Fire Dom: Stuns and Holds

Idiotfool

Recently, I asked about a defensive Dominator build for my Fire/Ice Dom. I had some pretty good recommendations to shoot for Perma-Dom, first, then start going for defense. Also, some comments indicated I didn't need as many primary and secondary powersets as I had always done, in the past, so I started trimming to the essentials to make room for defense and resistance powers. Char is a given, but I'm not sure on the other holds or disorients.

My questions are:

• Which is better for a targeted AoE: Cinders or Flashfire?
    • If you get both, why?
  • Of the two, would you choose Ring of Fire or Fire Cages?
    • 5-slot with Gravitational Anchor?

Thanks!

Cinders is PBAoE, if that matters. I generally skip AoE Holds, but they have their uses. Flashfire is a must-take, though. Unlike Cinders, it's up every fight with good Recharge, and lasts longer, and combos with Fire Cages to work like a Hold.

Ring of Fire is not that useful on a Dominators since with Domination up you can still hold Bosses and AVs in one shot with Fire Cages. Fire Cages will keep mobs from running out of Bonfire or Hot Feet. Ring of Fire is a decent ranged attack, but Ice has enough of those that you don't need it.

I would never skip the AoE hold on a Dominator once they get to perma. On a Controller, maybe. But a Mag 6 Hold is too useful to bypass.

I save it as a backup when things start to go south.

If you have a Dom where things never go south, I feel like you aren't pushing yourself enough. But that may just be me. No matter how under control you tend to keep things, eventually one of your pets will go Leeroy Jenkins on an adjacent group just as Drain Psyche slips and Hasten auto recasts and your HP starts to drop. That's what your AoE hold is for. 

Plus using it occasionally will keep your pets from dying less, so there's that.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Coyote said:

Cinders is PBAoE, if that matters. I generally skip AoE Holds, but they have their uses. Flashfire is a must-take, though. Unlike Cinders, it's up every fight with good Recharge, and lasts longer, and combos with Fire Cages to work like a Hold.

Ring of Fire is not that useful on a Dominators since with Domination up you can still hold Bosses and AVs in one shot with Fire Cages. Fire Cages will keep mobs from running out of Bonfire or Hot Feet. Ring of Fire is a decent ranged attack, but Ice has enough of those that you don't need it.

Thanks. Your thoughts mirror my own, though at level 12, Flashfire is missing about 70% of the time. Hoping I see some improvement as I level and enhance it more, since it currently sucks. For PvE, what are the metrics against stun-lock these days? Can I single target hold a target indefinitely  (if it hits) or do I need to alternate stun-types and is that another reason to go with Flashfire, to supplement the single target hold I have? How about PvP, even though that isn't the goal of this character?

For your second point: holding bosses was the only reason I was thinking about going with Cinders, too. With hasten and perma-dom, though, I think I'm better off just hitting with Char, twice. With Fire/Ice, I'm going with Chilling Embrace over Hot Feet. Lower End cost and higher apparent DPS with an additional slow to attack speed instead of just run speed gives it the nudge, in my opinion. 

11 hours ago, Idiotfool said:

For PvE, what are the metrics against stun-lock these days?

There are no PvE mechanisms to prevent perma-mezzing. AVs have special resistances that is meant to prevent that in most cases, but that's AV-specific (and a few Elite Bosses). Otherwise, stun them all day long 😛

On 2/8/2020 at 10:33 PM, Idiotfool said:

Recently, I asked about a defensive Dominator build for my Fire/Ice Dom. I had some pretty good recommendations to shoot for Perma-Dom, first, then start going for defense. Also, some comments indicated I didn't need as many primary and secondary powersets as I had always done, in the past, so I started trimming to the essentials to make room for defense and resistance powers. Char is a given, but I'm not sure on the other holds or disorients.

My questions are:

• Which is better for a targeted AoE: Cinders or Flashfire?
    • If you get both, why?
  • Of the two, would you choose Ring of Fire or Fire Cages?
    • 5-slot with Gravitational Anchor?

Thanks!

I took both Cinders and flashfire because more control.

Fire cages and i slotted with Dominating grasp coz firey orb.

The single target immob is useless.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Idiotfool said:

Flashfire is missing about 70% of the time.

Craft two acc IOs and leave it in there until you get ready to slot out and I guarantee you you will greatly lower your chances of missing. 

Edited by mbre2006