CoX making my machine run hot

Bardweiser

Laptop (MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE) specs:

CPU: i7 8705H (Coffee Lake)

RAM: 16GB (DDR4 2667)

Video: GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB VRAM)

I can run DCUO (DC Universe Online) or ESO (Elder Scrolls Online) with no heating issues.  However if I run CoH, even with graphics set to mid-range I see my temps jump higher than those other games.  Running just Windows on a cooling pad I see temps ranging from 36-41.  Running CoH I see 66-70.

Anyone have any idea what could be going on?

Despite being old COH makes the GPU work - Hard if the settings are maxed out.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

That's not a unreasonable temperature for that GPU. It's rated around 90' and it'll protect itself against overheating anyway so unless you're worried about your room warming up, I wouldn't be too concerned. CoX has a lot of flashy graphics with little optimisation (it's an old game remember), it does tend to drive graphics cards quite hard.

Running just Windows on a cooling pad I see temps ranging from 36-41.  Running CoH I see 66-70.

Anyone have any idea what could be going on?

I do... what you're observing are perfectly normal idle and load temperatures. If your system went close to 90 under load, then you'd have cause for concern.

I have temp widgets on my devices (because I've fried mGPUs with CoX in the past!) and on rare occasion I'll get a warning ingame on my desktop. So long as you're not maintaining 80-90c for long periods of time, then you'll be "ok", but I'd look into tweaking your cooling system to active if possible while gaming. Also, your ambient temp plays into this a ton as a fan can only push/pull out hot air. It can't create cold air like from an AC.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Thanks for all the replies.  Looking back I realized I should have mentioned I also have my internal fan blowing on high to reach those temps.

I've dropped my graphics settings down to the minimum and saw some small improvement (average around 60).

Thanks for all the replies.  Looking back I realized I should have mentioned I also have my internal fan blowing on high to reach those temps.

I've dropped my graphics settings down to the minimum and saw some small improvement (average around 60).

Yeah, laptops also tend to be much warmer due to lack of airflow. I'd also make sure your cooling pad is Pulling air from the same place that the laptop is pushing air out of. IE: Make sure you're evacuating that heat not recycling it. I have to cool my room to roughly 73-75F in order to make sure I'm at a reasonable temp. Sadly, IDK what my GPU temps are at the time because I'd have to walk across the room. :p

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

That's not a unreasonable temperature for that GPU. It's rated around 90' and it'll protect itself against overheating anyway so unless you're worried about your room warming up, I wouldn't be too concerned. CoX has a lot of flashy graphics with little optimisation (it's an old game remember), it does tend to drive graphics cards quite hard.

This.

If it's working within the rated temperature. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

For reference:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134899/intel-core-i7-8850h-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html

I'm out.