Melee Tank Mastermind? Name Pending & Ideas welcome!

OnigiriKid

This is basically an idea of changing the Mastermind from a supportive ranged DPS to a tanky melee support, focusing on high aggro and working on applying debuffs up close, effectively being an off brand tanker.

Of course this sounds weird without any thought into the powersets, which luckily I thought of.

Thugs, Beast Mastery, Ninjas, they all work well, just give thugs street fighting or club, beast mastery Savage melee, and ninjas the ninja sword. But that begs the question on what else? I was personally thinking clones (Which could have different edits cosmetically but would have to be as simple as Illusion's clones.), maybe Illusion Mastery, and so forth, they would gain typical mastermind powers geared towards their mobs but their attacks and such would be geared towards debuffs rather than straight damage. With defensive secondary sets that benefit much like a brute's would, and otherwise turn the normally squishy folk into something capable of aggro.

Thoughts on this would help, I'd like to see everyone's thoughts on such a idea, and what extra powersets for the primary they could think of.

4 hours ago, OnigiriKid said:

Of course this sounds weird without any thought into the powersets, which luckily I thought of.

You've thought about the pets.  But you don't appear to have put much thought into the other powers in the primary (which are a mix of melee and ranged attacks depending on the set).  Nor do you appear to have put any thought into the secondaries.  Currently the secondaries (mostly) revolve around pet support - and leave the Mastermind vulnerable at melee ranges unless they're in Bodyguard mode.  (Which is still kinda vulnerable and you lose the advantages of having pets in the first place.)

Basically, as it stands, you've created a sort of Tankermind AT, only more vulnerable (since you're planning on not having the pets in Bodyguard mode)...  Which is kinda pointless since you can already build a vulnerable Tankermind.

4 hours ago, OnigiriKid said:

Thoughts on this would help, I'd like to see everyone's thoughts on such a idea, and what extra powersets for the primary they could think of.

If you want this AT to stand out you need to be looking at the secondaries, not the primaries.  It's the secondaries that will bring the flavor and differentiate the Melee Mastermind from the current Mastermind or the Tankermind (which relies on pool powers and Bodyguard mode).

Edited to add:

And this is a real problem, because melee AT's get an offensive set *and* a defensive set.  You'll need entirely new secondaries that combine both, plus the offensive powers in the primary, to build an effective melee toon, and that will cost you pet support.  I suspect that can't fit all four attributes (pets, pet support, offensive, defensive/mitigation) into two power sets and still have an effective toon.  (Not without overpowering individual powers, and that's a bad idea.)  Pick three, or more likely two.  At that point, we're back to the "why bother?" stage because you've either got a weak Mastermind or a weak melee toon.  What would such an AT bring to the table?

Edited by Doc_Scorpion

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Maybe this is just a quirk of how you worded it and you're not actually suggesting this, but changing the fundamental focus of an existing AT is a complete non-starter. Add a new AT that behaves this way if you want, but don't touch MM.

This seems like a new AT, but workable. I'd go with Assault primary and pet secondary, with the three personal attacks in the sets replaced with three armor toggles. Possibly redo the level 18 ability for all of them too. 

For example:

Necromancy could get Dark Embrace, Murky Cloud, and Obsidian Shield

Bots could get Charged Armor, Conductive Shield, and Static Shield. 

Ninjas could get Danger Sense, Ninja Reflexes and maybe a combination of Kuji-In Rin and Bo Ryaku.

I accidentally put change instead of make a new entire archetype for this, I was so caught up in my frivolous idea that I didn't think to differentiate it, I apologize for my mistake, but even then you all assumed my original intent and even if you didn't, you all are coming up with wonderful ideas and concepts. I'd like to see more, I'm more of a suggestor rather than a planner, and rather see my idea bounce off the community.

I apologize and thank you all for participating in my wacky idea~!