Dark/Sonic-Have I made a huge mistake?

gourdhead

I've made a huge mistake" gifs - Album on Imgur                                                                                                                                                                                      I I tend to build characters based around concept, not efficiency.  So, when a friend of mine told me about the French metal band 'Deathspell Omega", I immediately though "well, that needs to be a CoH villain :).  And the obvious character is a Dark/Sonic corrupter.  Ran her up to 22, then parked her a couple of months ago.  Coming back, and thinking about taking her to 50 redside, and I start doing a little research.  Does no one play this combo?  Is it really THAT gimped? 

Edited by gourdhead

28 minutes ago, Darkir said:

Roll a defender villain as a dark/sonic and proceed. Everything about that combo is better as a defender. You will have a much better time.

I second that. Specifically because of /Sonic on Defenders. The Defender would be better in every way. If you were using a different blast set like say... Fire, or Ice, I would say Corruptor all day.

Edited by Camel

Yeah, I hate to agree, but Sonic/dark, while amazing on teams, is not that strong a soloist... Making it a dark/sonic defender, well, defenders just get better numbers on all the buff/debuffs, and even the damage winds up being roughly the same because of defender's better -resists. And for some weird reason, Defenders get better 'controllery' stuff from Dark... no idea why.

Make it a 'Dark Defender' like Dexter Morgan 🙂

I haven't played him in ages, but I have a Sonic/dark defender. Between the resist buffs from Sonic and the to-hit debuffs from dark, you turn your team into gods.  Then to to it if (later game) you get a self heal to help with your own survivability.  The only major drawback is that it really depends on a team to shine.  The defender will get better resist and -to-hit numbers, but I say if you enjoy the corrupter then play it

What this team needs is more Defenders

If the goal is to solo than Dark/Sonic probably isn't the best. Since you're pairing two sets with strong team support buffs/debuffs. Dark Blast does a lot of -to hit (and pays for that with less damage), while Sonic offers excellent damage resistance buffs (and some control). As a Defender or a Corruptor it's a rare combo, that seems like it would actually very a good team build. Damage resistance buffs aren't all that common, and the -to hit plays with with any bubbler. But solo, I could see it being a bit rough.  I'm wondering if your concept would work better as a Fire/Dark or Sonic/Dark corrupter instead. 

a thing to remembver, and the thing that makes the combo amazing for a team though, is that AV's debuff resistance is often based directly on it's damage resistance. drop it's DR and stuff like -defense, -to-hit, and -recharge suddenly work a lot better.