Pointless suggestion: questionably better names for stuff, like Stalker Fiery Aura

Replacement

Burning bushes are not invisible.  But smoke obscures!  

It's a stupid little detail, but it's always jarring to me to imagine an Invisible Human Torch.  Change Stalker Fiery aura to Smoky (smokey?) Aura.  No other changes necessary.

And then uh... we should talk about renaming the entire Corruptor AT, since that name doesn't make sense across the morality spectrum.

Edited by Replacement

3 hours ago, Replacement said:

It's a stupid little detail, but it's always jarring to me to imagine an Invisible Human Torch.  Change Stalker Fiery aura to Smoky (smokey?) Aura.  No other changes necessary.

And then uh... we should talk about renaming the entire Corruptor AT, since that name doesn't make sense across the morality spectrum.

The Corruptor AT name makes as much sense as a Defender AT that gets an endurance discount for letting their team's health drop.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Replacement said:

Just attack the center of the big smokey mass.  Anyway, you can in fact have invisible fire, (I believe it's hydrogen that does that, or maybe some form of alcohol).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Just attack the center of the big smokey mass.  Anyway, you can in fact have invisible fire, (I believe it's hydrogen that does that, or maybe some form of alcohol).

Suggestion: Change Stalker Fiery Aura to "Flameless Gas Fire Aura."

😋

Edited by Replacement
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Replacement said:

Suggestion: Change Stalker Fiery Aura to "Flameless Gas Fire Aura."

😋

Just imagine that the bad guys are laughing so hard at the big ball of fire trying to sneak up on them that they're unable to fight back...

6 hours ago, Replacement said:

Then it wouldn't be FIRE, it'd be SMOKE.

That is to say, if I wanted Smokey Aura, I'd probably use Dark Armor.  Heat is more dangerous than fire and it's invisible...it's the things that catch on fire that are visible.

As for Corruptor AT name not working for hero, IDGAF lol.  Corruptors were suppose to be villains anyway but if you think about it, you can corrupt people into a lot of things.  Corrupt them with politics and consume them, thinking they only need to rely on you for safety, corrupt them with charity, making all other sources feel unnecessary, corrupt them with love to blind their judgement, corrupt them with faith to make the strongest willed fight on beyond their limits.

The only line between Justice and Corruption is power.

11 minutes ago, Leogunner said:

Then it wouldn't be FIRE, it'd be SMOKE.

That is to say, if I wanted Smokey Aura, I'd probably use Dark Armor.  Heat is more dangerous than fire and it's invisible...it's the things that catch on fire that are visible.

As for Corruptor AT name not working for hero, IDGAF lol.  Corruptors were suppose to be villains anyway but if you think about it, you can corrupt people into a lot of things.  Corrupt them with politics and consume them, thinking they only need to rely on you for safety, corrupt them with charity, making all other sources feel unnecessary, corrupt them with love to blind their judgement, corrupt them with faith to make the strongest willed fight on beyond their limits.

The only line between Justice and Corruption is power.

Yeah I was thinking smoke is hot, but also concealing. It would at least make for a good customization theme.

As for Corruptor... I feel like your examples are quite a stretch.

While I'm capable of ignoring the name and building the AT, the person I play with the most is basically incapable of building Corruptors, entirely because of the name.  He is just absolutely incapable of ignoring the name and the implications it says of his toon.

New Suggestion! 

Rename Dominator > Martial Assault to Ninja Assault.

This will pave the way for a real Martial Assault down the road.

And with that, I'm adjusting the title and inviting y'all to throw in your own renames you'd like to see! (no mechanical changes, please.  We have an entire board for those)

3 minutes ago, Replacement said:

Yeah I was thinking smoke is hot, but also concealing. It would at least make for a good customization theme.

As for Corruptor... I feel like your examples are quite a stretch.

While I'm capable of ignoring the name and building the AT, the person I play with the most is basically incapable of building Corruptors, entirely because of the name.  He is just absolutely incapable of ignoring the name and the implications it says of his toon.

Interesting morals.  I kind of feel the same way when reading/observing certain actions of heroes on the forums or in game.  To me, having honor and dignity would come somewhat with the elevation of knowledge and power but it's not.  It'd be like if Superman used every dirty trick all the time against even the most mundane of villains to speed up his "routine".  The strongest most effective "heroes" in CoH will manipulate and exploit the stupidity of their foes despite their overwhelming power....like a dictator just wrenching out every drop or resources from his populous.

But then I just get over it.

Any powerset that buffs or debuffs a character's "natural state" could be said to be "corrupting them"...  Hell, it's like saying you won't ever play a stalker because stalking is a crime.  Do you have a problem with playing a tanker, since the Exxon Valdez was a tanker, crashed, and leaked oil everywhere?   It's a pretty important skill to be able to separate a label from its further implications, with regard to the names given to things in a fictional setting.

33 minutes ago, biostem said:

Any powerset that buffs or debuffs a character's "natural state" could be said to be "corrupting them"...  Hell, it's like saying you won't ever play a stalker because stalking is a crime.  Do you have a problem with playing a tanker, since the Exxon Valdez was a tanker, crashed, and leaked oil everywhere?   It's a pretty important skill to be able to separate a label from its further implications, with regard to the names given to things in a fictional setting.

Agreed.  Although I tend to take it a bit further and ponder the things we consider good or virtuous, is it possibly a corruption?  At least to a certain perspective.

Like I mentioned with love, some consider it a good positive emotion but in certain perspectives (like to your closest friends or family) it could be a corruption that negatively affects other relationships even if not intentional.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, biostem said:

I think if you guys cannot see the connotative differences between "Tanking" and "Corrupting," I don't think we can fundamentally agree on this topic.

Like I said, I can get over it.  But "corruption" is never a thing English speakers associate with virtues, and it does affect players' choices.  I happen to know one.

26 minutes ago, Replacement said:

I think if you guys cannot see the connotative differences between "Tanking" and "Corrupting," I don't think we can fundamentally agree on this topic.

Like I said, I can get over it.  But "corruption" is never a thing English speakers associate with virtues, and it does affect players' choices.  I happen to know one.

I don't think you can get past a *word* and whatever immediate impulse/emotional reaction said word has for you.  Yes, "Corruptors" started out as a villainous AT, but there's such a thing as an antihero or a heel-face-turn.  If *you* as a player cannot separate the name of an AT from what that character's backstory is or how they conduct themselves, then that is on you...

Poison, darkness, necromancy, etc, can all be used for good, and CoH isn't the 1st game or form of media to depict it...

Edited by biostem