Is this possible?

Semler

I want to make a macro that I can hit and it will randomly pull from an assortment of cliche cop sayings every time I hit the macro.

For example, target a Skull, press the macro and it goes to the list, gets one-liner and my character says "<target>, Random saying"

Can this be done, and how?

• Like 1

To my knowledge, there is no way to do with with a macro. However, you can make a "Rotating Bind" to rotate between a list of sayings. It isn't random, but it can rotate through several -- enough to break up the monotony of saying the same thing each time.

Check out this link: << Link removed, replaced with less sketchy link >>  https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/The_Incomplete_and_Unofficial_Guide_to_/bind

and look at the section titled:  Back on Course: Creating a Rotating Bind

Good luck with it, it sounds like a fun project.

Edited by Hardship

26 minutes ago, Hardship said:

To my knowledge, there is no way to do with with a macro. However, you can make a "Rotating Bind" to rotate between a list of sayings. It isn't random, but it can rotate through several -- enough to break up the monotony of saying the same thing each time.

Check out this link:  https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/The_Incomplete_and_Unofficial_Guide_to_/bind

and look at the section titled:  Back on Course: Creating a Rotating Bind

Good luck with it, it sounds like a fun project.

Thanks for the lead, I'll check it out.

14 hours ago, Hardship said:

Not with just macros or binds. Back on live, I had a tank that I'd set up with a Perl script that ran in the background which would loop, picking a random entry from a file of insults and write a bind file with that insult. The bind would have the character say the insult in local, taunt, then reload the bind from the file (which would have a new insult in it).

2 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Not with just macros or binds. Back on live, I had a tank that I'd set up with a Perl script that ran in the background which would loop, picking a random entry from a file of insults and write a bind file with that insult. The bind would have the character say the insult in local, taunt, then reload the bind from the file (which would have a new insult in it).

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was looking for but sounds more involved than I know how to do.

On 2/28/2020 at 12:08 AM, Hardship said:

Rather than using that site, which exists simply by ripping off other sites and servers up sketchy ads, I would suggest you go to the ORIGINAL SOURCE which was created by players of the game.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/The_Incomplete_and_Unofficial_Guide_to_/bind

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I did this once on another game.  It was great.  But a word of advice.  Set it up to not trigger every time (use blanks in your pool or add a 2nd check to choose to fire or not).  What I mean is, don't do it every time you use "power X" or every time you change targets, etc.  In fact, I would aim for about 1 trigger every 3-5 minutes with 10-20 variants on what you say.  This allows you to be amusing and witty, without crossing the line to being annoying.

• Like 4

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

On 3/2/2020 at 12:04 PM, Shred Monkey said:

This allows you to be amusing and witty, without crossing the line to being annoying.

Well, there's annoying annoying and funny annoying.

I think my sonic defender, named Mr. Shouty, was funny annoying BECAUSE HE ONLY SPOKE IN ALL CAPS!

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.