Aggro cap removal or changed

There's nothing wrong with the aggro cap - it is currently set at 17 and has been that way for the majority of the life of City of Heroes (The cap was introduced with Issue 6 on October 27, 2005 - so the last 7 years out of 8.5 the game was live). Seems a lot of people simply want an "I win" button now that the game is back. There are numerous ways to quickly farm your character - there's no need to go change things to make even more ways. Heck I already have multiple level 50's and none of that was done with the AE...so "normal" farms seem to be working just fine without needlessly reverting the aggro cap back to issue 5.

How about killing that annoying Aggro cap implemented by NCSoft????  makes the game more challenging again. let tanks be TANKS again

Not looking for another faster way to farm characters. when i'm in a mission and i jump into multiple groups and only half of a group gets aggro and the other half just sit there and do nothing.

Yes i remember when it was put into place, but the game was more fun and a lot more challenging to team in missions when that cap wasn't there. the cap was put into place because people were Herding entire zones, like perez park. take that cap out of just missions and keep it so they cant do that in the regular cities

no one cares about farming , power leveling , or what ever your argument may be  for keeping the aggro cap.. the cap sucks for those of us that enjoy playing the Tank . Protecting a team . when too many mobs are aggro ed is lame .. you should be able to hold the attention of  as many as you can survive holding . If you can tank 20 tank 20 . If you can tank 50 you should be able to tank 50.. with out everyone in you team getting wiped the min someone pops off a skill .. or just half of them walking away.

Try doing the first door on the eden trial set to +4 x8 .. see how tough it is to tank those spawn numbers and try to keep your team alive ..  each spawn is 20 or 30 mobs that spawn right on top of everyone . Which means basically instant team wipe unless you keep it set to easy mode.

leveling from 1-50 has never really mattered.. except to those few that it seems to matter to.. the 50+ content is so over looked . No one seems to consider how much there is to do once you hit end game.. aside from just rolling another alt..

as the majority of players stand .. they have little to no real motivation to deck out a 50s toon.. i mean really .. why bother with IOs, incarnates and everything else if you cant make the game more challenging .

My 50+2 tank is already basically god mode on +4x8 . with out any IOs .. whats the challenge ? i run double taunt and two toggle AoEs to try and hold aggro for my team mates .. but even though nothing can kill me ... i cant hold two mobs together to protect my team ?

So a team buffs tank.. tank holds aggro of 50 baddies while the rest of the team kills them.. THAT sounds like easy mode which is exactly what it was pre-aggro cap. You won't be making it more challenging in the slightest. One empathy defender to buff tank...3 blasters and 3 scrappers and boom 50 baddies in 10 seconds. No thanks I prefer an actual risk to my characters instead of playing easy mode while the tank holds all the aggro. I was a pocket Emp for the pre-issue 6 farming - literally I would BuildUp+Fort and Adrenaline Boost the tank who would gather up the map in 60 seconds...herd them to a nice corner... blasters would nuke and scrappers picked off the remaining baddies. No one got hurt...there was no strategy... it was the epitome of easy mode.

no one cares about farming , power leveling , or what ever your argument may be  for keeping the aggro cap.. the cap sucks for those of us that enjoy playing the Tank . Protecting a team . when too many mobs are aggro ed is lame .. you should be able to hold the attention of  as many as you can survive holding . If you can tank 20 tank 20 . If you can tank 50 you should be able to tank 50.. with out everyone in you team getting wiped the min someone pops off a skill .. or just half of them walking away.

Try doing the first door on the eden trial set to +4 x8 .. see how tough it is to tank those spawn numbers and try to keep your team alive ..  each spawn is 20 or 30 mobs that spawn right on top of everyone . Which means basically instant team wipe unless you keep it set to easy mode.

leveling from 1-50 has never really mattered.. except to those few that it seems to matter to.. the 50+ content is so over looked . No one seems to consider how much there is to do once you hit end game.. aside from just rolling another alt..

as the majority of players stand .. they have little to no real motivation to deck out a 50s toon.. i mean really .. why bother with IOs, incarnates and everything else if you cant make the game more challenging .

My 50+2 tank is already basically god mode on +4x8 . with out any IOs .. whats the challenge ? i run double taunt and two toggle AoEs to try and hold aggro for my team mates .. but even though nothing can kill me ... i cant hold two mobs together to protect my team ?

So a team buffs tank.. tank holds aggro of 50 baddies while the rest of the team kills them.. THAT sounds like easy mode which is exactly what it was pre-aggro cap. You won't be making it more challenging in the slightest. One empathy defender to buff tank...3 blasters and 3 scrappers and boom 50 baddies in 10 seconds. No thanks I prefer an actual risk to my characters instead of playing easy mode while the tank holds all the aggro. I was a pocket Emp for the pre-issue 6 farming - literally I would BuildUp+Fort and Adrenaline Boost the tank who would gather up the map in 60 seconds...herd them to a nice corner... blasters would nuke and scrappers picked off the remaining baddies. No one got hurt...there was no strategy... it was the epitome of easy mode.

You dont know how Aggro and Taunts work apparently lol

• Like 1

Two words: Server Performance.

Some may just want to be able to tank every single foe for the group, but there will be those that will herd entire zones, and it does not take too many such players to cripple zone performance, if not make the entire server shake.

Some of us want to Tank a mob of 50. If you don't want to, then don't do it, it's that simple. Removing the cap lets everyone play the way they want to, and keeping it does not.

No, it doesn't. It fundamentally changes the way mobs work, for EVERYONE.

I'm out.

Trust me I know how aggro and taunt work and I know how pre-Issue 6 aggro worked. It was changed with good reason. There is no legitimate reason for the aggro cap to be increased. It does not make strategy or aggro management any more intense. It does not make the game any harder. What is being suggested was changed because it was easy mode. It was explained... data was collected and analyzed... etc etc. Your desire for a reversion to easy mode does not make it a good idea. Aggro management is a TEAM concept that requires people to actually know how to play instead of simply herd-nuke-kill stragglers. Aside from a game mechanic standpoint there is also issues of zone herding which causes strain on a server and easily leads to griefing. Not sure when you started to play, but I was here from the beginning to the last second without a pause in subscription. I was also a beta tester for new issues starting in Issue 5. There were other ideas thrown about regarding aggro when these changes were being discussed/tested and trust me they were meant with absolute resistance by the players.

You dont know how Aggro and Taunts work apparently lol

makes the game more challenging again. let tanks be TANKS again

So which is it? Is the game not challenging with the aggro cap, or is it too difficult to tank +4/x8 Eden Trial?

It's already been shown how easy you could Tank 50+ mobs with buffs from team mates, and it's been proven by history. There were literally entire map wipes going on in the days of dumpster diving.

Currently, your arguments make it sound like you can't handle the challenge of an aggro cap, and would rather have it removed than work out a better strategy with your team. I get it, I love when my brute feels completely untouchable because I've been buffed to insane levels of defense, but there's not much challenge in keeping aggro once you've got it. But there is a challenge in deciding how you're going to manage that cap and the game provides plenty of ways to do so. Do you leave one group to the controller/s to manage so you can grab another group that's been pulled in from the side by ranged damage? Do you crowd hop between large groups to slow the damage to your team down long enough for them to heal and survive.

The point is, once you'r able to handle 17 mobs without any concern, you're going to be handling 50 mobs without any concern. That doesn't make the game more challenging. No one's ever looked at the concept of limitless ability as one of challenge. In having limits we are challenged.

edit — I'm aware I quoted two people. The fact that the argument comes from two directions is the main point.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

We all know this is a Fire Tank with a pocket healer.

The Homecoming server is already is on easy mode.

You want no aggro cap? Create your own server and add the dev's I Win power and kill the whole map at once. Same thing.

Also, the other ATs aren't helpless babies. They have their own crowd control.

Also, stop rounding up the whole map at once.

Also, pull.

• 2 weeks later

I myself don't want to herd the whole map  but if i run in on a full group  on any tank  not just a fire tank, and i grab aggro  from say three mobs the and aggro cap is 17 people "not mobs" and only half of one group or not even one out of the third group even looks at me, yeah Ok that would happen. most people  don't even know how to run with a tank anyway these days.

tank goes in, pulls aggro and brings around line of sight to get a tightly packed group for easier killing and easier healing. looks back and the team has rushed in anyway and the controllers have the whole mob scattered and locked down everywhere. team takes forever to move to all  of group and scrappers in the next room thinking they are invincible because their armor says they are. while the Kin defender has his Repel and whirlwind power both on  throwing everything all over the map saying "but it keeps the baddies off the team!"  sorry this shit actually happened.  lol getting away from the post a bit  but that's how things go. yes i love tanking  i don't care to "Herd a map"  i just want the way it used to be  to come back because it was more fun than mobs IGNORING you because you have already taunted "too many" that's just crazy way of thinking.

the other AT's are not helpless but each has their own job and to make a good team  you need to know that.

there are times to pull and times to taunt and group. so don't get all petty on and hate on me for giving my opinion about a "suggestion" isn't what this forum is for? some of us that have played the game from the beginning or almost that know how much fun it was till NCShit changed everything after all the crap they used to say about "we want our game to be as realistic as we can." well how damn realistic is groups ignoring you when you go in to piss them off just because you have one too many  already.

I wouldn't want to take away the cap, but I'd love it if it got raised to around 25 or 30, which would make duoing with my spouse a lot more comfortable when one of us wants to tank while the other plays a squishy archetype. It'd also make the game act more consistently in more circumstances, as I only remembered the aggro cap existed when I was soloing a bank heist paper mission and noticed some of the enemies just stood there. I can't help but feel that 17 or whatever it is set at is a bit on the conservative end, but I understand its function for groups and difficulty.

• Like 1