Attuned Enhancement Help

jagspowar

Is it true that all purple sets should be boosted rather than attuned? Or is it just the Winter and PvP sets?

Specifically, I want to slot Armageddon, but I'm not sure if I should be buying the level 50 and boosting it, or buying attuned versions. Is there an easy way to tell what specific set should be attuned and what should be boosted, or is it purely as simple as "attune orange, boost purple"?

Purple and PvP sets always exemplar down, so they don't need to be attuned.  The set bonuses of everything else only exemplars down three levels, so if you want the set bonuses to exemplar down beyond three levels (to the minimum level of the set), then you need to attune.

If you don't care about exemplaring down that far, then don't attune: boost, instead.

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Thanks 2

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

2 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

Purple and PvP sets always exemplar down, so they don't need to be attuned. 

And PvP sets/Winter sets don't even have levels anyway, right?

And just to confirm, I should boost my Armageddon set because there's really no purpose to attune it?

Edited by jagspowar

Catalyst do not just attune, on Archetype Enhancements and Winter Sets they make them "Superior"  Which is versions with higher enhancement values, bigger set bonuses, and a better special enhancement bonus. This also can not be done till you are level 50. 

Example:

Normal Blaster' Wrath set values:

Two enhancements improves the Accuracy of all your powers by 7%.

Three enhancements improves the Range of all your powers by 7.5%.

Four enhancements improves the Damage of all your powers by 3%.

Five enhancements improves the Recharge of all your powers by 8.75%.

Six enhancements increases Ranged Defense by 3.125%.

Six enhancements increases Energy and Negative Energy Defense by 1.575%.

Superior Blaster's Wrath set values:

Two enhancements improves the Accuracy of all your powers by 15%.

Three enhancements improves the Range of all your powers by 10%.

Four enhancements improves the Damage of all your powers by 4%.

Five enhancements improves the Recharge of all your powers by 10%.

Six enhancements increases Ranged Defense by 5%.

Six enhancements increases Energy and Negative Energy Defense by 2.52%.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jagspowar said:

And PvP sets/Winter sets don't even have levels anyway, right?

And just to confirm, I should boost my Armageddon set because there's really no purpose to attune it?

You cannot boost the Winter and ATO sets.  You use the Catalysts on these to make them Superior, which increases their stat and bonus values (as described by @SuperPlyx).  Or you can just buy the Superior versions on the AH, and save/sell the Catalysts.

Yes, because Armageddon is purple, you should not attune it: you should boost it.  That increases their enhancement percentages, but doesn't alter the set bonuses.  For example, Armageddon: Damage at 50 increases damage by 53%.  If you boost it to 50+5, the damage increases to 66.25%.

(edit) BTW: attunement/boosting has no effect on static procs, like Miracle: +Recovery.  So you don't have to attune or boost those at all.  However, if an enhancement has a proc and increases a stat, you may want to attune or boost that (if it's not purple/PvP, of course). 

Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed is one of these that's both a proc and a stat enhancement.  The attune/boost has no effect on the Increased Global Recharge Speed proc, but it does apply to the Defense stat and set bonus.  Consequently, if you want to use LotG: +Def/Global Rech as part of a set, you need to attune it.  Or if you want to maximize its +Defense, you need to boost it.  Unfortunately, you can't do both.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

2 minutes ago, jagspowar said:

@Rathulfr one more question actually, I can't boost the Superior winter sets, right? They don't come with a level.

3 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

You cannot boost the Winter and ATO sets.

@Rathstar

For PvP IOs, if you plan to spot some just for their proc bonus (Pancea, Gladiator’s Armor and Shield Wall), it’s a good idea to either attune them or just craft them from level 10 recipes so that you can slot them as early as possible.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

On 4/7/2020 at 2:23 AM, Rathulfr said:

Purple and PvP sets always exemplar down, so they don't need to be attuned. 

PvP sets, unlike purples, drop across a wide range of levels.  I think all of them span the range 10-50.  If you get a PvP recipe less than 50, it is worthwhile to attune it so that its stats improve and max out.  An attuned Panacea can be slotted at level 7,  which usually makes it the first thing to go into Health. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

11 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

PvP sets, unlike purples, drop across a wide range of levels.  I think all of them span the range 10-50.  If you get a PvP recipe less than 50, it is worthwhile to attune it so that its stats improve and max out.  An attuned Panacea can be slotted at level 7,  which usually makes it the first thing to go into Health. 

Or sell the lower level one on the market once you hit 50 and buy a level 50 one.  The cost of the unslotter plus the sales fee is way cheaper than buying a Booster.

Or, even better to me, have the level 10 Panacea to slot at 7, unslot it at 50 and slot a 50 one, then store the level 7 for the next alt.

19 minutes ago, Caulderone said:

Or sell the lower level one on the market once you hit 50 and buy a level 50 one.  The cost of the unslotter plus the sales fee is way cheaper than buying a Booster.

When I have nothing better to do, I log on to one of my sturdier 50s and street hunt random 50 stuff, usually working the Roman wall or repeatable DA missions.  When one of them gets a catalyst drop, it's time to stow it in base and swap to another.  As such I have quite a few catalysts lying around, enough that I have no qualms about using them. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291