Does Phalanx Fighting give some defense solo?

Sailboat

Phalanx Fighting gives 5% (unenhanceable) defense to M/R/A.

It then gives 3% (enhanceable) per teammate (max 3) within 8' of you.

Generally, only count on the 5% and use the 1 slot as a mule (LotG, Kismet, Shield Wall, Reactive Def).

• Thanks 1

It's Grant Cover that grants no benefit to the shield tanker.  Phalanx Fighting gives a bit of defense to you and any allies who are very close.

Edited by Heraclea
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Grant cover doesn't benefit defense directly but its defense debuff and recharge debuff resistance does apply to the user. Huge mistake to skip it even on solo toons. As Caulderone said PF is a great one slot wonder.

• Like 1

Thanks for your patience...stupidly I now see the question was recently discussed but I missed it.  To justify the thread, I am struggling with slotting for a level 41 Shield/Axe Tanker, which is kind of silly because when he's 50 I can slot Tanker and Winter sets that will easily solve a lot of problems. But I'm in no hurry to hit 50 and I like to exemplar down a lot and want him to be viable at lower levels as much as possible.  Fitting in everything I want is difficult (as it should be, if game design is good).  To date I have skipped Phalanx Fighting as you can guess...also Build Up, which i do want but have had trouble fitting in. 

I can get very close to what I want (for soloing anyway) by skipping Taunt until very late in the build, but I feel that in practice Taunt is invaluable for teaming.  In my indecision, I was looking at, of all things to postpone until 41+, maybe True Grit?  How critical is True Grit, assuming I can get very-high-to-soft-capped defense early on?

7 hours ago, Heraclea said:

It's Grant Cover that grants no benefit to the shield tanker.  Phalanx Fighting gives a bit of defense to you and any allies who are very close.

Grant cover gives you more defense debuff resist and slow resist. Both of which are vital, especially on a Scrapper, Brute and Stalker.

19 minutes ago, Sailboat said:

Thanks for your patience...stupidly I now see the question was recently discussed but I missed it.  To justify the thread, I am struggling with slotting for a level 41 Shield/Axe Tanker, which is kind of silly because when he's 50 I can slot Tanker and Winter sets that will easily solve a lot of problems. But I'm in no hurry to hit 50 and I like to exemplar down a lot and want him to be viable at lower levels as much as possible.  Fitting in everything I want is difficult (as it should be, if game design is good).  To date I have skipped Phalanx Fighting as you can guess...also Build Up, which i do want but have had trouble fitting in. 

I can get very close to what I want (for soloing anyway) by skipping Taunt until very late in the build, but I feel that in practice Taunt is invaluable for teaming.  In my indecision, I was looking at, of all things to postpone until 41+, maybe True Grit?  How critical is True Grit, assuming I can get very-high-to-soft-capped defense early on?

Take every Shield Power as it is available. Certain exceptions being Grant Cover and One With the Shield, those you could take late. You’ll be able to make the most sacrifices with your primary. Speed, Fighting and Leaping are power pools that will help you out tremendously. True Grit is great, gives you 20% HP when fully enhanced and gives you good resists to elemental damage. 

edit: You don’t ‘need’ Taunt, but being able to grab aggro from range is a tool I’d recommend not giving up. 

Edited by Camel