Assault Incarnate: Core or Radial?

Menelruin

So, the Core says it has a chance for a temporary damage buff, but how long does the buff last?  The radial hit immediately, for a portion of the damage the triggering power did by itself.  So for a power set with slower, heavier hits, would the Radial version be better?

If you're a Defender, Controller, or (maybe) Dominator: Radial. If you're anything else: Core. If you're a MM: Neither (there's better choices for them).

In most cases the speed at which your attacks run is less relevant than to the damage bonus you ultimately receive (or totally deal). Sets like Scrappers/Stalkers/Blaster are going to be high-yield and have a stronger multiplier off +Dam effects that are multiplicative across the board comparative to a percentage chance of just doubling an initial hit once and a while. Sets that don't have strong modifiers for damage (Defenders) will see more advantageous use of a doubling mechanic since they get less benefit from a +Dam mechanic. This would mostly hold true for Corrs too, but they get Scourge which, in the realm of longer fights, will result in better Scourge values if they're +Dam versus duplicative (which wont involve or benefit Scourge).

Generally speaking, Assault Radial is... kind of underwhelming in general, and probably not worth taking anyway. If you're playing a set that doesn't significantly benefit from +Dam in meaningful way, skip the Assault Hybrid altogether (basically if you're playing support that isn't Solo).

• Thanks 2

He skipped brutes, which I'd say get more benefit from assault radial as their damage scalar is relatively low. Though, I'd probably agree that you're better off with melee on a brute. 

I do have one character with both assault T4s, a psi sentinel and core is clearly better in that instance (damage scalar on sentinels is .95). 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, drbuzzard said:

He skipped brutes, which I'd say get more benefit from assault radial as their damage scalar is relatively low. Though, I'd probably agree that you're better off with melee on a brute. 

I do have one character with both assault T4s, a psi sentinel and core is clearly better in that instance (damage scalar on sentinels is .95). 

To be clear, even if you're trying for a DPS role as a brute, should I go with Melee over Assault?  (I'm planning on getting both EVENTUALLY)....