Customization a la Freedom Force

VinicanMorbo

Has there been any discussion/rumblings about throwing open character modelling or power animations to general public?

This was done back in the day with Freedom Force and it was a complete joy to play. Granted it was a single player game and not open to lawsuits in that respect, but the idea of community developed add-ons has always been a plus because of the passion involved.

7 hours ago, VinicanMorbo said:

Has there been any discussion/rumblings about throwing open character modelling or power animations to general public?

This was done back in the day with Freedom Force and it was a complete joy to play. Granted it was a single player game and not open to lawsuits in that respect, but the idea of community developed add-ons has always been a plus because of the passion involved.

I'm sure many people would like that/have requested it, but, to my knowledge, the game just isn't able to support that level to power customization.  With being able to tint most power sets and some having alternate animations, you can get pretty close;  If you want an "ice set" that deals damage over time instead of the slows, then you can color fire blast blue, etc.  It's not perfect, but it's something...

I've wondered if using the AE tools, gifted character creators could assist limited dev staff with such tasks.

Edited by Troo
  • Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I think the hold up right now is agreements with NC Soft.  Probably the devs can't open the door too much to customization because it might piss off NC Soft.  So we have to wait to find out kind of agreement will be made with them (hopefully one that allows lots of people to contribute and add cool stuff to the game).  It sucks to have to wait but licensing issues and IP are a big deal, so it makes sense that they need to make sure all the legal bases are covered.

Freedom Force was built with customisation in place from the get-go. It used standard file types, had a really clear standard for working with the models and for how textures were organised. The developers, who really were a brilliant bunch, even released the existing game assets for people to customise and created tools by which to do so. Folks like Dr Mike really pushed the capabilities of that game in astounding ways.

CoH... not so much. It uses weird, proprietary file types and the models have proven a little more challenging. Ourodev mentioned something about a 3DS max plugin. That would open doors, but I haven't kept track to hear how that's gone. In the meantime, you can mod textures and sounds locally, though adding additional assets obviously requires a dev to actually implement them.

Edited by Lines

• 1 month later