My friend dislikes my Controller

Socks10

On 5/2/2020 at 7:15 AM, VV said:

What AT does your friend play, Scrapper?

And, yeah, nobody likes good controllers because they are gawds amongst the rest of the peon ATs. Heck, Singularity is a better combatant than many players I've teamed with.  This is probably why he dislikes it. When you are playing an Ice/Ice tank, you desperately need help killing mobs before they die of old age. Grav/Time, not so much.

Of course, nobody likes bad controllers, but that's kind of a pointless thing to say. Nobody likes bad tankers, blasters, etc, either.

Heh, heh...heh....

My ice tank, since the reformation doesn't take 'as long' as it used to.  No fire tanker...but I've built my Ice tank for damage.  It's night and day to what it used to be.

Grav/Time.  Well, yes...if we must watch paint dry if damage through put is the criteria for success.

I do enjoy both my Ice tank and my Grav/time 'troller.

Azrael.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 11:46 AM, Hardboiled Hero said:

You really want to set your "friend" straight, play an energy sentinel, they can get faster attack speed than energy blasters, in order to be extra annoying.

In answer to the question though, I must be a horrible controller, but people rarely complain.  Generally speaking, poor controls is better than no controls.. sure it can make fights take longer, but it still stops people from dying, and dying repeatedly makes fights take longer as well.  Then again, I rarely play controllers..  Dominators all the time though.  I just don't get how people can stand playing a AT that seems to have so little killpower in it..  maybe that's a result of the fact that I've never actually played CoH with friends though. (I'm livin' the pug life)

Energy sents rock.  A blaster that can 'junior' tank.  Mine is pure rock and roll.  Just got to tweak the build for accuracy.  I used to dream of an en blaster that could 'take a punch' on live. 

Now I have 'that dream.'

Azrael.

7 hours ago, Golden Azrael said:

Heh, heh...heh....

My ice tank, since the reformation doesn't take 'as long' as it used to.  No fire tanker...but I've built my Ice tank for damage.  It's night and day to what it used to be.

Grav/Time.  Well, yes...if we must watch paint dry if damage through put is the criteria for success.

I do enjoy both my Ice tank and my Grav/time 'troller.

Azrael.

This is kind of funny (to me). My first two main characters since I've been back are an Ice/Ice Tanker (50) and a Grav/Time Controller (45). Now I have a ton of alts, but that's another story.

I only die when I'm being stupid or not paying attention. 😛

The only thing that eclipses this is my en/en blaster which is built for pure speed.

The Sentinel is built for proc insanity.  So it's also very, very fast.  I just never stop blast tanking.  In the middle of melee. 

Sure, the mobs don't like me...but hey.

Azrael.

On 5/2/2020 at 3:15 AM, VV said:

What AT does your friend play, Scrapper?

And, yeah, nobody likes good controllers because they are gawds amongst the rest of the peon ATs. Heck, Singularity is a better combatant than many players I've teamed with.  This is probably why he dislikes it. When you are playing an Ice/Ice tank, you desperately need help killing mobs before they die of old age. Grav/Time, not so much.

Of course, nobody likes bad controllers, but that's kind of a pointless thing to say. Nobody likes bad tankers, blasters, etc, either.

My friend has the same problem as I do, we both pretty much play a different character ever night. Damn you altitis!

I actually realized yesterday that while I love my Grav/Time Controller, I really don't have any experience with other powersets in this AT. So, I decided to make an Ice/Ice Controller. I ended up getting help leveling to about 26 before I used him with some friends last night. Thankfully, because I tried to solo right away and in the late teens and it was painful. I still didn't feel overly helpful with my friends last night either. Ice Slick and Arctic Air are awesome. The holds are great too. The shields? Eh. I can't imagine anyone I group with wanting to look like a block of ice. I even tried Minimal FX and they're still pretty obnoxious. I still plan on using him a bit more before making a final decision, but I also imagine I'll spend some time in the character creator to fine another Controller to check out. 🙂

I do try to make a point not to mind other people playing their characters or tell them how to play them.

That said, Wormhole does seem rather rare.  Rare enough that my usual reaction to it is to reset the wifi.  Hard to distinguish from ordinary rubberbanding. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 5/6/2020 at 1:09 PM, Socks10 said:

My friend has the same problem as I do, we both pretty much play a different character ever night. Damn you altitis!

I actually realized yesterday that while I love my Grav/Time Controller, I really don't have any experience with other powersets in this AT. So, I decided to make an Ice/Ice Controller. I ended up getting help leveling to about 26 before I used him with some friends last night. Thankfully, because I tried to solo right away and in the late teens and it was painful. I still didn't feel overly helpful with my friends last night either. Ice Slick and Arctic Air are awesome. The holds are great too. The shields? Eh. I can't imagine anyone I group with wanting to look like a block of ice. I even tried Minimal FX and they're still pretty obnoxious. I still plan on using him a bit more before making a final decision, but I also imagine I'll spend some time in the character creator to fine another Controller to check out. 🙂

I remember being very patient with my ice/rad controller up to L32.  I got the 'Jack Frost' pet.

I found it hard going.  Felt like a spectator in teams.

As someone once said to me.

'If you want to roll an ice controller and do damage?  Roll an ice blaster.'

I did and was far more satisfied.

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael

On 5/6/2020 at 8:09 AM, Socks10 said:

I'm not normally a controller kinda person, but I made a Illusion/sonic controller that actually seems pretty fun.  The character actually only uses 1 or 2 controls, but they are solid controls.  Other than that it's a lot of buffs and debuffs.  I was running with a group the whole time though, so I don't really know about solo potential.

1 hour ago, Golden Azrael said:

I remember being very patient with my ice/rad controller up to L32.  I got the 'Jack Frost' pet.

I found it hard going.  Felt like a spectator in teams.

As someone once said to me.

'If you want to roll an ice controller and do damage?  Roll an ice blaster.'

I did and was far more satisfied.

Azrael.

I actually had an Ice blaster already, he’s level 39 currently. I really like him. He does excellent damage and feels like he’s contributing a lot in teams. I still made this Ice/Cold Controller though and actually hit level 41 last night. He feels much more useful on teams now and has a bit of damage.

I ran a strike force with a few friends the other night. It had a boss at the end names Infernal I think. We had to give up. We had no issues with this strike force until then. Now, we didn’t have an optimal group I’m sure. There were only 4 of us, me a 34 Dark/Energy Dom, a 37 MA Scrapper, a Water/ Poison Corr(?), and a Fire/Fire Blaster. Now, I feel like this is where my Ice//Cold Controller would really shine. I want to think he could have dropped the bosses Regen so low we would have tore him up easily...or maybe I should just have brought the Ice Blaster in to drop the damage. 🙂

4 hours ago, Socks10 said:

I actually had an Ice blaster already, he’s level 39 currently. I really like him. He does excellent damage and feels like he’s contributing a lot in teams. I still made this Ice/Cold Controller though and actually hit level 41 last night. He feels much more useful on teams now and has a bit of damage.

I ran a strike force with a few friends the other night. It had a boss at the end names Infernal I think. We had to give up. We had no issues with this strike force until then. Now, we didn’t have an optimal group I’m sure. There were only 4 of us, me a 34 Dark/Energy Dom, a 37 MA Scrapper, a Water/ Poison Corr(?), and a Fire/Fire Blaster. Now, I feel like this is where my Ice//Cold Controller would really shine. I want to think he could have dropped the bosses Regen so low we would have tore him up easily...or maybe I should just have brought the Ice Blaster in to drop the damage. 🙂

Well just talking without knowing the facts, it sounds like a group that should be able to take down an AV, at least on paper. 
The cold shields will give everyone excellent defence, helped by the dark control’s -hit.

Sleet should be great for buffing everyone’s damage, and the cold and poison debuffs will help a lot as well.

Personally I think part of enjoying a character is finding out what is their niche role, or their USP (unique selling point), for your character it would definitely be the cold domination, which is a great set. Anytime your controls are not super needed just lean on that a lot. 
If you really find yourself struggling to enjoy it, I’d recommend trying a Cold/Ice Defender, it would be much friendlier solo for damage, and in teams, and your buffs/debuffs would be unparalleled. I’ve isn’t the best control set unfortunately, but it still gets the job done most of the time.

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

31 minutes ago, Peacemoon said:

Well just talking without knowing the facts, it sounds like a group that should be able to take down an AV, at least on paper. 
The cold shields will give everyone excellent defence, helped by the dark control’s -hit.

Sleet should be great for buffing everyone’s damage, and the cold and poison debuffs will help a lot as well.

Personally I think part of enjoying a character is finding out what is their niche role, or their USP (unique selling point), for your character it would definitely be the cold domination, which is a great set. Anytime your controls are not super needed just lean on that a lot. 
If you really find yourself struggling to enjoy it, I’d recommend trying a Cold/Ice Defender, it would be much friendlier solo for damage, and in teams, and your buffs/debuffs would be unparalleled. I’ve isn’t the best control set unfortunately, but it still gets the job done most of the time.

We didn’t have my Ice/Cold Controller for the strike force. I was playing a Dark/Energy Dominator instead. This was fine for most of the strike force, but not for the AV at the end. I could have maybe used my Controller instead. I feel like we had enough with our group, but we failed horribly. 

You’re 100% correct, part of the fun of playing any character is finding out where and when they shine. This is why I love playing so many alts. Too many alts most would say. 🙂

19 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

Well said.

I was going to suggest they make a Cold/Ice defender.  It might suit their 'make up' better.  As you can drop into attack or defence rolls easily.  I've seen a few of them around and they always impress.

It was the last thing suggested to me to build on live before the plug got pulled.

Azrael.

19 hours ago, Socks10 said:

We didn’t have my Ice/Cold Controller for the strike force. I was playing a Dark/Energy Dominator instead. This was fine for most of the strike force, but not for the AV at the end. I could have maybe used my Controller instead. I feel like we had enough with our group, but we failed horribly. 

You’re 100% correct, part of the fun of playing any character is finding out where and when they shine. This is why I love playing so many alts. Too many alts most would say. 🙂

Yes.  It's about finding out the role you like and the AT that fits in with that.  Finding out their 'glass' ceiling and pushing that 'up.'

As for the AV.  Radiation. 😉

I have a Rad/Rad defender and an Ill / Rad' controller that have been dispatched to to deal with AVs.

It's a good boost to the ego.

Azrael.

2 hours ago, Golden Azrael said:

Yes.  It's about finding out the role you like and the AT that fits in with that.  Finding out their 'glass' ceiling and pushing that 'up.'

As for the AV.  Radiation. 😉

I have a Rad/Rad defender and an Ill / Rad' controller that have been dispatched to to deal with AVs.

It's a good boost to the ego.

Azrael.

I’d like to try my Ice/Cold Controller in an AV situation. I used him in pub groups last night and had fun. I felt like I was contributing. I also feel like I might enjoy Jack Frost more than Singularity. I know Singularity is the popular better pet, but I feel like he can be a hinderance on teams, throwing mobs out of melee range. Jack just runs around doing damage. 

I do have a level 19 Ill/Rad Controller. I like using him, but at the time I was really into my Grav/Time Controller. I might take him out for another spin. 

I might appear new to this game, but I do have something to say regarding this topic. I play nothing but Controllers and I get annoyed by other Controllers sometimes too. Locking down everything is cool and all, but there was a reason why City of Statues was nerfed a long time ago when the game was live. Completely locking down the enemy is not that useful to the party and it can ruin the fun of the game.

If everyone has competent builds they are confident playing safely and incoming damage is easily managed, then locking down the enemy only provides minor benefits to team survival while detracting from how fun the battle actually is for everyone involved. There are already examples in this thread on how Immobilize powers can actually put the party in danger by interfering with a Tank's ability to taunt or extend the length of battle by spreading everything apart. It is also not a recommended long-term plan for entertainment to just stand there and spam attacks on a target that does nothing back. Also, a controller focused on lockdown is not doing damage.

You should only focus on control if the party needs it; for example, when the party is nothing but squishy ranged fighters, so a mass Immobilize keeps them free from melee attacks. Spamming control powers in battle when it is not necessary is just performing a pointless action that might interfere with other playstyles or kill the fun and excitement of the game.

Control has uses, but if conditions are not met, a lockdown controller is pretty much dead weight to the party and can be annoying to play with.