I Gave It a Shot

Zeraphia

On 3/4/2020 at 7:29 AM, drbuzzard said:

Of course since such a situation happening here is approximately as likely as winged monkeys flying out of my butt, I'd say the AT needs some help. 

And as the horrible mental image runs through my mind, I hope no one ever creates this as an alternate effect for Call Ravens in the Beast Mastery powerset...

• 2 weeks later
On 2/23/2020 at 11:46 AM, Zeraphia said:

I made a Fire/Bio/Psi Sentinel... This is pretty much the premier damage dealer for a sentinel minus fire/fire, I had intended on this to deal large amounts of AOE and *decent* ST. I was not expect TW/Bio Scrapper numbers obviously but I hoped to solo AVs *decently.*

It does accomplish the AV task, some AVs being harder than others, and it does provide a very nice role with the psi for the "invulnerable" enemies. It does *ok* AOE, sort of worse than I expected with Inferno + multi-proc'd psi shockwave. 

It survives VERY well, I mainly am comparing it to the blaster in my head, but it just faceplants so much less and has to work a lot less.

The problem is that this AT is just not *competitive* it's just not doing enough damage to compensate for the survival and the archetype isn't that known for its opportunity strikes, so I feel its rather wasted potential. I feel like for the same effect it gives, you could roll a much sturdier tanker or a much more damaging scrapper, or a defender/corruptor and it would do better. The sentinel "role" on a team feels very... "off" like there's no strict role it fills, no one really expects anything in particular of you other than to not die so often. 

I'm going to say this much, the inherent is just not the greatest. It's too much of a buildup for very little benefit overall and honestly I feel like it kinda "sucks." 

Maybe I'm too critical of this AT, I actually won't delete it because I feel as if with a buff to this AT, it would really shine and be a standout character but for now I'm just kind of puzzled about how I feel about it.

I'm just not getting you. Your build does what you wanted, but you don't feel it's "competitive." When I play an AT my only concerns are playability, and uniqueness. I could understand if you didn't like the "feel" or if it were frustrating to play. Your argument is based on "competiveness".  If competiveness is the main concern You'd severely limit your build options to just a handful of high performing combinations. Boring if you ask me. I will agree with one thing... the inherent definitely needs work. Other than that I judge each AT on its own merit. If I were to get overly bogged down into comparing blasters and sents I'd probably pick the blaster, because I'm a damage junkie. But if I did that I'd miss out on the experience of leveling a sentinel. And honestly once the get status protection they're pretty damned pleasurable to play. I have 4 of them and I can't say that any of them are not fun to play.

Edited by DocRadio
  • Like 2

On 2/26/2020 at 8:44 AM, oldskool said:

At this point there is a good bit of hyperbole being tossed around.  Attempting to defend/counterpoint is really just making it a lot worse. 

Takeaways:

- The Sentinel just doesn't do the kind of damage a specific player would like, and they aren't alone.  That's fine.

- The Sentinel has some perks to it that don't necessarily appeal to everyone beyond the damage equation.  Also fine. 

- The rest begins to tread into cherry picking for the sake of winning.  Can this stop?

Signed: A person that actually plays Defenders and finds a good bit of this to be bullshit at this point. 😂

I get your point from a defender standpoint. Damage is most certainly not the defender's roll, although some defender combos do quite well in that arena. Having taken a Rad/Rad defender to the late game I kind of find all the hand wringing about sentinel damage... quaint.

Strange old thread, this. I mean, I don’t enjoy playing Masterminds but I don’t go on the MM sub-forum and start a thread to tell Mastermind players how WRONG they are to enjoy their characters. 

It has always amazed me that people want to turn the incredible variety of CoH into a negative. There is an odd concept that dealing damage is the only thing people should value or enjoy doing. That has always confused me too. 

I play Sentinels a lot and I play blasters a lot. Love them both. I also play corrupters and defenders a bit. I’m basically a ranged kind of guy. I mean, I have one particular Dominator I love too, but it’s only got ranged powers. I’ve got Incarnates in the other ATs too, I just don’t enjoy them as much. 

Obviously Sentinels are lower damage than Blasters. They’re designed to be. Look on the creator screen when you first make a new character and blasters have damage rating of 10 compared to 7 for a blaster. If you want to play a damage dealer, don’t play a Sentinel, and if you misunderstood and thought Sentinels are supposed to be huge damage dealers, that’s on you. Don’t blame Sentinels. 

Personally, I get a lot of pleasure from playing Sentinels, and the thing I enjoy about them isn’t the average damage but the immense versatility. 

On my Elec/Elec/Elec, if I fancy it I can run into a mob without fear, survive it, crowd control it, debuff it, and kill it. I can just as easily, if I fancy it, hover at range and do some pew-pewing. Same goes for my Psy/Invul/Psi. And my Dark/SR/Psi. When I join a team I don’t have to worry about buffers and debuffers and healers, or worry about buffers, debuffers, and healers worrying about me. My Sentinels are completely self-sustained steady-Eddys that are highly adaptive to most of my moods and the many situations CoH may drop me into. 

Sometimes, admittedly, I’m in the mood for  dishing out pure, unadulterated, utterly obscene levels of damage with just enough survivability to keep me upright but very little else. When I’m in those moods I load up a blaster rather than slag off my Sentinels. 

Like @oldskool, I’ve had plenty of compliments about how my Sentinels perform too. The Elec/Elec/Elec and Psy/Invul/Psi are the stars of the show there. Much less so other builds, but all ATs have their combinations that click better with us. But either way, I’ve never felt like I’m not contributing to a team. 

Of course, Sentinels could do with some work, and I think they’ll get it sooner or later. I’d like to see a damage buff and at least a tweak to the inherent. 

But it’s not like people here aren’t aware of blasters or scrappers or brutes or whatever else the OP prefers to Sentinels. It’s not like he is some singular truth-seer who is nobly doing us the service of broadening our knowledge with obscure secrets. We all know about other ATs, probably enjoy playing at least most of them too in all their varied glory. We just enjoy what Sentinels have to offer too. 

• Like 3