Can We Fix the /Search function?

Many of you know, but some may not, that there is a /search command that brings up a User Interface (UI) box that shows other characters online.  You can customize it to look only in certain zones, or certain ATs, or certain levels, or any combination thereof.  It's great for finding friends or recruiting players or just for random data (how many stalkers are on now).  If you don't want people to be able to find you that way you may want to play with another command -- /hide.

It's a neat tool to find people online but it suffers from two problems:

First: It is side specific.  It will only show you players on your side of the morality compass (hero/villain).  If you are rogue or vigilante you can see players that are on the same side you are currently on (meaning the physical location of the map).  If you are in a co-op zone, Rogues and Vigilantes are tagged as hero or villain based on which side they came in on.  As a Rogue in Praetoria, search only showed me other villains on the Rogue Isles.  But as a Rogue in Founders Falls, I was able to see all the players that were in Hero zones.

With Null the Gull allowing instant side switching, it seems to me that the side-restrictive searching of /Search is no longer warranted.

Second: The results cap at 50.  When I first became aware of the command, years ago in the early days of "golden dawn" Hamidon Raids, the /Search command would list everyone on the server.  I recall seeing over 300 names and having to filter by level and then AT to ask folks to join us at the raid.  At that time there was only heroes -- no Rogue Isles or Praetoria -- so being side-restricted was meaningless.  At some point, I'm not sure when, the response was limited to 50.  You can tell if you restrict search by certain ATs and levels that there are more than 50 players when you add up all the results, or you can check here to see the number of players per side on any specific server: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/status/     I'm not sure if there's a reason why it's limited to 50, but maybe that reason no longer exists with beefier machines and more efficient coding.

So my request would be to remove the side restriction, or better yet add it as another sorting option; and to remove the cap of 50 so that we can see everyone that's not hidden on the server.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

or at least, the option to search a specific side and everytime u refresh is cycles through the next 50 players perhaps? this sounds easier to implement but "shrug"

what the heck do i know

also sup flea

/search gold

0 characters found

(I'm bad I know, but couldn't resist)

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

On 1/8/2020 at 1:39 PM, Bionic_Flea said:

First: It is side specific.  It will only show you players on your side of the morality compass (hero/villain).

I play a rogue frequently and all of the Red/Blue stuff gives me a nasty itch.  Getting dumped from teams is no fun just because I teleported to my base or something.  It's also a little unpredictable what will remove you from a team and what won't (going to a base is 50/50 for me).

Yes, get rid of side specific search in the Find Member dialog, but also all the other side specific stuff needs an overhaul, esp. if it will dump you from a team or at TF.

On 1/8/2020 at 1:45 PM, Saiyajinzoningen said:

or at least, the option to search a specific side and everytime u refresh is cycles through the next 50 players perhaps? this sounds easier to implement but "shrug"

what the heck do i know

also sup flea

Pretty sure that is already the way it works.  Just now on Everlasting I clicked on the results through 11 pages of 50 results and then it showed me a result page of 18 at the end (568 total heroes).  That was pretty close to how many heroes the server stat page had listed.  Limit it to just brutes and I got 2 pages of 50 and 1 page of 12.  Can't say whether it is perfect but I didn't happen to see any duplicates as I clicked and skimmed through.  I agree it'd be nice to be able to see more at a time though.

Also agree it'd be nice for them to open it up to both sides.