Scrapper - Shield Defense Changes

krj12

A few things about several powers in shield defense which annoy me a bit while playing a scrapper, and possible changes:

1.  Active Defense and One with the Shield seem very similar in what they do as far as status effects protection.  Some differentiation would be nice - perhaps

give One With The Shield either a large dps buff or defense buff, since it is the final power in the set.

2.  The above 2 powers are also not permanent toggles - not a big fan of this kind of short term toggle power, perhaps change Active Defense to be a toggle with a slight increase of endurance usage.

3.  Against All Odds - the extreme taunt in this power may be great for brutes or tankers, but is useless for scrappers.  I find that I have to turn it off a lot during BAF to avoid very quickly picking up double rings.

There is no way a scrapper should be able to that easily take agro away from a tanker.   Take the taunt component out of the power just for scrappers, leave it for the more tanky archtypes.

4 hours ago, krj12 said:

A few things about several powers in shield defense which annoy me a bit while playing a scrapper, and possible changes:

1.  Active Defense and One with the Shield seem very similar in what they do as far as status effects protection.  Some differentiation would be nice - perhaps

give One With The Shield either a large dps buff or defense buff, since it is the final power in the set.

2.  The above 2 powers are also not permanent toggles - not a big fan of this kind of short term toggle power, perhaps change Active Defense to be a toggle with a slight increase of endurance usage.

3.  Against All Odds - the extreme taunt in this power may be great for brutes or tankers, but is useless for scrappers.  I find that I have to turn it off a lot during BAF to avoid very quickly picking up double rings.

There is no way a scrapper should be able to that easily take agro away from a tanker.   Take the taunt component out of the power just for scrappers, leave it for the more tanky archtypes.

1. The crashing tier 9's are all a little suspect as they stand. I expect they are on the devs list for a look at sooner or later.

2. This topic has been done to death in other threads. There are some benefits to click mez protection; ability to double stack and no loss of mez protection with toggle drop due to end crash. This is unlikely to change.

3. The taunt aura is one of the major selling points on scrapper shields for many of us. I find it very hard to convince myself to play other scrapper secondarys that don't have taunt auras. So it's going to have to be a hard no from me for this suggestion I'm afraid.

Edited by parabola
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 10:49 PM, krj12 said:

1.  Active Defense and OwtS aren't much alike at all, one is Mez protection and debuff resistance, the other is a large resistance buff with a crash when it expires.

2.  Personally I prefer toggle mez protection to clickie but there are advantages to clickie, for one you can double stack it and it won't crash if you end crash your toggles.  As far as the T9 OwtS goes almost every T9 armor power is a click with a crash... Granite Armor and Rise of the Phoenix are the exceptions that come to mind.

3.  The taunt aura is part of the benefit of playing a Shield scrapper, it makes it much easier to gather up a tight group of baddies for quick and easy termination.  While it's a decent aura it shouldn't steal aggro from a tanker who's trying to keep it; the tanker should have a higher aggro multiplier unless he's playing Willpower or SR.  If you don't like the taunt aura of Shield then play a Shield Stalker instead of a Scrapper, they don't have the taunt baked into the power.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

On 12/27/2019 at 10:49 PM, krj12 said:

I'm gonna have to go with a nope on all these.

One with the Shield does have a DPS buff in the form of +recovery.  You basically get an extra Stamina stacked ontop of your free Stamina.  It also gives you an HP buff and a resistance buff to some damage types.  The only similarity between it and Active Defense is the mez protection and you can view it as a means of covering for Active Defense if something happens like you're defeated right after using it and you get a rez, you can pop OwtS and rely on its mez protection until AD recharges.  Or you can use it when your END is in a pinch.

As for the taunt aura, most Scrappers likely just look for ways to bolster their armor more so they can withstand the aggro.  If you can't work with that, there's the above suggestion of rolling a Stalker.  Their AAO doesn't have a taunt.  You'll be hard pressed to get a lot of Scrappers to give up their taunt in AAO.

• Like 2