Mac Users: Audio Crackling / Broken

Dreamkeeper

Hi friends, posting about an issue I've had a couple of times on Mac where the audio is broken and begins crackling. In the past I've ridden this out and subsequent updates eventually resolved it; however it is currently still broken for me. For fellow mac users, I figured we can use this thread to provide more debugging information to help devs create a fix for this.

System Details:

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

2.4GHz Intel COre i7

16 GB RAM

Audio Format: 48,000 Hz 

My strong suspicion is that this may be a wine issue, specifically the file "winecoreaudio.drv" which is the driver for wine. Beyond this I am a bit out of my depth.

However, I found a solution that works for the time being for me:

1. Open "Audio Midi Setup" app on your Mac (this should be in utilities, but you can also just use finder)

2. Select "Built-in Input/Output" from the menu on the left in the app

3. Change the Output from 48,000 Hz to 44,100 Hz (48,000 Hz appears to be the Mac default--I checked 3 different Macs)

image.thumb.png.6737b033557190dfc240b7eca543a70c.png

So far I haven't noticed any audio degradation from doing this in game or other applications, but again if anyone else has these issues let me/devs know please!

x

DK

@Dreamkeeper 

Former Triumph Veteran // Current Everlasting Player

Mains:

Silver Solder // Ceralt

• 1 month later
On 3/6/2020 at 7:44 AM, Six Six said:

I've had similar issues. I just thought they were my speakers. Sometimes the sound would crack, but the bg sound of a youtube track would not.  And other times the sound will just quit until a restart of the client.

Also on a mac. High Sierra

Hey Six Six, did my solution above work for you?

@Dreamkeeper 

Former Triumph Veteran // Current Everlasting Player

Mains:

Silver Solder // Ceralt

Wow! tried what you advised and while it worked in-game, I think -- didn't test it thoroughly. It screwed up my speakers for every other thing... like movie with the wife. So I had to revert them to the original. But since I didn't write down the original settings, I had to spend a few minutes fiddling around with it until I got the sound decent. 😃