Deadeye vs Blast Archetypes  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What should a Sniper Archetype like Deadeye focus on to distinguish itself from other Blast Archetypes? (multiple choice)

• Sneak attack criticals, but lower base damage.
    • Single target focus, lacking much AoE.
    • Increased attack range, but struggles in close range.
    • Greater mobility, but less survivability.
    • More mez/debuff potential, but a lack of self/ally buffs.

I think Guardian was originally in development over on Resurgence. Rebirth may have picked it up and started using it, but sadly it wasn't officially finished... 

I guess time will tell if such an Archetype makes its way here, and in what state.

As for Striker, I'm surprised it isn't just Assault/Armor, with a few tiny tweaks.

Edited by Tyrannical

🚩 The original post has been updated with the new powerset layouts, including revised versions of individual powersets. 🚩

I decided to drop a few powers from Trickery and substitute existing ones. Self buffs now also offer (low) defensive abilities too, inspired a little by the fact Manipulation sets have some means of personal protection.

Ancillary Power Pools now have the ranged AoE powers removed so they do not present issues with stealth crits, replacing them with pets instead to a) draw aggro and b) deal damage outside of the Deadeye's influence, and c) I forgot to give Patron Pools pets like a dummy

Some debuff powers were also removed so they might fit into Trickery sets instead, and replaced with a build up/power boost style power.

Edited by Tyrannical

Since outright killing any enemy with a successful sniper shot is kind of out of the question, what if you played up the uncertainty and disarray that would be caused by receiving fire from an unknown attacker.  Maybe some sniper shots will cause enemies to "break" and cower in fear.  Maybe some will cause them to become confused and attack randomly, possibly hitting their own allies.  In addition to those effects, why not leverage how real life snipers might prepare their position to both conceal and protect them.  How about giving the AT a very strong stealth ability, but have it be a, (possibly interruptable), location-based click or toggle, (i.e. any ally in the area of effect benefits from the buff).  Other buff abilities could follow a similar pattern.  Maybe this AT could deploy decoys that distract enemies or setup automated mortars which they can call upon for support... 

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, biostem said:

Since outright killing any enemy with a successful sniper shot is kind of out of the question, what if you played up the uncertainty and disarray that would be caused by receiving fire from an unknown attacker.  Maybe some sniper shots will cause enemies to "break" and cower in fear.  Maybe some will cause them to become confused and attack randomly, possibly hitting their own allies.  In addition to those effects, why not leverage how real life snipers might prepare their position to both conceal and protect them.  How about giving the AT a very strong stealth ability, but have it be a, (possibly interruptable), location-based click or toggle, (i.e. any ally in the area of effect benefits from the buff).  Other buff abilities could follow a similar pattern.  Maybe this AT could deploy decoys that distract enemies or setup automated mortars which they can call upon for support... 

I think an AoE fear effect is what Stalkers get right now, and I didn't want to copy everything about their stealth mechanic at least :classic_tongue:

The unique mechanic I decided might be best for them is since they attack from an obscure position, they have a chance of remaining stealthed even after the sniper attack.

I was also considering deployables like those, something like Triage Beacon or Tree of Life, creating a small zone where they would gain some kind of benefit. The 'decoy' bit plays into the Ancillary Power Pools, having included a pet power to help mitigate the aggro and provide fire support. It'd be the first Archetype that has Pets in its Ancillary sets (excluding Patron sets), which I think would be pretty cool.

8 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

I think an AoE fear effect is what Stalkers get right now, and I didn't want to copy everything about their stealth mechanic at least :classic_tongue:

The unique mechanic I decided might be best for them is since they attack from an obscure position, they have a chance of remaining stealthed even after the sniper attack.

I was also considering deployables like those, something like Triage Beacon or Tree of Life, creating a small zone where they would gain some kind of benefit. The 'decoy' bit plays into the Ancillary Power Pools, having included a pet power to help mitigate the aggro and provide fire support. It'd be the first Archetype that has Pets in its Ancillary sets (excluding Patron sets), which I think would be pretty cool.

I feel that having to dig-in and setup some concealment and defenses would suit a sniper better.  The problem is that it makes it much less compatible with the faster pace of team play.  What if you could do something like throw a holographic emitter that created a decoy, which taunted enemies and put you in stealth, thus allowing you to get in some crits?  What if you could throw down a sort of "instant sniper's nest", which granted you stealth and some other buffs for a short time, while you were within its AoE?  Maybe your actual sniper attacks could be more like target designators - you construct mortars or turrets, mark out targets, those constructs do the attacking and get the aggro, while you remain safe...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, biostem said:

I feel that having to dig-in and setup some concealment and defenses would suit a sniper better.  The problem is that it makes it much less compatible with the faster pace of team play.  What if you could do something like throw a holographic emitter that created a decoy, which taunted enemies and put you in stealth, thus allowing you to get in some crits?  What if you could throw down a sort of "instant sniper's nest", which granted you stealth and some other buffs for a short time, while you were within its AoE?  Maybe your actual sniper attacks could be more like target designators - you construct mortars or turrets, mark out targets, those constructs do the attacking and get the aggro, while you remain safe...

I think a taunt device like the 'Omega Maneuver' might work pretty well for an Archetype like this.

The idea of a 'Sniper's Nest' intrigues me, it would certainly set the Archetype apart from Stalker, but I think it would only encourage more people to go play a /Ninja Training Blaster instead.

16 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

I think a taunt device like the 'Omega Maneuver' might work pretty well for an Archetype like this.

The idea of a 'Sniper's Nest' intrigues me, it would certainly set the Archetype apart from Stalker, but I think it would only encourage more people to go play a /Ninja Training Blaster instead.

Yeah - it'd be hard to play a sniper that has to dig themselves in, in a game as fast-paced and mobile as CoH.

How about this:  The AT has a special personal transporter/blink device.  You start out stealthed.  You fire your first shot, get a crit, then activate the device.  Depending upon what other abilities you use, you may leave a decoy in your previous location, or maybe a bomb, a trap, or possibly even a gun turret.  Basically, you are encouraged to rapidly move around the battlefield, leaving traps, debuffs, or other effects in your wake.  It'd basically be more of a "hit and run" style of play instead of a dug-in sniper...

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1

Just now, biostem said:

Yeah - it'd be hard to play a sniper that has to dig themselves in, in a game as fast-paced and mobile as CoH.

How about this:  The AT has a special personal transporter/blink device.  You start out stealthed.  You fire your first shot, get a crit, then activate the device.  Depending upon what other abilities you use, you may leave a decoy in your previous location, or maybe a bomb, a trap, or possibly even a gun turret.  Basically, you are encouraged to rapidly move around the battlefield, leaving traps, debuffs, or other effects in your wake.  It'd basically be more of a "hit and run" style of play instead of a dug-in sniper...

I did toy with the idea of adding in special mobility powers, but judging by the poll and people's comments, it doesn't look to be a popular concept.

I did keep some sort of mobility element in the 'Trickery' powersets, in the form of an extra effect included with the melee defense/mez protect powers, some of these powers have greater mobility than others depending on theme.