Stop the self paralysis for too long graphic powers

DrRocket

This is more of a peeve, yet it can be valid...

When I play a scrapper for example, their power that gives them protections to status effects must be renewed periodically , not really much of an issue in general. Yet when I am in combat and its time to refresh my protection against status effects, I have little choice but to click on the please save me from the I win button or be subject to the spam status effect attacks. When I do so, the character engages in theatrics, poses in the middle of combat, which I refer as the pinata effect. In the pinata effect, my character is simply clowning and letting all the mobs get 1 to 2 free attacks on while the idiotic graphic takes its course. While self-paralyzed and doing incarnate TFs they are notorious for their area kill no save auto hit attacks, and guess what - Here is Stupido-Scrapper posing for the camera...

I would like to see the amount and duration of self paralyze effects go away or be greatly diminished, I get the Scrapper status protection graphic, ya it looks cool but it also looks perfectly stupid during combat. So why not the first time in game that the power is engaged the full paralyzing graphic is employed, but afterwards is just a discrete temporary glow about the character which does not keep them from attackin and moving.

There are a lot of attacks especially for melee that have very long graphics with the same detrimental effect. not only does the graphic seriously reduce the dps of the attack, but also damns the melee to stay put and let mobs enjoy the Pinata effect, and prevent the melee from moving out of a killer field which has auto hit and ignore everything. This needs to be alleviated, perhaps after the first half of the graphic you can move?

Same goes for support types which the use of a power results with self-paralyzation, why not make changes to allow powers such as heal, buffs, debuffs be on-the go powers instead of stop and fire?

Just a thought...

V/R

51 minutes ago, DrRocket said:

When I play a scrapper for example, their power that gives them protections to status effects must be renewed periodically , not really much of an issue in general. Yet when I am in combat and its time to refresh my protection against status effects, I have little choice but to click on the please save me from the I win button or be subject to the spam status effect attacks. When I do so, the character engages in theatrics, poses in the middle of combat, which I refer as the pinata effect. In the pinata effect, my character is simply clowning and letting all the mobs get 1 to 2 free attacks on while the idiotic graphic takes its course. While self-paralyzed and doing incarnate TFs they are notorious for their area kill no save auto hit attacks, and guess what - Here is Stupido-Scrapper posing for the camera...

That's the nature of click mez protection in some sets like Shield & Super Reflexes.  If you don't like it then you can play a set with toggle mez protection... most of the sets have a toggle protection instead of a click.  There's pros and cons to each of them and the sets with click mez protection are in the minority, most have a toggle power with that.  Most of us playing a click mez set simply set the power to auto fire and forget about it.  (I assume you know this, but you Control+Click the power and a ring will appear around it... it'll fire off as it recharges automatically)

Pick a set with toggle mez protection, it seems that Shield, Super Reflexes and one or two others aren't for you.  Roll an Invuln, a Willpower, a Dark, an Electric, an Energy... the list of sets with toggle mez is much larger than those with click mez.

• Like 2

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Related to this is something that has really begun to annoy me recently: my characters having to stop and perform the casting animations for every toggle each time they come out of a loading screen. This is most noticeable on a toon with Dark Aura; I swear that summoning Death Shroud takes 5 seconds every time I get off the tram or walk through a door.

4 hours ago, RikOz said:

Related to this is something that has really begun to annoy me recently: my characters having to stop and perform the casting animations for every toggle each time they come out of a loading screen. This is most noticeable on a toon with Dark Aura; I swear that summoning Death Shroud takes 5 seconds every time I get off the tram or walk through a door.

My hypothesis is that the game doesn't save your state between zoning, and instead sort of keeps a log of all affects/power applied to you, then re-applies them when you load into the new zone.  It's sort of why a MM pets appear to die to other players when they zone...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, biostem said:

My hypothesis is that the game doesn't save your state between zoning, and instead sort of keeps a log of all affects/power applied to you, then re-applies them when you load into the new zone.  It's sort of why a MM pets appear to die to other players when they zone...

I'm not sure if it's still this way but you used to be able to get double buffs if you zoned.  For example, the Kinetic hits everyone with speed boost outside, the team enters the mission and the Kin hits you with SB again... everyone has it double stacked.  Force Fields, Ice Shields and the like had the same behavior; the game lost track of where the buff came from on zoning so allowed the same caster to stack it.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Just now, Call Me Awesome said:

I'm not sure if it's still this way but you used to be able to get double buffs if you zoned.  For example, the Kinetic hits everyone with speed boost outside, the team enters the mission and the Kin hits you with SB again... everyone has it double stacked.  Force Fields, Ice Shields and the like had the same behavior; the game lost track of where the buff came from on zoning so allowed the same caster to stack it.

Yeah - You'll sometimes see, if you have your log open, an entry that says "Something" instead of the name of the source of the buff...

7 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

For example, the Kinetic hits everyone with speed boost outside, the team enters the mission and the Kin hits you with SB again... everyone has it double stacked

Wow, that would be awful. For me at least, that would mean an almost complete inability to control my character. I'd be bouncing off the walls!

Amusing anecdote: Back on live, on only my second day playing the game, somebody gave my character some kind of superspeed boost (IIRC, it was from that Mystic Fortune deck - I remember a popup saying somebody wanted to read my fortune), and I was freaking out because, as I said, I could barely control my character and seemed to be slamming into a wall every time I moved, and I had absolutely no idea how to get the damned buff off of myself.

I agree that build up/aim (insert other non-attack powers here) animations rooting you and playing their odd animation in the middle of combat is ridiculous.  I wish there were some combat check like there is for snipe to shortcut the 'pinata effect'.

As for actual attack powers rooting you, much of that is baked into the DPS and DPA of a set, like shadow maul has you whiffing away even if it misses.  I believe that without the rooting effect, much of the strategy of the game would be lost. 

For instance, I have 4 HP left, do I want to use flurry and risk this guy killing me or do I want to run away and recover?  Without rooting it becomes use flurry AND run away (presuming melee range for the initiation of the power only and continued melee range not being required) which greatly reduces the risk.   It would also make every power joust-able and possibly lead to less diverse playstyle and, again, strategies

In other cases it could greatly increase the DPS which may cause some sets to become unbalanced (even more than some are now). 

I totally hate being rooted in place for certain powers, but I still think that its a mechanic that leads to more interesting gameplay.

• Like 1

For attack powers, I've noticed an annoying thing with some of my Fire blaster's powers (and only some of them) that the rooting remains in effect for a second or two after the actual attack animation is finished. It really isn't noticeable until a Carnie manages to get into melee range and dies at my feet, and I try to move away to get out of their endurance-drain death effect

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RikOz said:

Wow, that would be awful. For me at least, that would mean an almost complete inability to control my character. I'd be bouncing off the walls!

Amusing anecdote: Back on live, on only my second day playing the game, somebody gave my character some kind of superspeed boost (IIRC, it was from that Mystic Fortune deck - I remember a popup saying somebody wanted to read my fortune), and I was freaking out because, as I said, I could barely control my character and seemed to be slamming into a wall every time I moved, and I had absolutely no idea how to get the damned buff off of myself.

You probably already know this, but you can disable the speed effects of the power at Null the Gull in Pocket D - that way you can take advantage of the recovery and recharge buffs that people usually love the power for. Note that this will not affect your own powers from boosting your movement speeds.

Also, sounds like you got The Fool temp power - I believe you can delete these by going to your powers list, right-clicking the power, and selecting Delete Power from the menu. Some powers don't show up there, though, so I can't guarantee it.

Both of these options were added specifically because of complaints like yours about some "buffs" making their character unplayable.