Ouroboros missions/arcs

Ukase

Myself, I tend to solo more than most, I imagine. Yet, often, I'm finding comments in lfg and the help channel where newer players are in the midst of an ouro arc, come across an NPC they can't handle and ask for help - but alas, there is no help available. They didn't realize that they couldn't invite others once the story arc started. So, occasionally, these folks end up quitting after spending who knows how much time, and suffering who knows how many defeats. 

In AE, it's simple to invite mid-arc, mid mission, whatever you like - but not in Ouro. 

So - let's fix it. There's simply no reason I can think of that it should be like task forces. Yes, the player should be tethered to the arc, but I see no need to limit team size should they feel the need half way through. 

• Like 1

I think your let's fix it, is actually lets re-write it from scratch, because I suspect that Ouro missions are implemented through the TF mechanics rather than the mission ones, so changing how they work is going to involve re-creating it from scratch, I agree there is no in-game reason for it, and I have no complaints about changing it, however I think there may be some VERY big technical hurdles

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

29 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

I think your let's fix it, is actually lets re-write it from scratch, because I suspect that Ouro missions are implemented through the TF mechanics rather than the mission ones, so changing how they work is going to involve re-creating it from scratch...

I'm pretty sure that it was done as a TF so that doing Ouroboros missions/arcs could take advantage of the way a TF can auto-exemp people down to the max level of the TF. Regular missions don't do that, and I'm pretty sure that beating on either the Ouroboros mission code (to allow invites mid-mission) or the regular mission code (to autoexemp you to the mission level) would involve some ugly work in the spaghetti-code bowl.

On the other hand, being able to set two new flavors of difficulty -- 1) you exemp to the level of the mission when you enter, no matter how much you outleveled it, or 2) the mission increases in level to match yours, no matter how much you outleveled it, would increase the options available to players. The latter would bend the limits some, as some mob groups flat-out don't scale, so the best you'd be able to do is crank their damage and HP. And either would be a big programming project, as it would add a big chunk of code that would need to be written, so it's a blue-sky thing, not likely to happen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, srmalloy said:

I'm pretty sure that it was done as a TF so that doing Ouroboros missions/arcs could take advantage of the way a TF can auto-exemp people down to the max level of the TF. Regular missions don't do that, and I'm pretty sure that beating on either the Ouroboros mission code (to allow invites mid-mission) or the regular mission code (to autoexemp you to the mission level) would involve some ugly work in the spaghetti-code bowl.

On the other hand, being able to set two new flavors of difficulty -- 1) you exemp to the level of the mission when you enter, no matter how much you outleveled it, or 2) the mission increases in level to match yours, no matter how much you outleveled it, would increase the options available to players. The latter would bend the limits some, as some mob groups flat-out don't scale, so the best you'd be able to do is crank their damage and HP. And either would be a big programming project, as it would add a big chunk of code that would need to be written, so it's a blue-sky thing, not likely to happen.

in the grand old days of yore, you could kick or add to TF's but people got abusive and started to exploit the system so they changed it to a locked mode.

enemies do scale the fact than u can throw any group type in an AE mission at any level indicates that scaling foes isnt out of the realm of possibility 

and finally there's already a fix that exists that allows you to never outlevel your contacts missions so oro wouldn't even be necessary anymore, whether they choose to implement it is another story

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?