cable you can predict when you are going to have issues by when everyone gets out of work and school and comes home and jumps on the Internet. It's actually funny but Cable Companies typically use and Old Token ring Topology for their network. This creates problems. You pay for X amount of Bandwidth, so they set the Max on Your Modem to allow you up to and sometimes slightly more than your plan. However you are on a ring, say your neighborhood, that has this much bandwidth for everyone there. When no one is home life is good, but when you get a bunch of users on, the available Bandwidth to exit the ring to the Internet begins shrinking. Try running a speed test during the day, then run one when you are having issues and compare them to the Bandwidth you are paying for, and you may just need more than you have. CoH has no capacity to mitigate latency or missing packets like a Streaming buffer or Browser can, so you may never notice it there. but in CoH things have to happen in real time or you get Freezes and Map Serves. Good Luck.

Good advice.  It also matters if you're using Wi-Fi in a populated area like an apartment or condominium complex.  If you use Wi-Fi in a crowded area during peak times when everyone else in your area is streaming Netflix and using their tablets over Wi-Fi, that may be an issue as well.