Mind help/advice

graeberguinn

Been looking at Doms for a while now. After reading the "playing Doms wrong" post I think I'm finally beginning to understand the AT. 

So that being said I've decided on Mind primary. But I'm stuck on secondary choice. Thoughts were Dark/soul, elec/mu, or energy/?. I've looked at other posts and have leaning towards dark or energy bc of power up and the +special. But electric seems like fun also. Either

one of these 3 secondaries can fit a theme I have. 

Can anyone who has played these secondaries give me some insight as to how they play. The good/bad etc. I know any of them can work and be good. They all seem to synergize with mind and have a mix of melee range attacks.

Would like to hear any thoughts to help me decide. And if anyone has a build they can share would be great. 

Edited by graeberguinn

If you're not wedded to the idea that you have to play a Dominator, you might want to give Mind/Poison Controller a look, since the debuffing of Poison will overcome the damage limitations of Mind Control quite nicely.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Energy is generally great, and the +Recharge that you get from being able to slot FF procs into its attacks help you cycle Total Domination / Mass Confuse faster.

It does have a few issues with Mind:

1) Mind is all ranged and uses a cone, so... it wants to stay all at range. Energy's only AoE is melee range.

2) Energy's AoE puts out a weak Stun, which would do better if paired with a primary that also has a Stun effect.

Overall, I like the pairing, but I'm not sure that it fits better than Mind/Fire or Mind/Dark, both of which are more suited to an all-ranged style, which would play to Mind's ranged strength. Fire is higher damage, while Dark is higher durability.

Energy is fantastic!  The damage is tops I'd argue thanks to the Energy Release mechanic. 

Take Coyote's suggestion with a grain of salt, there's no one way to play Mind control.  Yes you can stay far back and launch your AoE controls OR as you're landing into the middle of the mob they get controlled all the same.  The stun being spoken of from what I'm assuming is Whirling Hands is absolutely meaningless.  If you're relying on a stun from a secondary to control a group when you have Total Domination, Mass Confusion, Terrify and even Mass Hypnosis, well you're playing the character from a very limited view.  If you can handle the fact that you might not stun anyone with Whirling Hands you'll realize that doesn't matter since they'll all just about be dead anyways since this power has the best AoE damage a dom can get.  Paired with an epic like Soul Mastery for Soul Drain this secondary is just an animal.  

I've had just about every iteration of Mind dom so I'll give you my thoughts.  With the revamp I haven't played some since I instantly fell in love with Energy all over.  

Elec - Pass, damage is lacking, animations are long and that sentinel is meh

Rad - The contamination mechanic is clunky if you're relying on it to heal you can't, damage is okay

Fire - Usually the bread and butter for doms that want to do lots of damage and still nearly the top, ranged playstyle

Dark - Damage is meh, the ranged heal is nice although the animation should be shorter, you'll be playing this to get the most out of that heal

Psi - okay damage since it's psi, good aoe, Drain Psyche is the draw for this one since it boosts your regen/recovery

Nrg - ST damage is nasty and Whirling Hands is the best damage AoE you'll get

These I've not played most have had the revamp: 

Earth - Hear good things, a giant mallet is not my flavor

Ice - No snipe?  I'm out

Martial - Don't know much

Thorns - Don't like quills, seems to be similar to ice except its toxic damage

Hope this helps!

Edited by Mezmera