Laptops and COH: A Modern Guide

GM Tock

7 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Yeah.  I know about those measures.

Know what I got told?

"We just connect buyer and seller".

This, again, has not been my experience.  Sorry you had a bad experience.  No reason to put off others.  Check the seller's feedback, do your due diligence, and use a payment method with buyer protection.

54 minutes ago, biostem said:

This, again, has not been my experience.  Sorry you had a bad experience.  No reason to put off others.  Check the seller's feedback, do your due diligence, and use a payment method with buyer protection.

Yeah.  I just prefer not to deal with things on that level anymore.

Not worth the hassle.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• 3 weeks later
On 11/16/2022 at 12:25 AM, biostem said:

I got the below used laptop for $50 +s/h.  It's far from flashy, but it'll play CoH just fine if you use the -usetexenvcombine startup parameter.  If you can afford about $20 more, you could get an i5 w/ 8GB of RAM.  You have to install your own OS, and you'll want to stick to reputable sellers, but those will get you up & running.  Also make sure they include the AC adapter and a SSD...

Laptop listing:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/225236795662

Update:  An i5 listing for reference:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/354352367209?hash=item52810c0669%3Ag%3A56kAAOSwrbRjLh5f&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoKWzpS%2BjZy%2BQPTA4YIabI4tYpDnWUSgojCCCF1jATY9ZfZCJTz5JyEGqqUJ9zSJrGELVpaK96sfFR%2FaQFE73RgaZE%2FWXVXq5POsUMOstZwfIBp4YnGknLuS4wN%2BDbIRNDVmCH5It8wqqVJYNGlyo2YqP4dDVbHKZ8qUhsIiggxUoO1tqO43RwQnRxVl3KtRtb2ml5UykJIcC4SBdXpXTsXA%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5K7-_SPYQ&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=3|4

thanks! i ended up getting an hp elitebook, but it turns out it would not run the game. seems like the intel uhd graphics wasn't hefty enough i guess. i will look into this one, i think i saw one on amazon refurbished. thanks again!

On 11/9/2022 at 11:09 AM, Hyperstrike said:

You should be able to game on it okay.
And testing it to make sure it works properly won't hurt anything.

If you are worried about heat, having it up on a stand will help with heat dissipation.

And cooling pads for laptops are dirt cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/LIENS-Cooling-Portable-Powered-Computer/dp/B08SW4RWWQ71jY2GkOIJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I tend to run with a Asus Tuf 504 SE model laptop (A midline to low end gaming ROG system.) and yeah, it can spin up the internal fans to some insane degree. I use a six fan cooler to keep the temps down and still manage to play without much of a problem on all ultra cranked out settings. I *would* however recommend if you have a way to get a hold of canned air, blast your systems fan vents at least twice a month if you play as often as I do. (120 to 190 hrs in a months time.) It'll help keep the thermal pastes from wearing down too quickly, and keep the vents clear for good air flow to keep the temps down internally within the system. I'm working towards getting my own laptop to a pro to clean it out and check the fans for re-greasing with thermal grease cause it's been hitting some high speeds and really loud over the last month or so. (No canned air available without traveling 45 minutes in a car either direction and scheduling to do that is just a straight up hassle and a fight with family to get shit done.)

Here's my system specs:

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz   2.30 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.86 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 TI

(Generally pumps out 60Hrz no prob except for MSR, it plummets to 6 to 9 frames a sec. Yay for cult of the frameless!)

Resolution: 1920x1080 (No 4k, no point since I love retro gaming.)

Saw the mention of the Vega 3, I wouldn't recommend this game to be played on it. I think at the least expensive option, I would recommend a AMD Radeon M800's to my own model with Nivida ranges in model editions for video cards, to play it safe without completely melting down your motherboard just booting the game up. But I'm sure there's more tech savvy folks here that can offer more clear advice and recommendations on that. I'm just another gamer, with a taste for good affordable tech.

Edited by Crystal Dragon

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

1 hour ago, Crystal Dragon said:

I tend to run with a Asus Tuf 504 SE model laptop (A midline to low end gaming ROG system.) and yeah, it can spin up the internal fans to some insane degree. I use a six fan cooler to keep the temps down and still manage to play without much of a problem on all ultra cranked out settings. I *would* however recommend if you have a way to get a hold of canned air, blast your systems fan vents at least twice a month if you play as often as I do. (120 to 190 hrs in a months time.) It'll help keep the thermal pastes from wearing down too quickly, and keep the vents clear for good air flow to keep the temps down internally within the system. I'm working towards getting my own laptop to a pro to clean it out and check the fans for re-greasing with thermal grease cause it's been hitting some high speeds and really loud over the last month or so. (No canned air available without traveling 45 minutes in a car either direction and scheduling to do that is just a straight up hassle and a fight with family to get shit done.)

Here's my system specs:

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz   2.30 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.86 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 TI

(Generally pumps out 60Hrz no prob except for MSR, it plummets to 6 to 9 frames a sec. Yay for cult of the frameless!)

Resolution: 1920x1080 (No 4k, no point since I love retro gaming.)

Saw the mention of the Vega 3, I wouldn't recommend this game to be played on it. I think at the least expensive option, I would recommend a AMD Radeon M800's to my own model with Nivida ranges in model editions for video cards, to play it safe without completely melting down your motherboard just booting the game up. But I'm sure there's more tech savvy folks here that can offer more clear advice and recommendations on that. I'm just another gamer, with a taste for good affordable tech.

If you have that much trouble getting compressed air.

https://www.amazon.com/Compressed-Air-Duster-3-0-Pressurized/dp/B0B5L2RR9D/

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

If you have that much trouble getting compressed air.

https://www.amazon.com/Compressed-Air-Duster-3-0-Pressurized/dp/B0B5L2RR9D/

Thanks, yeah, I'd been meaning to order some. xD AuADHD kind of screws with my short term memory. Appreciate it truly.

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

10 hours ago, littlegems said:

thanks! i ended up getting an hp elitebook, but it turns out it would not run the game. seems like the intel uhd graphics wasn't hefty enough i guess. i will look into this one, i think i saw one on amazon refurbished. thanks again!

You have to use the -usetexenvcombine launch parameter to get it to run on a laptop with integrated graphics.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, littlegems said:

oh, and does anyone know if vega 3 graphics card would be a good choice for the game?

Any modern dedicated graphics card should have no problem running CoH.  Whether you'll be able to max-out all settings and still run perfectly is another question.  Different aspects of the game, for instance player names above the characters, disproportionately tax performance.

• Like 1

• 4 months later

I know its not preferred (and out right denied in the current iteration of the guide), but with a couple of years under it's belt what are the thoughts on remote desktop usage now?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 with a port extender and an external SSD hard drive.  There are wireless blue tooth keyboards and mouse that work with the phone letting it act much like a laptop.  I know, I know, Android operating system = NOGO... bringing me back around to my idea of the remote desktop through Steam who's app works on my phone (I checked).  I know it won't run top of its game graghics and I'm not expecting a lot out of it, but I do want access to my games for when I'm bored to tears at one or another appointments I have.

The keyboard in my wishlist is foldable and protable, the mouse is made small and portable, the phone folds and is portable, the 5 TB external harddrive is smallish and protable, the port extender that matches the "C" port in the phone is portable.  It's the most fun you can have in your pocket without a hole... I probably shouldn't have said that.

I'm not expecting great preformance for the game, I have an ex-wife and spent four years in the army with the hurry up and wait attitude, so I'm used to dissapointment.  I just need it to work.  Its like bad sex, you're never 100% happy, but hey, at least you got to play right?  Any new thoughts on the remote desktop operating the CoX game?  Thanks.

50 minutes ago, Freelyx said:

I know its not preferred (and out right denied in the current iteration of the guide), but with a couple of years under it's belt what are the thoughts on remote desktop usage now?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 with a port extender and an external SSD hard drive.  There are wireless blue tooth keyboards and mouse that work with the phone letting it act much like a laptop.  I know, I know, Android operating system = NOGO... bringing me back around to my idea of the remote desktop through Steam who's app works on my phone (I checked).  I know it won't run top of its game graghics and I'm not expecting a lot out of it, but I do want access to my games for when I'm bored to tears at one or another appointments I have.

The keyboard in my wishlist is foldable and protable, the mouse is made small and portable, the phone folds and is portable, the 5 TB external harddrive is smallish and protable, the port extender that matches the "C" port in the phone is portable.  It's the most fun you can have in your pocket without a hole... I probably shouldn't have said that.

I'm not expecting great preformance for the game, I have an ex-wife and spent four years in the army with the hurry up and wait attitude, so I'm used to dissapointment.  I just need it to work.  Its like bad sex, you're never 100% happy, but hey, at least you got to play right?  Any new thoughts on the remote desktop operating the CoX game?  Thanks.

If you're using RDP, you are essentially screen-scraping.
So all the load is still on the host machine.
So long as the host machine works okay, it should be fine.

I cannot comment on what the performance is going to be like though.
And you may need to fiddle resolution on the home machine.  Because the higher the resolution, the more data you're pushing through your network connection (latency issues).

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later

It's dangerous to go alone!  Take thi--  ...wait, this is a wooden toy sword.  Full of nicks and staples.  Yikes.  Take this newer one, it's less "nail bat" energy!

• Thumbs Up 2

Inactive account.  For current info, see GM_Tock.

• GM Crumpet unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later

I have played on a lot of Apple Intel Devices running Windows with bootcamp. I would recommend any 27" iMac 2012 and newer, especially if it has 16 or more Gb of ram. Since the high end models have more ram but are build to order, I would say you will want at least 4GB of Vram. While this is standard on the 2017 model, the 2013-2015 models have 4GB available as an upgrade. You might be able to find some of these out there for sale. As for the 21.5" models, I only recommend the 2017 and newer models. I would avoid the M1 and newer models for now. Any of these models should be able to run Windows 10/11 just fine.

I don't recommend ANY mac mini model. The mac studio is too new. As for the Mac Pro, I suggest a 2013 with the d500 or d700. That should be just fine.

• Game Master

There's a new thread in the post above.  Go use that one.  This one is mildewy. 

(Also I politely disagree, I'm using a Mac Mini and it plays great.  M1-M3 isn't the doom everyone thought it would be, it runs circles around Intel Graphics.)

• Like 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.