Nostalgia meets munchkinism meets lack of info

atletikus

Veteran CoH player here. I wanted to rekindle my love-affair with Blasters, but can find shockingly little info about powers in-game and outside. Best source of info so far is the flawed Pine's Hero Designer found here: https://mega.nz/?fbclid=IwAR0AlGyVbfejioQvgB8E28izGncWrrkMZR712eOxw-mg-tGWGMQu6VlYXg8#!qFEFTCLQ!XkqDAVafa_48bl7xYa0WFkqGNBVDXApSnpm6Keie3e8\

Is the a web page with up-to-date info, or a better planner? If not, how are the full nukes treated these days? Do they still drain you of all endurance and impose recovery debuffs?

The wiki PK linked is current as of when the shutdown was announced.  Throw in whatever information is to be gleaned from the i24 patch notes and it should be reasonably up to date, with the exception of things the SCORE team added in on their own (like proliferated sets).

Thanks! I've seen that site before, but since it was so outdated I felt I couldn't trust even the little info there. But I'll go ahead and assume full nukes still deplete endurance - which makes them less than ideal. Guess it's back to being some kind of Archer again :)

I think your initial instincts were right, since Dreadful Wail, at least, no longer fully drains my endurance on my Defender.

I think your initial instincts were right, since Dreadful Wail, at least, no longer fully drains my endurance on my Defender.

Again, that's from I24, patch notes for which can be found under the entry for that issue.  The Wiki isn't as out of date as you two are making it out to be.

Again, that's from I24, patch notes for which can be found under the entry for that issue.  The Wiki isn't as out of date as you two are making it out to be.

Yup:

Blast Set Nuke powers are being adjusted. The endurance crash is being removed and recharge is being decreased. Damage is being normalized, average damage will go down a bit but the damage is now (mostly) a fixed amount rather than a number of "chance to damage" ticks.
I'm out.

You can also get very detailed information about your powers by right clicking them and selecting info, you can also get more detailed info about your character by clicking combat attributes on the top of the power window.

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster

Thank you. Just the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Higher level characters, even blasters, tend to run several toggles which makes a complete endurance drain too much of a hassle to make nukes worthwhile.

in, that's from I24, patch notes for which can be found under the entry for that issue.  The Wiki isn't as out of date as you two are making it out to be.

If a game relies on detective work and perseverance to uncover pretty basic build planning, then it's doing it wrong. Beyond that, it is the case of too basic info given. The hero planners (Mid's previously and Pine's now), got most of the details down, but still too lacking. Guess I'm a little surprised a game who seem to have a surprisingly decent playerbase, doesn't have a wiki that matches it.

You can also get very detailed information about your powers by right clicking them and selecting info, you can also get more detailed info about your character by clicking combat attributes on the top of the power window.

This seems only to work on the powers you have, so won't do for planning. Nice tip though.

in, that's from I24, patch notes for which can be found under the entry for that issue.  The Wiki isn't as out of date as you two are making it out to be.

If a game relies on detective work and perseverance to uncover pretty basic build planning, then it's doing it wrong. Beyond that, it is the case of too basic info given. The hero planners (Mid's previously and Pine's now), got most of the details down, but still too lacking. Guess I'm a little surprised a game who seem to have a surprisingly decent playerbase, doesn't have a wiki that matches it.

The Wiki's pretty thorough though, it explained exactly when the blasters lost the endurance crash.

I'm out.

Dude. This a cancelled game running on community servers, that has only been back online for the masses for a couple weeks.

If you think that info should be compiled, _then help compile it_.

:)

Dude. This a cancelled game running on community servers, that has only been back online for the masses for a couple weeks.

+1 Inf

I'm out.

Well part of the problem is that we'd need to start a new wiki. As others have noted this is a game being run on community servers of questionable legality. The official stance of the Paragon Wiki team is that their wiki reflects the state of the game as it was when it shut down. So any changes that were implemented by the Homecoming team will not be reflected on the Paragon Wiki.

The other issue is that the wiki never had precise numbers on it (in part due to the difficulty of updating it). The numbers side of things was handled by the site RedTomax and unfortunately large parts of that database were lost (you can still access some of it through the wayback machine but not all).

Now the solution would be for someone to start a new wiki for Homecoming, ideally importing as much as possible from Paragon Wiki and simultaneously resurrect and update RedTomax. But that requires someone with the time, money and skills necessary to do it.

Defender Smash!

This guy gets it.

Well part of the problem is that we'd need to start a new wiki. As others have noted this is a game being run on community servers of questionable legality. The official stance of the Paragon Wiki team is that their wiki reflects the state of the game as it was when it shut down. So any changes that were implemented by the Homecoming team will not be reflected on the Paragon Wiki.

Let's not forget that the Homecoming servers are simply the largest and most public CoH servers out there right now, but hardly the only ones.  It makes even more sense when you consider that, to keep the Paragon Wiki as it is.  Not every CoH server out there will run with the same rules as ours -- in fact, that's one of the reasons there are other servers.  So again, we'd need our own wiki, and people dedicated to updating it, or barring that, some good guides for the guide section.  ^_^

Let's not forget that the Homecoming servers are simply the largest and most public CoH servers out there right now, but hardly the only ones.  It makes even more sense when you consider that, to keep the Paragon Wiki as it is.  Not every CoH server out there will run with the same rules as ours -- in fact, that's one of the reasons there are other servers.  So again, we'd need our own wiki, and people dedicated to updating it, or barring that, some good guides for the guide section.  ^_^

Here you go, go nuts, at least until the Devs/Mods make an official one.

I'm out.

Well ideally what we'd want to do is clone Paragon Wiki (with the serial numbers filed off) and start updating from there. I've got no clue if the Paragon Wiki staff would be willing or able to hand over a copy of their database to start a second wiki though.

Personally I think the best analogy is forking a code base. Paragon Wiki is the "base" wiki but each set of private servers is going to have a different set of content and thus a different wiki.

Defender Smash!

Well ideally what we'd want to do is clone Paragon Wiki (with the serial numbers filed off) and start updating from there. I've got no clue if the Paragon Wiki staff would be willing or able to hand over a copy of their database to start a second wiki though.

Personally I think the best analogy is forking a code base. Paragon Wiki is the "base" wiki but each set of private servers is going to have a different set of content and thus a different wiki.

Sure, you get on that, and I'll happily contribute what I can. Until then, I spent five minutes setting up a basic empty Wiki for anyone to add to... since there's NOTHING ELSE right now, unfortunately.

I'm out.

Sure, you get on that, and I'll happily contribute what I can. Until then, I spent five minutes setting up a basic empty Wiki for anyone to add to... since there's NOTHING ELSE right now, unfortunately.

Yeah, a wiki per server sounds like a ton of work few people will want to put in unless they can get ad clicks out of it or something.

Sounds like some people are producing apps that are built off of the actual codebase, that will help character building.

What I still don't get, this is the old gamer emerging, but why do you need a wiki to spell it all out, why not just play and figure it out, isn't that the point of playing a game?

You can rebuild/respec easily when you find things don't work they way you thought, etc.

What minutae would be in a wiki that you cannot find in the game?

I get maps and badge locations, I get character builders.

I don't get why so many people want to go to a wiki to read someone else instructions on how to have fun....

I don't see this as detective 'work', I see it as the fun of learning the game...

Just my perspective.

I knew I should have added a caveat about not having heard about the game's revival before yesterday, that I wasn't complaining as much as making an observation....and that I'm still burned out on having built a wiki pretty much singlehanded on another game, but would gladly help if I get hooked again on this game. Think this now covers all the bases. Thanks for the info everyone. Better equipped now not to step on anyone's toes haha.

I knew I should have added a caveat about not having heard about the game's revival before yesterday, that I wasn't complaining as much as making an observation....and that I'm still burned out on having built a wiki pretty much singlehanded on another game, but would gladly help if I get hooked again on this game. Think this now covers all the bases. Thanks for the info everyone. Better equipped now not to step on anyone's toes haha.

Yeah, you are not alone on just finding out about it...you are not the first and certainly not the last to ask.

Yeah, I love ParagonWiki for all the classic stuff, but I keep running into rules changes on Homecoming that take me by surprise. Power pools, including travel powers, at level 4, proliferation of every power pool under the sun (when did scrappers get ice melee? WTH is Spring Attack?)... I feel like I need to go through all the options and start writing them up on ParagonWiki just to figure the game out again, let alone get at the good stuff like brawl indexes and baseline percentages.

Yeah, I love ParagonWiki for all the classic stuff, but I keep running into rules changes on Homecoming that take me by surprise. Power pools, including travel powers, at level 4, proliferation of every power pool under the sun (when did scrappers get ice melee? WTH is Spring Attack?)... I feel like I need to go through all the options and start writing them up on ParagonWiki just to figure the game out again, let alone get at the good stuff like brawl indexes and baseline percentages.

ParagonWiki has made it an official policy that they will NOT allow users to add any information about the game after sunset, no matter what server the changes are on.

But, feel free to update the CoH: Homecoming Unofficial Wiki instead with what you find... O5khXA8.gif

I'm out.