Isn't Regen supposed to....heal?

JnEricsonx

Maybe I'm missing something, but with my 45 BR/Regen, with Fast Healing/Integration slotted up, and a Numina in Health, my regen is just over 2%/35 HP a second.   I would think that something like that would be a bit higher? Like, 3, 4%, maybe 5%?  I mean, barring popping Reconstruction, that's it for it's healing?  I mean, my WP brute regens only slightly slower, not even counting when he's got enemies nearby.

Worth considering you also get absorption through Instant Regeneration. I don't recall the exact numbers off the top of my head, but it adds up to significant "hp/s".

Second Wind is also a heal, even though it is pretty awful as such.

Actual "regen" is kinda the opposite of Damage Over Time.
You get a small, steady pulse of HP back every second.

Is it enough to counter someone taking huge chunks outta you?
NOPE!
But if you can mitigate damage taken, it's enough to keep you upright with a bit of management.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Either you didn't take instant regeneration, the absorption toggle, or you are not paying attention to it. On my elec/regen I have 475 points of absorb which replenishes very quickly. I don't know the exact rate though. Even combat log doesn't tell me anything, but it's quick enough that (with my ~56% l/s resistance) four knives of artemis minions beating on me at even level couldn't get past it and do any actual health damage.

With just SO's and 3 slots in Fast Healing, Integration, and Health you'd be looking at just over 2% health returned.  The actual values of Fast Healing and Integration haven't been changed a whole lot (thankfully).  The biggest limiting factor for Sentinel regeneration rates is going to be the lower hit point cap.  This is very likely a reason why Instant Regeneration is an absorb shield since it circumvents that whole issue by making a separate repair check.  

At max health, which is just over 2,000 on Sentinels, that 2.44% regeneration will grant around 50 hp per second.  Backing up those powers with HP set bonuses will push the hp per second into the mid 50s.  Going for more regeneration bonuses on top of that can very well get you closer to 3% which would be around low to mid 60's if you really crank that up.  It doesn't get a whole lot better than that, but Instant Regeneration will always add to that total.  So it does become more substantial but the Combat window likely won't reflect this.  

Stack HP as high as you can without going over, and then consider the following resolutions: 

1) Recharge.  Recharge helps Reconstruction and Second Wind cool downs.  This makes the set more reactive in play, but it always was.  

2) Stack additional mitigation.  Try to raise Smashing/Lethal resistance some since it is very common and also try to improve the defenses as best you can.  That will allow the regeneration rate to work a bit better by expanding your effective hit points.  Its difficult to cap either of these since Regeneration values there start low, but some is better than none. 

3) A mixed approach.  This may be more likely when you start dabbling in purple sets since they come with very large bonuses to health, regeneration or recovery, and recharge.  You can fill in the other mitigation gaps with other strong sets.  

Oddly, I find Sentinel Regeneration to a much better version than Willpower is on the AT.  I don't really feel that way in the melee sets.  

Edited by oldskool

The absorption shield is actually quite a bit of regen, and honestly it's an elegant solution to make the set work more like the old pre-nerf regen than any other version of regen in the game. It just has a cap on it because the amount of absorption is limited. This was (IMO) a brilliant way to give back regen the old feel of shrugging off a certain amount of abuse, without it being so over the top as toggle instant heal used to be.

It's well known that a saturated WP brute or tank are what demonstrates real regeneration as opposed to the sets of that name. Sentinels come the closest of all the sets. Regeneration for the melee bros is all about click heals, and the very temporary boost of instant heal.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later

I have a BR/Regen that's in the mid-30's at this point.  I've been very impressed with the overall survivability of the build.  Even just three-slotted with SOs in Fast Healing, Instant Regen, and Integration, I typically don't see my health meter dip significantly in the middle of a heavy 4X8 battle with minions, LTs, and even AVs.  The surprising thing for me has been how easy Regen has been on Endurance.  That gives me a lot more offensive flexibility that I don't normally get with other ATs and builds.  Also, I haven't had to manage an inspiration tray of blues to keep me relevant before END can be mitigated through IOs, ATOs, or Incarnate fixes.  I can say Regen is robust enough that I don't feel the need to take that constant peek at my health bar when I'm in the middle of a fight.  I also don't need to hang back out of melee range to do work.  That's a comfort.  

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 5:51 PM, JnEricsonx said:

I just kinda figured that the regen amount would just be higher is all.  I mean, for crying out loud, my WP Brute gets about that regen and a bit more with some bad guys by him, not counting his actualy defenses.

Post your build.

• Like 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

While regen is pretty different on sentinels than it is in other classes, it's worth noting that on the melees, the "regen" set is more focused on clicky heals than on passive regeneration.  WP is the premier set for passive regeneration (the combat stat).

This is obviously confusing, terminology-wise, but there it is.