Apparent brute taunt bug

BlackHearted

Spent over an hour testing taunt on various AVs in game ... they ignored my brute to attack others even with 4 sloted taunt set on auto.. and it wasn’t scrappers or what have you like they would attack the kinetic and just ignore my taunts.... also if there was a tank around they would ignore me completely... I was under the impression both tanks and brutes were to be treated the same by npc due to both having a threat lvl of 4.... very confused wanted to make sure it was known that brute taunt seems to not be working properly.

Edited by BlackHearted
Typo

I first noticed this when I couldn’t pull agro off of a tank who had stopped taunting and I was still attacking and taunting(the tank was still punching) so I started trying it different ways.. got on a team where I was the only melee build and had multiple(2) AVs randomly ignore me while being taunted and punched and just walk off and attack corrupters...  then I did another tf where I was the only brute no tank but had a scrapper and a stalker... I was unable to taunt AVs off of the scrapper who was MA/bio and not useing the scrapper provoke power.(whatever that’s called..) I can’t say for certain what the exact issue is, but taunt on super strength brutes is NOT working the way taunt should..

Edited by BlackHearted

Background: I’ve spent more time tanking as a brute than most people.. SS brute has been my go to favorite fun to play build sense i7 I played nonstop from then till sunset and am extremely familiar with how agro /used/ to work... from what I can tell the game is treating my brute like it’s a scrapper not a brute.... I am just sort of freaking out a little... tanking is my thing... if I can’t do it with brutes anymore I’m gonna be really upset about it...just wanna know what’s up with the code and that this isn’t intentional.. surely this can’t be intentional...

4 hours ago, BlackHearted said:

Spent over an hour testing taunt on various AVs in game ... they ignored my brute to attack others even with 4 sloted taunt set on auto.. and it wasn’t scrappers or what have you like they would attack the kinetic and just ignore my taunts.... also if there was a tank around they would ignore me completely... I was under the impression both tanks and brutes were to be treated the same by npc due to both having a threat lvl of 4.... very confused wanted to make sure it was known that brute taunt seems to not be working properly.

Hi there!

I was on that very team with you when you asked about this in game, and I happen to be the kinetic character you mention above. I think the Tanker was taunting and fighting alongside you, and that's where the aggro was going. Tankers now have higher threat levels - I don't see it documented in the patch notes, but it certainly came up a number of times during the betas.

With regards to being a kinetics character pulling aggro, I tend to bounce into packs of enemies for Fulcrum Shift and blast off AOEs, so I get, and got, the amount of aggro I'd normally expect. I was not pulling anything from AVs - the Tanker had that under wraps! There was some incidental AOE that hurt me occasionally and I don't think that was your fault at all!

If you are still concerned I think you might like to do some more testing and provide some videos or the like. It's going to be very hard for devs to pinpoint problems based on an anecdote like this.

Best of luck!

Edited by summers

Is there somewhere it’s written down that this is intentional for tanks to be treated as a higher threat level?? In game it still says 4 for both tank and brute in combat attributes.. if this is intended then where is that stated?  I need to redo my main character if brutes aren’t intended to be able to tank any longer so I would like more than one person saying something that numbers indicate the opposite of...

16 minutes ago, summers said:

Hi there!

I was on that very team with you when you asked about this in game, and I happen to be the kinetic character you mention above. I think the Tanker was taunting and fighting alongside you, and that's where the aggro was going. Tankers now have higher threat levels - I don't see it documented in the patch notes, but it certainly came up a number of times during the betas.

With regards to being a kinetics character pulling aggro, I tend to bounce into packs of enemies for Fulcrum Shift and blast off AOEs, so I get, and got, the amount of aggro I'd normally expect. I was not pulling anything from AVs - the Tanker had that under wraps! There was some incidental AOE that hurt me occasionally and I don't think that was your fault at all!

If you are still concerned I think you might like to do some more testing and provide some videos or the like. It's going to be very hard for devs to pinpoint problems based on an anecdote like this.

Best of luck!

Not sure which of the TFs you were on but the one I was referring to I was the only melee class on the team there was no tank present during the incident I’m referencing. I kept running TFs to try and figure it out...

Edited by BlackHearted

4 minutes ago, BlackHearted said:

Is there somewhere it’s written down that this is intentional for tanks to be treated as a higher threat level?? In game it still says 4 for both tank and brute in combat attributes.. if this is intended then where is that stated?  I need to redo my main character if brutes aren’t intended to be able to tank any longer so I would like more than one person saying something that numbers indicate the opposite of...

Hi there! I managed to find it, it is in the official patch notes, located here:

Gauntlet & PunchVoke

• Gauntlet is now applied via a global proc.
    • Any single target power that takes endurance cost enhancements will trigger an AoE taunt.
    • Every AoE power that takes endurance cost enhancements will taunt the enemies it hit.
    • All Auras that take endurance cost enhancements will taunt the enemies they hit.
    • Radius is now the same for all attacks (10ft, 5 targets max)
    • Taunt scale is now 10% higher than the Brute's.
  • Brute PunchVoke is now also applied via a global proc.
    • Any power that either inflicts damage or takes accuracy enhancements will trigger PunchVoke.

Now there have been some issues with global proc taunts, which is how all the punchvoke/gauntlets are applied nowadays, so I can only encourage you to provide some good evidence (such as video, combat logs, something like that!) for the devs to review. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, BlackHearted said:

Thank you so much for finding that for me... I thought I was loosing my mind... guess I’m gonna go roll a tank. ☹️

I don't think that's necessary, Brutes should be just as good at holding aggro as they were prior to this patch - except against Tankers, who are now better. If there is an issue it can probably be resolved without needing to rebuild a character!

18 minutes ago, summers said:

I don't think that's necessary, Brutes should be just as good at holding aggro as they were prior to this patch - except against Tankers, who are now better. If there is an issue it can probably be resolved without needing to rebuild a character!

I appreciate your input but you are clearly miss understanding what/how big a deal it is to me that I can’t hold agro on this character... I have been tanking sense I 7 on this brute ... it is extremely upsetting not to be able to pull agro off of a tank... I WANT to be attacked as a brute for fury... if I can’t hold agro on my character who’s meant to tank well then it totally ruins the fun... this really seems like a change that screws over people who played mostly red side back in the day and prefer to tank with a brute... I know that’s not a majority of people but for me my main character just became unplayable essentially.

On 2/21/2020 at 5:03 AM, BlackHearted said:

I appreciate your input but you are clearly miss understanding what/how big a deal it is to me that I can’t hold agro on this character... I have been tanking sense I 7 on this brute ... it is extremely upsetting not to be able to pull agro off of a tank... I WANT to be attacked as a brute for fury... if I can’t hold agro on my character who’s meant to tank well then it totally ruins the fun... this really seems like a change that screws over people who played mostly red side back in the day and prefer to tank with a brute... I know that’s not a majority of people but for me my main character just became unplayable essentially.

Hi. You have 3 threads now all with the same topic, all getting the same response. Look, tanks will always be able to aggro strip brutes. By design.

In the other threads many responses posted why, and how, it works this way. A tank, with auras and attacks, will out aggro you. That is how it should be.

Now, the other new info you have here, about losing aggro to non tank types, warrants testing. You'll have to playtest it and provide specific details for devs to investigate. Keep in mind that there are certain powers that have dramatic threat level, like debuffs. And heals.

Also, fury generation was changed, this was also mentioned to you in other threads. Fury is not the same as love, it's stupidly easy to hit 80-90% and stay there without min aggro.