Can we get any more Play to Win Vendors?

Bionic_Flea

As most of you know, Play to Win vendors give out the old prestige and veteran powers, XP multipliers, and sell a lot of other temporary powers.  There's one in each tutorial and starter zone (Atlas, Mercy, & Nova), as well as Firebase Zulu, Grandville, and Pocket D.

Would it be possible to get one in the RWZ Base?  Or better yet, can we have a P2W vendor NPC for bases?!?!?

Thanks.

• Like 2

There's nothing preventing them from adding more or making them available via bases aside of time, desire, and effort. Realistically it's probably just setting a flag on an NPC that gives them the dialogue for p2w or even null the gull, as those dialogues are already made. Putting those onto an available base NPC in theory should be super easy, about 30 seconds of work if one know what those dialogues are labeled.

The question then isn't if they can, it's why have they not. So why do you suppose base NPCs aren't able to have p2w or null the gull options?

• Bionic_Flea changed the title to Can we get any more Play to Win Vendors?
On 1/31/2020 at 9:51 AM, SeraphimKensai said:

So why do you suppose base NPCs aren't able to have p2w or null the gull options?

There might be a reason that we don't know about.  For example, I've been told that you can't have access to the auction house inside of bases or missions because each map instance opens up the entire database of everything sold, stored, and offered for sale.  And that kind of memory usage would make servers cry.

Maybe there's some issue like that.  Maybe there isn't.  I don't know.  But I can't assume either way.

30 seconds?
That's overly optimistic with this plate of spaghetti, I'm afraid.  If you do the 30 seconds of copy-and-paste in the code, you've still got the two to twenty hours of work tracking down all the apparently-not-unrelated bits and bobs which that little tweak nuked from high orbit with an egg beater.

• Thanks 1

Even if something takes 30 seconds to code, there's still testing to do, including testing behind the scenes that we never see that happens before it winds up on the test server.

It's a reasonable request, but like most things it'll need to be up to the devs when they feel they can squeeze it in.  I suspect placing multiple NPCs in player zones will take more than 30 seconds though.

When I discovered Homecoming existed, one of the many little things I was delighted by was finding out the auction house was accessible everywhere (with instance-restrictions) via /ah.

I'm sure it'd have all sorts of hilarious (from a distance!) jenga effects, but I'd also be delighted if vendors in general would work that way. Not in base or instance, type /vendor and you're in the vending interface. (Feed it a /p2w per topic! Or /rewardvendor or whatnot for the merit vendor.)

Scattered vendor NPCs were a relic of live servers pre-IO issues, where just slotting up enhancements while leveling up was a matter of scrimping and saving; sell your Natural enhancement drops to the Natural vendor here, sell your Science ones over there, etc. After the consignment house existed, none of that really mattered anymore as the inf differences weren't worth worrying about.

But as a next-best-thing, base p2w vendors would be a good addition.

3 hours ago, Drastic said:

Not in base or instance, type /vendor and you're in the vending interface. (Feed it a /p2w per topic! Or /rewardvendor or whatnot for the merit vendor.)

Only if we receive them through the mail system as attachments from the Themiscyra company.

Edited by siolfir

On 2/2/2020 at 11:29 AM, VileTerror said:

30 seconds?
That's overly optimistic with this plate of spaghetti, I'm afraid.  If you do the 30 seconds of copy-and-paste in the code, you've still got the two to twenty hours of work tracking down all the apparently-not-unrelated bits and bobs which that little tweak nuked from high orbit with an egg beater.

As a clarifying example:  Go into Options.  Look for Beta Options; there's one there that displays power recharge time remaining as a timer as well as the growing icons.

That took a couple of months to build and blew up the beta server at least once I'm aware of.

Just to display a countdown on top of the power icons.

• 3 weeks later