Do Katana and Super Reflexes work well together?

6 minutes ago, Crater Kate said:

This is... not completely true.

I have a semi-retired StJ/SR Stalker (an AT that shares the same defense scaling as Scrappers) who I've run through Incarnate content for a while, and got to Vet Level 20ish. I built her heavily with survivability in mind, under the premise that a StJ Stalker doesn't really need a ton of help offensively. When I had her fully built out for durability, she was defense softcapped to Incarnate content, and sat at 51% S/L resist at max HP. By half health, that's already up to resistance levels you're talking about. Now granted, I had to do a lot of sketchy things to get her there, like prioritizing Mako's Bite over purple sets, and I rebuilt her a little more "responsibly" later on - with the rebuild, she was somewhere around 43.5% S/L. That's still hitting those resists at around 40% health. It IS possible to get fairly decent resists out of /SR, but you have to work for it.

@Werner was a little more on the money - the big problem I've found with /SR is the lack of sustain, ie, healing (the other problem for me was lack of HP, but that's much more a Stalker problem than it is a Scrapper problem). You can take external steps to fix that, but as always you have to make sacrifices to get there. For my Stalker, it was too many pressure points for soloing high level content, but on iTrial teams, she was extremely durable (as well as still outputting stupid damage). As you move through the more durable ATs, where the extra HP helps /SR disproportionately, I think you'll find /SR starts losing a lot of that stress I found it under.

My issues with /SR as a hole are as you described.  If other resist-based sets "work for it" they can achieve extremely high levels of resist and are not running around at 40%HP.  40%HP is an unecessary risk when other sets can achieve the same at 100%HP and have high regen, or a direct self-heal.  With the entire group running +def buffs through Leadership: Manueuvers and the random corrupter/defender based buffs such as Dark, Storm, ForceField, etc, reaching 59% defence is now a standard rather than a goal.

I think we need to define anecdotal versions of "extremely durable", which is calculated as "Layered Defense" by having 3 (well 4) things.  Defense + Resist + HP = effective HP.  Then adding a heal means you've replenished your effective.

Below is Spines/Dark Armour at 100%HP.  Although the nature of /SR doesn't give direct resist before taking damage, I hope the Devs can add some mechanic to give "reaction time" for players playing /SR rather than the live/die or Green Candy button when getting hit.

image.png.13d0cbd224a6f4c21b167e81c773b53f.png

3 hours ago, Obus Form said:

Below is Spines/Dark Armour at 100%HP.  Although the nature of /SR doesn't give direct resist before taking damage, I hope the Devs can add some mechanic to give "reaction time" for players playing /SR rather than the live/die or Green Candy button when getting hit.

I find it amazing that many people are holding out hope for some kind of buff to SR 

Its a solid set that does great on nearly all content.  

Its only "holes" are auto-hit powers and Terrorize.  And Terrorize usually is only a problem if its autohit Terrorize.  

Can you find at certain levels of IO investment more survivable combos?  Sure.   That doesn't therefore mean SR is Underpowered.  

• 9 months later