Questions About DP/Nin

11Troy11

I'm working on a sentinel to fight my theme of a natural-bases crime fighter, and I *think* I've landed on DP/Nin for a few reasons:

1. DP is the only thing aside from AR, Archery, or beam rifle (I admit to some curiosity about BR, but may save that for another build).

2. Nin has a stealth component (important for solo I would think), helps with a faster run speed (important because I won't have a travel power beyond jets/jump packs), and gives me options if bad guys get too close.

I still have a lot of questions though:

1. I know some don't like the mechanics of DP. Is that more of a stylistic issue, or does it affect gameplay? Does it have any advantage(s) over beam rifle?

2. What in DP/Nin is skippable?

3. Are the melee attacks in Nin worth taking?

4. Would SR be a better choice for a secondary? My concern would be basically having to take everything from SR, and also how to overcome the endurance problem (without spending a billion ai might add). 

Thanks all

Could always try a Dual Pistols/Martial Combat Blaster if you want to go with a Natural origin ...

As for stealth ... you can always take the Stealth power from the Concealment pool and put a Stealth IO into Sprint and be able to "ninja" through missions just fine (except against stuff that would see through stealth anyway).

Dual Pistols is FINE as an attack power set.  What some people complain about is the lack of an Aim/Build Up power being traded out for Swap Ammo in addition to the lack of a snipe power in Dual Pistols (which makes sense because you can't exactly SNIPE like a rifle can with DUAL PISTOLS).  What you get instead is a VERY versatile powerset that isn't "wedded" to being played only one way, since you can just swap your ammo around to produce 4(!) different types of effects on whatever you're attacking.

Also, Suppressive Fire is a total proc monster power that also happens to mez(!), and Piercing Rounds (when enhanced for range) can function as a ~140ft "snipe" power that can hit up to 3 targets along that (4º cone) line of sight to your $Target.  For those bits of trickery (and a few other Ebil Ideas™), check out my (most recent) Time/Dual Pistols/Soul Defender build and see if the Dual Pistols slotting (and the reasons for why) appeal to you enough to want to port those bits over to either a Sentinel or a Blaster.

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

1 hour ago, 11Troy11 said:

4. Would SR be a better choice for a secondary? My concern would be basically having to take everything from SR, and also how to overcome the endurance problem (without spending a billion ai might add). 

I've been toying with a DP/SR build for a couple days.  I'll drop it in below for reference and maybe it will give you some ideas.

Sentinel /SR and /Nin both get an endurance ability.  SRs is passive (30% recovery + stamina's 25%) and Nin's is active (clicky that returns end).  Neither should have End issues.

1 hour ago, 11Troy11 said:

DP has a lot of interchangeable powers.  I'm skipping Pistols, Bullet Rain, and Piercing Rounds.

/Nin needs everything but the last two, Blinding Powder and Retsu.  BP could be nice, but its recharge is too long to be constantly useful.

Here is that work in progress build I'm considering.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Dual Pistols
Secondary Power Set: Super Reflexes
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Concealment

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dual Wield -- Thn-Acc/Dmg:36(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:36(3), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx:36(3), ExpStr-Dam%:10(5), ImpSwf-Dam%:10(5), GldJvl-Dam%:10(7)
Level 1: Focused Fighting -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx:36(A), ShlWal-Def:36(39), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:36(39), ShlWal-Def/Rchg:36(40)
Level 2: Focused Senses -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx:36(A), ShlWal-Def:36(40), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:36(40), ShlWal-Def/Rchg:36(42)
Level 4: Agile -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:36(A), LucoftheG-Def:36(46)
Level 6: Suppressive Fire -- Thn-Acc/Dmg:36(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:36(7), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:36(9), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%:20(9), NrnSht-Dam%:10(11), UnbCns-Dam%:50(11)
Level 8: Swap Ammo
Level 10: Master Brawler -- Prv-Heal:36(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx:36(13), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg:36(13), Prv-Heal/Rchg:36(15), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx:36(15), Prv-Absorb%:20(17)
Level 12: Empty Clips -- SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprOppStr-Dmg/Rchg:50(17), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(19), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(19), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(21), SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity:50(21)
Level 14: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow:10(A)
Level 16: Enduring -- PrfShf-EndMod:50(A), PrfShf-End%:21(23)
Level 18: Executioner's Shot -- Apc-Dam%:50(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg:50(23), Apc-Acc/Rchg:50(25), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(25), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx:50(27), AchHee-ResDeb%:10(27)
Level 20: Dodge -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:36(A), LucoftheG-Def:36(46), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:36(50)
Level 22: Boxing -- AbsAmz-Stun:50(A), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg:50(48), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg:50(48), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg:50(48), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun:50(50)
Level 24: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc:36(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx:36(43), UnbGrd-ResDam:36(43), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:36(45), UnbGrd-Max HP%:20(46)
Level 26: Weave -- Rct-Def:36(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx:36(29), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg:36(31), Rct-Def/Rchg:36(31), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:36(31), Rct-ResDam%:20(34)
Level 28: Quickness -- Run-I:35(A)
Level 30: Combat Jumping -- Ksm-ToHit+:10(A), GifoftheA-Run+:36(50)
Level 32: Hail of Bullets -- Arm-Dam%:50(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg:50(33), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(33), Arm-Acc/Rchg:50(33), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx:50(34), FuroftheG-ResDeb%:10(34)
Level 35: Evasion -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx:36(A), ShlWal-Def:36(37), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:36(37), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:10(39)
Level 38: Stealth -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx:36(A), ShlWal-Def:36(42), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:36(42), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg:36(43)
Level 41: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:25(A)
Level 44: Afterburner -- BlsoftheZ-Travel:50(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx:36(45), BlsoftheZ-ResKB:10(45)
Level 47: Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:25(A)
Level 49: Grant Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:25(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Opportunity
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth:50(A)
Level 2: Rest -- IntRdx-I:50(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End:10(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:30(36), Mrc-Rcvry+:20(36)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I:50(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod:50(A), PrfShf-End%:21(36), PwrTrns-+Heal:21(37)
Level 8: Chemical Ammunition
Level 8: Cryo Ammunition
Level 8: Incendiary Ammunition
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment
------------

Oldskool has several recent posts, including a couple on DP, which is where I took inspiration from for that build.

Edit:  For #3, Sentinel /Nin doesn't have any melee attacks.  That is the blaster secondary.

Edited by Caulderone

1 hour ago, Caulderone said:

I've been toying with a DP/SR build for a couple days.  I'll drop it in below for reference and maybe it will give you some ideas.

Sentinel /SR and /Nin both get an endurance ability.  SRs is passive (30% recovery + stamina's 25%) and Nin's is active (clicky that returns end).  Neither should have End issues.

DP has a lot of interchangeable powers.  I'm skipping Pistols, Bullet Rain, and Piercing Rounds.

/Nin needs everything but the last two, Blinding Powder and Retsu.  BP could be nice, but its recharge is too long to be constantly useful.

Here is that work in progress build I'm considering.

Reveal hidden contents

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Dual Pistols
Secondary Power Set: Super Reflexes
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Concealment

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dual Wield -- Thn-Acc/Dmg:36(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:36(3), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx:36(3), ExpStr-Dam%:10(5), ImpSwf-Dam%:10(5), GldJvl-Dam%:10(7)
Level 1: Focused Fighting -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx:36(A), ShlWal-Def:36(39), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:36(39), ShlWal-Def/Rchg:36(40)
Level 2: Focused Senses -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx:36(A), ShlWal-Def:36(40), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:36(40), ShlWal-Def/Rchg:36(42)
Level 4: Agile -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:36(A), LucoftheG-Def:36(46)
Level 6: Suppressive Fire -- Thn-Acc/Dmg:36(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:36(7), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:36(9), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%:20(9), NrnSht-Dam%:10(11), UnbCns-Dam%:50(11)
Level 8: Swap Ammo
Level 10: Master Brawler -- Prv-Heal:36(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx:36(13), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg:36(13), Prv-Heal/Rchg:36(15), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx:36(15), Prv-Absorb%:20(17)
Level 12: Empty Clips -- SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprOppStr-Dmg/Rchg:50(17), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(19), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(19), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(21), SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity:50(21)
Level 14: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow:10(A)
Level 16: Enduring -- PrfShf-EndMod:50(A), PrfShf-End%:21(23)
Level 18: Executioner's Shot -- Apc-Dam%:50(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg:50(23), Apc-Acc/Rchg:50(25), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(25), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx:50(27), AchHee-ResDeb%:10(27)
Level 20: Dodge -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:36(A), LucoftheG-Def:36(46), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:36(50)
Level 22: Boxing -- AbsAmz-Stun:50(A), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg:50(48), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg:50(48), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg:50(48), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun:50(50)
Level 24: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc:36(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx:36(43), UnbGrd-ResDam:36(43), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:36(45), UnbGrd-Max HP%:20(46)
Level 26: Weave -- Rct-Def:36(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx:36(29), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg:36(31), Rct-Def/Rchg:36(31), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:36(31), Rct-ResDam%:20(34)
Level 28: Quickness -- Run-I:35(A)
Level 30: Combat Jumping -- Ksm-ToHit+:10(A), GifoftheA-Run+:36(50)
Level 32: Hail of Bullets -- Arm-Dam%:50(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg:50(33), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(33), Arm-Acc/Rchg:50(33), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx:50(34), FuroftheG-ResDeb%:10(34)
Level 35: Evasion -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx:36(A), ShlWal-Def:36(37), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:36(37), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:10(39)
Level 38: Stealth -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx:36(A), ShlWal-Def:36(42), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:36(42), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg:36(43)
Level 41: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:25(A)
Level 44: Afterburner -- BlsoftheZ-Travel:50(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx:36(45), BlsoftheZ-ResKB:10(45)
Level 47: Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:25(A)
Level 49: Grant Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:25(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Opportunity
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth:50(A)
Level 2: Rest -- IntRdx-I:50(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End:10(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:30(36), Mrc-Rcvry+:20(36)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I:50(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod:50(A), PrfShf-End%:21(36), PwrTrns-+Heal:21(37)
Level 8: Chemical Ammunition
Level 8: Cryo Ammunition
Level 8: Incendiary Ammunition
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment
------------

Oldskool has several recent posts, including a couple on DP, which is where I took inspiration from for that build.

Edit:  For #3, Sentinel /Nin doesn't have any melee attacks.  That is the blaster secondary.

You're right. I'm an idiot.  Lol

6 hours ago, Caulderone said:

I'm skipping Pistols, Bullet Rain, and Piercing Rounds.

I would argue that if there's a power to skip in Dual Pistols, for reasons of redundancy, it's going to be either Pistols, Dual Wield or Executioner's Shot.  If Dual Pistols is your primary, dropping Dual Wield so as to use Pistols and Executioner's Shot makes a lot of sense.

I personally recommend keeping Bullet Rain for Target AoE Force Feedback procs ... as well as keeping Piercing Rounds (enhanced for Range!) as not only a "snipe" substitute power but also for the -Resistance debuffing the power provides when using Standard Ammo (not Cryo, Incendiary or Chemical).

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

8 hours ago, 11Troy11 said:

I still have a lot of questions though:

1. I know some don't like the mechanics of DP. Is that more of a stylistic issue, or does it affect gameplay? Does it have any advantage(s) over beam rifle?

3. Are the melee attacks in Nin worth taking?

Thanks all

1) Swap Ammo being the mechanic in question.  Skip it to your build's detriment if you care at all about doing more damage with it.  Standard Ammo offers several debuff and control effect options in all the powers.  All damage is considered lethal.  Swap Ammo converts a portion of base damage into something else, based on the ammo used, and changes the original debuff/control effects into new debuff/control effects.  The exception is Incendiary Ammo which just replaces effects with more damage.  

The advantage over Beam Rifle is modular game play.  You can partially include cold, toxic, or fire damage.  Any other set is stuck with what they get until you start working IOs in for proc damage (Which DP can do too).  Dual Pistol's other secret weapon, for Sentinels especially, is fast animating attacks.  Beam Rifle's strongest attacks are almost all 2+ second animations.  Dual Pistol's strongest single target sequence doesn't have an attack with longer than 1.848 seconds.  Both of DP's largest coverage AoE's are also 1.848 seconds.  I promise you that you could skip Piercing Rounds in a single-target attack chain on Sentinels and speed up the entire attack routine without it.  You can do that on other ATs too, but Sentinel's version of Suppressive Fire helps a lot.  

Beam Rifle's advantage is that Piercing Beam has the same debuff as Standard Ammo Piercing Rounds.  Beam Rifle retains that -9.6 resistance debuff all the time with no loss of damage for swapping ammo type.  Dual Pistols needs to make a choice to give up personal damage with Incendiary Ammo or use the resistance debuff for team damage.

2) What to skip isn't as simple as it sounds.  It depends greatly on what you intend to do with your build.  Still, here are a few best practices: 

- Pistols can end up being the better of the two initial choices.    

- Piercing Rounds is entirely optional.  

That's it.  This means you could skip Dual Wield and Piercing Rounds if you wanted.  Note that everything in Dual Pistols can have a use, and this is even more so with Sentinels due to current Opportunity mechanics.  I'd recommend you pick up all the attacks in the set as you level and see what you like vs what you don't.  The sticky at the top of this thread, page 3, has my synopsis of the set.  I've revised it numerous times as I always find something new with it.  I go into a lot of depth there about the decision making process regarding what to skip or not.  

Blinding Powder can be useful in some situations but really doesn't hit its stride until you slot it with Coercive Persuasion (purple confuse set).  Retsu is a source of Defense Debuff Resistance that Ninjutsu is awfully weak against.  Retsu has a crash and could be potentially replaced by Ageless Radial.  You could pass on both in a complete build, but they do have uses that may not be that obvious.

3) Not really.  Tashibishi can be a great addition.  Sting of the Wasp is one of the worst single-target attacks in the higher level pools that the Sentinel gets.  The Lotus Drops can be interesting with creative slotting options but it isn't so impressive its a must have.  The other powers in Ninja Tools are also fairly mediocre but potentially fun.  

4) Ooooh, that's a tough call.  My first Sentinel was DP/Nin, but I've moved to DP/SR.  I happen to like SR more, but the two sets are very close.  It boiled down to some nitpicks I was having with Ninjutsu when paired with Dual Pistols.  My final build on DP/Nin got to a point where I wasn't clicking for endurance and barely ever clicked for health.  My passive endurance gain out paces my Single Target drain, and while the AoE drain is higher its not enough to really need that tool.  Now, if you get zapped by a Malta Sapper a snap shot of endurance in a power is great.  So its not useless, but I ended up building the function of those click powers out of my normal use.  I wouldn't ever skip them, but I decided to play /SR because it is a lot more passive.  There is little interruption with SR.  

Ninjutsu/Super Reflexes pro/cons (I write about this in the sticky too): 

- Nin gets AoE defense before level 35.  SR needs to wait until 35 for Evasion.  This makes powers like Weave/Maneuvers/Combat Jumping a bit higher in priority for an /SR build earlier.  Nin has it a bit easier there.  

- Nin's Shinobi-Iri is effectively a travel power built into a secondary.  You could also run a travel power, but it isn't critical to do so.  The stealth in the power and a +Stealth IO makes traveling in zones as safe as it gets.  Dark Armor can the same thing, fyi.  The stealth component makes getting into range for Hail of Bullets far safer and Hail of Bullets will grant you boosted defense for a short duration.  Lots of synergy there.  I run a Stealth IO with /SR but its not the same without dipping into the Concealment powers which I won't do.  

- Super Reflexes looks like its a lot of powers, and it sort of is.  Both sets can potentially skip their respective T9 powers.  However, SR can be a lot lighter on slots.  It doesn't take that much to enhance SR and make it good. 

- Nin gets a click heal and click endurance heal.  These can be fantastic while leveling.  They can be fantastic with certain primaries.  Dual Pistols can end up being fairly cheap to run and Defensive Opportunity can plug the endurance issue while doing damage for the animation.  The click end power doesn't do any damage at all.  This is very much both a build issue, and me trying to figure out how to maximize damage.  It is entirely possible neither would apply to you.  SR on the other hand can get a click absorb that can become incredibly strong and passive endurance management.  My end management on my DP/SR is high enough that I never worry about it.  Only end sapping enemies can be a concern and they aren't that much of a concern.  

- SR has stronger defense debuff resistance built in.  Nin needs to complete that with the T9.  Neither completely ignore defense debuffs so this point could be totally moot depending on your build.  

- SR's overall defense numbers are slightly higher than Ninjutsu's.  This may not seem like much, but I find this can be a difference between one build soft-capping a lot easier than the other.  Make no mistake, both can soft-cap.  One is just easier to do than the other and SR can do it with fewer slots.  

- Ninjutsu gets psionic resistance in its Mez click.  That power can stack.  Baseline its 21% resistance.  You've asked about plugging Psi resistance with Invul before.  If that damage type is a worry, then Ninjutsu has an answer to it where SR doesn't.  Plus the click "oh shit" heal on top of it.  Nin's Mezz resistance is also one of the most comprehensive protections out of the entire AT.  

- Super Reflexes has scaling resistance where Ninjutsu does not.  However, Ninjutsu can build for more up front resistance at the start of taking on damage.  

There may be others I am not thinking off at the moment, but you hopefully get the point. 

I really don't see how there can be a hardline argument between Ninjutsu and Super Reflexes made in good faith.  The decision between the two boils down to understanding their strengths and weaknesses beyond just +defense.  Both sets handle other topics like healing/endurance/resistance/mezz protect in different ways.  There are good reasons to take one over the other.  Its a really tough call.  I've grown to like SR more, but Nin is also a great set.

• Like 1

BR and DP are the two sets where arguably the Sentinel version is MUCH more powerful than the blaster version (arguably in DP's case... Beam Rifle, on the other hand, loses half it's aoe and is horribly worse on blasters)
Archery is great on sentinels, but you miss the range advantages that devices and Trick Arrow users get on blasters.

Ar is slightly worse off damage, but it has a ton of aoe and works extremely well for a purely ranged build. All of it's cones work really well for hoversentinels AND ground-bound except it's T9. but the cone disparity for FA is well known and worked around by AR users. While it loses it's burn patch, incinerate does some truly disgusting single target damage to make up for it... and the sentinel version of AR provides the full single-target attack chain and damage versatility that Blaster AR sort of lacks, especially since bean bag has been replaced by a very nice ST attack with a similar stun component.

The only set I would recommend against for a natural ground-bound type though, is archery... because it magnifies some of Sentinel's problems as a pure lethal set, and doesn't offer much in the way of tools to help mitigate at a distance without delving into Procs. It also offers a lot less slotting options to crank your DPS than the others, since most of it's attacks offer primary IO slotting only (aoe, range). DP and AR both offer multiple sets and ways to crank your mitigation up through aoe KD, stun, slows, etc.   Not so important for a hoversentinel, potentially critical for someone that can get hit by melee.

As Oldskool mentioned, Tashibishi is a really amazing tool for a ground-based sentinel... but the pool's other stuff is lackluster to make up for it. Still, it will keep stuff away from you while you rack up your kill count, and if you want to do archery, it's almost mandatory. there IS a lot to be said for a thematic archery/ninjitsu/ninja tools natural though... and a lot of it has to do with a Tier 9 that recharges in about 15 seconds 🙂

Edited by Frostweaver

2 hours ago, Frostweaver said:

archery/ninjitsu/ninja tools natural though... and a lot of it has to do with a Tier 9 that recharges in about 15 seconds 🙂

Sentinel Rain of Arrows and Full Auto both recharge in 90 seconds vs the 60s found else where.  So its not quite as good in that regard.  😔 

I've grown to really enjoy AR on a Sentinel.  Its been a labor of love to try to find a way to use it to my liking.  It can certainly be a fun set to play.  Sentinel FA does have a very wide cone arc though.  Its really surprising to create tashibishi scatter fields and still hit max targets despite their running wildly.  With the Opportunity Strikes set in FA + Flamethrower it is trivial to completely fill the opportunity bar in two powers.  Its one of those sets where you can chain cast Opportunity back to back.  

I agree with the opinion on Beam and Sentinels.  Its a great set for the AT and maybe a little lack luster for some other ATs.  Dual Pistols is easily my favorite support ranged set for Defenders or even Corruptors.  They can make use of every ammo type if you want.  Sentinels are good runner up for DP to completely focus on a ranged build with pistolas firing in the air.  DP can be good with certain Blaster builds, but I have yet to find a full ranged combo I like.  Instead, I wind up pruning some pistol attacks and substituting in melee hits.  Its a formidable blapper set in that regard.