Laptops and COH: A Modern Guide

GM Tahquitz

On 12/10/2020 at 3:21 AM, Hyperstrike said:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Run the Deployment Image Servicing & Management tool.

Command Prompt --> Run as Administrator

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

Once it's done, technically you SHOULD be able to do it from the same command prompt.
Me?  I prefer to start up a new one.

Again, Command Prompt --> Run as Administrator

sfc /scannow

This will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
The %WinDir% placeholder represents the Windows operating system folder. For example, C:\Windows.

Note: Do not close this Command Prompt window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished.

I figured it out. The problem was ReShade. I updated it to the latest version and it works fine now. Thanks for the help.

• 10 months later

My niece has been saving up for a gaming laptop and wants a 17" screen (for some reason), and she asked me if she can smoothly play COH on an Acer Nitro 5.  I didn't know what to tell her so came here to read this laptop guide.  I'm a bit lost, and while I'm assuming she can since I play on a rickety old HP laptop, I hate to be wrong and have her get her hopes up only to have to return it ( . . . and I don't want to be the dumb aunt who has no idea what all those spec numbers and letters mean--well, I am that dumb aunt, but I'd rather she didn't find out just yet. Heh.).  Any help would be greatly appreciated, including, if you happen to know off-hand, if it will run WoW. (Yeah, I know, but she likes that game, too, for some reason.)

1 hour ago, Tahliah said:

My niece has been saving up for a gaming laptop and wants a 17" screen (for some reason), and she asked me if she can smoothly play COH on an Acer Nitro 5.  I didn't know what to tell her so came here to read this laptop guide.  I'm a bit lost, and while I'm assuming she can since I play on a rickety old HP laptop, I hate to be wrong and have her get her hopes up only to have to return it ( . . . and I don't want to be the dumb aunt who has no idea what all those spec numbers and letters mean--well, I am that dumb aunt, but I'd rather she didn't find out just yet. Heh.).  Any help would be greatly appreciated, including, if you happen to know off-hand, if it will run WoW. (Yeah, I know, but she likes that game, too, for some reason.)

While my eye twitches at any Acer laptop (because they took over the low-end market, so a personal stigma?), I wholly understand the wanting the larger screen for a laptop. Once you go 17+, everything else feels tiny and can be hard to adapt back to. The downside is weight really.

As for the actual specs, everything looks great from a power standpoint (way more than what the game needs TBH). Now that said, IDK the quirks of the game on more modern (than my) hardware, so there may be some driver things to tweak. Other than that, I would definitely get a laptop cooling mat and can easily see that thing burning through battery during a play session if the GFX settings are tuned to what it looks to handle.

That device should be able to handle basically anything you throw at it including video editing, etc.

Edited by WanderingAries
  • Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  The City Representative (Info site for all servers)  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

4 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

While my eye twitches at any Acer laptop (because they took over the low-end market, so a personal stigma?), I wholly understand the wanting the larger screen for a laptop. Once you go 17+, everything else feels tiny and can be hard to adapt back to. The downside is weight really.

As for the actual specs, everything looks great from a power standpoint (way more than what the game needs TBH). Now that said, IDK the quirks of the game on more modern (than my) hardware, so there may be some driver things to tweak. Other than that, I would definitely get a laptop cooling mat and can easily see that thing burning through battery during a play session if the GFX settings are tuned to what it looks to handle.

Thanks so much!  She's going to be thrilled to know it will run COH.  I'd ask what other non-Acer laptop with a 17" screen you suggest, but I think she mostly just likes the red keyboard backlight, but hey, we were all young once.  I got her a cooling mat a couple years ago, so she should be set there, and she knows to stay plugged in to play games so battery life isn't an issue..

a gaming laptop maybe need more cooling.... i got some 3 vents below this laptop i use mainly use for browser games, but there are other cooling options with up to 6 ventilators.

For CoH only she may not need it, but who knows what she is playing tomorrow and laptops need cooling more then anything else.

Edited by SuggestorK
  • Thanks 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

I'm one of the fans of Razer Blade Stealth laptops, because I travel extensively for a living and need a small, but powerful, gaming laptop.  Not just for COH, which they can all handle very well, but for current release AAA titles as well.  I also tend to run an Oculus Quest 2 via Link cable off of my laptops when I'm going to be on assignment for a couple/few weeks straight.

While I've got a top end rig with 3070 in it currently, all of them for the past few years have run COH just fine, even multiple sessions in windowed mode.  

Some folks have had bad luck with Razer products but for me it's hard to beat the small/light form factor mixed with the power.  I've yet to have a single issue with mine, 5 years and running now.  Love them.