Suggestion: Delink 'only affects self' from the Walk power

This has probably been suggested before, and I have no idea how much work it would involve, but it would be nice to be able to walk without everything getting turned off/detoggled. Walking along through a mission and just destroying everything would be fun. I honestly have no idea why walk toggles everything off in the first place. It's not as though walking is some big advantage that needs to punish you for doing it...?

It's animation. There are absolutely no animations for any of the powers with walk. Same reason you can't use powers on the rocket board, void skiff, and carpet.

There are animations to go from neutral to walk and walk to neutral. There are animation to go from neutral to combat stance and combat stance to neutral. There are no animations to go from walk to combat stance. There are no animations to use powers outside of combat stance.

I don't remember the exact number, but one of the animators talked about it in detail once, about how many different animations shield needed added, and it was just a massive investment of time.

If they allowed powers to work with walk, they would need multiple new animations for every power in the game.

As things are now, I don't think they can add new animations. Every new power they add uses old animations, but with different auras. It works well, but it limits them.

Edited by Major_Decoy
more detail
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, WumpusRat said:

This has probably been suggested before, and I have no idea how much work it would involve, but it would be nice to be able to walk without everything getting turned off/detoggled. Walking along through a mission and just destroying everything would be fun. I honestly have no idea why walk toggles everything off in the first place. It's not as though walking is some big advantage that needs to punish you for doing it...?

IIRC, the reason Walk toggles off powers is that Walk was created by one of the devs (Back Alley Brawler, maybe?) purely on his own time, because he wanted to help out the roleplayers who had been asking to able to have their characters walk rather than run for a long time.  The development time to create a fully functioning Walk would have been enormous, as Major_Decay said.  So Walk as we have it now was basically a gift to the RP community.

(Sometimes I really wish it was possible to search the old forums so we could look stuff like this up.  I tried to find something on the Wayback Machine archive, but failed.)

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

I just remember some posts by BAB talking delicately around the topic of just how damn sexy the female walk is, lol.

I'm all for this. I would happily pay a "redraw tax" where every action has to first move you to neutral to play out (since the engine is already set up to pick up the slack from there and correctly move you to combat stance) with a full transition back to Walk every time 2 seconds lapses, or 8 seconds, or whatever's appropriate.

Always wanted Walk to provide slowly scaling (with level) benefits so it slowly replaces Rest as you level 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Replacement said:

Always wanted Walk to provide slowly scaling (with level) benefits so it slowly replaces Rest as you level 

:: annihilates spawn ::

:: walks slowly and sexily towards next spawn while regenning ::

:: annihilates spawn ::

This is amazing and I need it.

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!