Can't connect to DBserver

darg

You might want to ask for help on the official Discord, as they're generally more responsive than here.  Think of the Discord as "instant messaging" and the forums as "e-mail". 😉

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

• Game Master

Sorry that nobody got to you earlier.  Please understand, we are a volunteer staff... while we are around at different and infrequent hours, we're not available 24/7 (jobs, family, etc.... same as you hopefully.)

"Can't Connect to DBServer" indicates a network problem.  It's not that your Internet isn't working (it is), and it's not that your username and password are wrong or right (can't tell)... the client isn't getting a response from the server.  First thing I'd look at is Windows Firewall if it hasn't worked since Windows Update.  Make sure the firewall is letting these ports through.  (DBServer especially: make sure the UDP rules are entered correctly.)  You shouldn't NEED to do this, but opening these up will determine if it's Windows causing it or not.

Also: again, shouldn't be needed, but if your network has changed from Private to Public, COH might be blocked from connecting.  You can change your network back to a Private one.  (Start > Settings, Network & Internet, Pick Wi-Fi or Ethernet on the left depending on your method, click on the network, and pick "Private" if you're at home.  This relaxes security settings for gaming quite a bit.

Let us know if this doesn't help, or you get weird messages, as those can be hints that something else is up.

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

• Game Master

I just patched my system for the first time this week, and can confirm it's running before and after the patch from Patch Tuesday this week.

This isn't to say your issue isn't an issue, but it does mean it's not widespread, whatever is happening.

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

• 1 month later

Hey thanks. Tried all the firewall stuff couldnt see any ports that you listed, so didnt change anything. The only thing that works is unpluging the router every time I get this error, which seems random. Its annoying to do this every time, even though it takes 5 mins to reconnect. I can connect to Rebirth or Cake no problem.

I was set to public which I changed to private, and it was a new router with a new wifi connection. (since the original problem) Maybe my laptop is too old, I would really like to resolve this first world problem.

Edited by darg
info

• Game Master

You mentioned laptop... is another computer able to connect in your house to Homecoming?  This would most likely rule out the router: if one system can get through, it's most likely a configuration issue with the laptop.  If neither, then it's a setting in your router somewhere.

Need more network hardware insight. Many have their own router in conjunction with the ISP's modem/router combo and don't know to put that into bridge mode (you'll get NAT 3 if you don't). Most default router settings should have the UDP active as I've Never had to alter settings on one for this game. Also, check your 3rd part AV software, VPN software (if using it), etc. All else fails, get a USB wifi dongle and disable the laptop's internal card.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)