Psionic Melee Animation Proposal

I would love options for "All Fists" or "All Blades;" however, the blades are Psi/Lethal and the fists are Psi/Smashing. The game doesn't support changing damage type based on graphic effect. Lose the Smashing and PM becomes even less effective against Bots; lose the lethal and the same is true for things like Zombies and DE plant-life, etc.

Not familiar enough with the animations listed in the OP to say if those are the alternates I would want, but I fully support alternates.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

If we're proposing alternate animations for psi attacks, then let me cast my vote for some of the non-blade attacks, like Mental StrikeTelekinetic BlowBoggle, and Mass Levitate to use less physically emotive attack animations.  Psionic melee is attacking with the mind, not the body.  One shouldn't have to make a fist and swing it to manifest a giant telekinetic fist.  I'd like some minimal animation options like maybe the Kuji-In animations in the Ninjitsu powerset showing more of a mental focus and concentration effort.

2 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

I would love options for "All Fists" or "All Blades;" however, the blades are Psi/Lethal and the fists are Psi/Smashing. The game doesn't support changing damage type based on graphic effect. Lose the Smashing and PM becomes even less effective against Bots; lose the lethal and the same is true for things like Zombies and DE plant-life, etc.

Not familiar enough with the animations listed in the OP to say if those are the alternates I would want, but I fully support alternates.

It's all mental attacks.  Who's to say a psionic manifested fist can't do Lethal damage?  And while the psi-blades look like stabby things, they aren't well defined knives or swords, just a pointy-shaped psionic energy, so why couldn't they deal smashing?  If someone wants all fists or all "blades" to display, the damage type of the attack really shouldn't matter.

On 5/4/2023 at 8:22 AM, Nitrogen Star said:

Nice work! I am very interested in this, since i as well never managed to play a psionic melee character for long, the animations just felt boring to me after a while.

I especially like the psi blade- vicious slash switch. And KO blow, surprisingly, looks cool too with the energy blade.

How did you do it? I suspect it's not very different than replacing sound files, but i may be wrong and my techno mumbo-jumbo is on cro-magnon levels. Could you explain it and tell me where to find the files to replace?

Just one more thought. I'd like to try and change telekinetic blow to cobra strike from martial arts. I think it would be cool and more thematic for martial/ninja characters using their chi as a weapon. The animation is minimally longer and i wouldn't mind a fraction of a second in exchange for fun factor. Is it doable?

Yes replacement is done exactly the same way you replace the sound files.

You have to unzip the pigg to get at the animation files (sounds weird if u say it out loud)

unfortunately a large portion of the animation files are NOT named after their in game counterparts which means a lot of trial and error, so I do not know what the cobra strike animation is named. But yes it is possible. a fraction of a second is normally within the tolerable range.

If you have any sound files for psi melee i will gladly accept 🙂

Finally here are the files you need. and the path is 

C:\Games\Homecoming\data\Player_Library\Animations\Male

You may have to create the underlined folders yourself. Let me know if you like it. Stay safe and have fun out there

Edited by Saiyajinzoningen
wrong files uploaded, my bad, im a newb

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

For the sounds, Solarverse himself made a lot of mods. I'm using a few of them, my favorite being radiation blast. His psionic mod sounded good too, but for some reason they become almost inaudible when played during the game, at least for me.

He already explained a while ago that sounds get toned down a lot in game, but the psi ones were lowered way way more than all the rest. It might be an issue i have on my side though, and you may try those. 

Regarding the animations, wich one is the pigg i should look into to get cobra strike from? I will try to get it myself.......if it doen't turn out to be  a monumental effort :)

For the ones you posted, should i rename them to what psi melee is actually called? because i placed them in the folder as they are, but it doesn't work. 

On 5/5/2023 at 8:34 AM, Nitrogen Star said:

For the sounds, Solarverse himself made a lot of mods. I'm using a few of them, my favorite being radiation blast. His psionic mod sounded good too, but for some reason they become almost inaudible when played during the game, at least for me.

He already explained a while ago that sounds get toned down a lot in game, but the psi ones were lowered way way more than all the rest. It might be an issue i have on my side though, and you may try those. 

Regarding the animations, wich one is the pigg i should look into to get cobra strike from? I will try to get it myself.......if it doen't turn out to be  a monumental effort 🙂

For the ones you posted, should i rename them to what psi melee is actually called? because i placed them in the folder as they are, but it doesn't work. 

my bad looks like i sent you the initial files and not the modified files.

I sincerely apologize ive never shared files like this before.

Here are the correct files, i will go back and delete the old upload 

If you can send me those sound files i will be eternally grateful. 

Stage1A.pigg        is the pigg with most of the animations in the game

psi_blade.anim psi_blade_air.anim psi_blade_great.anim psi_blade_great_air.anim psi_blade_sweep.anim psi_blade_sweep_air.anim telekinetic_blow.anim telekinetic_blow_air.anim

Edited by Saiyajinzoningen

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

Many thanks! It is working now, and i've made a new scrapper featuring the improved animations.

Sadly, i don't have the sound files anymore. I tried them long ago, and at that time i decided psi melee didn't suit my tastes, so i discarded the sounds too. Now i really wish i had kept them....

I looked back in the forum, and it looks like i was mistaken. They were in "Solarverse consolidated list of mods" post, but it wasn't him who made those, it was another forum user named Zed. But the link doesn't work anymore, and they were available on the cohmodder too, wich now is out of service as well.

I can only think of two solutions:  either some other player reads this and can make new mods ( in wich case i would be super grateful too ), or i can try asking a friend of mine who may have insight on how make sounds. But that will take time

Edited by Nitrogen Star
  • Thanks 1