A question about Tornado

mbre2006

So I'm looking at mids and seeing tornado doing a total base damage of 387 smashing damage. I'm guessing assuming it stays on target as I remember that power acting like a pet and jumping around to different enemies. But I'm looking at Lightning storm and it only has a base damage of 38.  I can only assume to that per sec. So forgive my ignorance can anyone help me understand these numbers a bit better? If tornado has that as a base damage i'm thinking for procing it and saving some slots. Same with Lightning storm.

Tornado doesn't do all that well with standard damage procs because it's a small radius AE power. This penalizes the proc rate but normally doesn't yield much in the way of extra targets due to the nature of the Tornado tending to chase enemies around.

Lightning Storm fires 10 (I believe) Lightning Bolts that will proc at the expected rate (equal to ppm because you're not getting any special advantages or penalties). Since you can have multiple layered Lightning Storms at sufficient recharge, this isn't a bad use for procs. However, you run into the problem of slotting. You want Force Feedback. You want damage up to ED cap. You want significant amounts of recharge. That only leaves you a slot or two, which are often more usefully managed to provide endurance management given the fact that much of the time you're really just using it as a glorified recharge boost than a significant source of damage.

2 hours ago, mbre2006 said:

So I'm looking at mids and seeing tornado doing a total base damage of 387 smashing damage.

Tornado does that damage on paper but in reality you will rarely if ever hit that unless you are fighting an AV type enemy that the Tornado can stay on the whole time.
Sure it LOOKS like it does a monster 387 smash damage, but in reality it's split into 67 ticks over 45 seconds and the tornado moves all over the place.
I made my /Storm character a Controller to lock enemies as much as possible in one place to try and get my Tornadoes to stay there as much as possible

Edited by Seigmoraig

4 hours ago, mbre2006 said:

Ok cool so tornado is going to work exactly as I thought so in that case I'll just put a kd proc in it and a +5 recharge. That will save some slots later.

They’re talking specific iOS- knock back to knockdown and chance to proc +recharge 

Immob a group of mobs on top of each other and tornado does awesome damage, AV fights it is good too.

Dont forgot it also debuffs and CC's.

It is a very strong power -- the damage just tends to be spread out. It is also fairly easy to get the recharge to the perma state where you can recast before it expires.

I have the Achilles proc in it with my Fire/Storm Controller.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

Tornado is one of the best powers for a Storm, and I think it should always be 6-slotted, for a few reasons:

1) great damage for a very fast animation time. Even if it loses some to moving around it's still worth the animation time.

2) great control on Bosses. Once the minions are out of the way it has fewer targets, and it will put a Mag 2 Stun on a Boss a decent amount of the time, which stacks with Thunderclap, and will juggles a Boss around pretty well. Excellent defensive use.

3) Force Feedback proc in it is too good to pass up.

4) Even if damage from it doesn't seem relevant, it takes -Res IOs, and since you can have 2 up at once, that makes up for the fact that the chance to proc every 10 seconds isn't great. You can get a decent -Res out of them (I think a single Tornado averages -6% debuff over its span, so two would probably average about 9-10%).