What Would You Change About Dominators?

oedipus_tex

Just now, Mezmera said:

It's not Ice's fault you're not capping your defenses and resists.  That'd be dependent on the secondary taken, shields overlooked and bonuses missed.  

Well, you don't need just defense and resists. You need mezz protection or its lights out. Also likely some kind of healing, and of course damage. You can get mezz protection from permadom or other sources, but it needs to be planned for.

Overall I think Ice is the hardest set to build for. It's very needy and doesn't do you a lot of favors. Even Ice Slick can't be slotted with a +100% Recharge IO like Bonfire or Earthquake. 

Worst part of it is, once you've done all that to make yourself able to withstand the pressure with Arctic Air, you're not significantly better off than if you had rolled a set other than Ice. You've just managed to cover Arctic Air's holes to make it functional.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

Well, you don't need just defense and resists. You need mezz protection or its lights out. Also likely some kind of healing, and of course damage. You can get mezz protection from permadom or other sources, but it needs to be planned for.

Overall I think Ice is the hardest set to build for. It's very needy and doesn't do you a lot of favors. Even Ice Slick can't be slotted with a +100% Recharge IO like Bonfire or Earthquake. 

Worst part of it is, once you've done all that to make yourself able to withstand the pressure with Arctic Air, you're not significantly better off than if you had rolled a set other than Ice. You've just managed to cover Arctic Air's holes to make it functional.

This whole time I've been in agreement that Ice as a whole is an under performing set compared to just about every Dominator primary.  The saving grace IS Arctic Air.  I'd be all for buffing Jack, tweaking the cone slow and maybe adding a mechanic unique to Ice Control to give it some more appeal.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

This whole time I've been in agreement that Ice as a whole is an under performing set compared to just about every Dominator primary.  The saving grace IS Arctic Air.  I'd be all for buffing Jack, tweaking the cone slow and maybe adding a mechanic unique to Ice Control to give it some more appeal.  

I hear you. I respect that you have a different opinion, so thanks for discussing.

Now, I'd argue that with Arctic Air, we have a pretty good idea how it will perform if buffed because Controllers get Choking Cloud and Entangling Aura. They also generally have access to better heals and self defense than Dominators. On Controllers I'd still rate Arctic Air "okay, not amazing." Don't get me wrong. It's fun and different, and I agree its the signature power in the set. It's just not significantly powerful, and it takes a lot of work even to get it to where its usable.

Running Arctic Air versus Arachnos, Malta, Knives of Vengeance, IDF, Resistance, etc is a lesson in how difficult it is to survive standing within 25 feet of an enemy with only a toggle power and an ice slick to protect you.

Edited by oedipus_tex

3 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

I hear you. I respect that you have a different opinion, so thanks for discussing.

Now, I'd argue that with Arctic Air, we have a pretty good idea how it will perform if buffed because Controllers get Choking Cloud and Entangling Aura. They also generally have access to better heals and self defense than Dominators. On Controllers I'd still rate Arctic Air "okay, not amazing." Don't get me wrong. It's fun and different, and I agree its the signature power in the set. It's just not significantly powerful, and it takes a lot of work even to get it to where its usable.

Again you are really comparing Dominators solely against Controllers and that is the wrong AT.  The comparable AT for Dominators is/should be Blasters.  Somehow you didn't get that point in one of my previous posts.  

And it seems to me that you want your cake and to eat it too, and get seconds and thirds everyday without getting fat.  You want Mag 6 auto-hit AA with debuffs/buffs, with a toggle mez protection, and apparently heals and more defense so you can enter melee range safely, domination on ice slick, a jacked Jack, maor, maor and so on.  It seems a little out of touch to be honest.  

And btw AA only takes one click to get it to be usable with the added stealth, the -spd and rech, and the bonus icing-on-the-cake, the auto-hit confuse.  

3 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Running Arctic Air versus Arachnos, Malta, Knives of Vengeance, IDF, Resistance, etc is a lesson in how difficult it is to survive standing within 25 feet of an enemy with only a toggle power and an ice slick to protect you.

I don't understand.  Would you post you Ice Control build?

6 hours ago, Luminara said:

The secondaries are also too spread between melee and ranged.  I understand that they enable different approaches, but the existing mixed design does more to restrict than enable.  Trying to build toward one goal or the other, melee or ranged combat, effectively cuts your leveling pay-off in half, as you're only acquiring "useful" attacks half as frequently as other archetypes.  And while the option to use ranged attacks in melee always exists, it doesn't work the other way around, so building for ranged combat always feels self-defeating.  Given that the primaries are almost exclusively composed of ranged powers, there should be more synergy for ranged combat, but it just works out to feeling like a gimped controller.  This leaves the choice of playing with melee attacks and mixing in ranged attacks when or where possible (rarely possible with a 40' range cone with a narrow arc, for example), but that involves stopping frequently to use location AoE controls and ranged attacks, and that's especially important when we're discussing controls, because that's the dominator's Resistance and Defense.  That's what they have to stay alive.  It's too hodge-podge, too unfocused.

Dominators are not all that different from blasters.  Think of it this way... Dominators just put the Blast and Melee powers in one set (instead of two like Blasters) and Domintors take control powers and build up a primary set for them, whereas blasters have control powers spread between their primaries and secondaries.

And just like blasters, typically you have to pick powersets that agree with your desired playstyle.  For instance if you wanted to build a Blapper you probably won't take sets like Beam Rifle, or Tactical Arrow.  And if you wanted to build a range-only blaster you probably won't pick sets like  Dual Pistols, Dark Manip., Atomic, Martial,  Ice Manip., etc.

Similarly, for Doms there are sets good for range attacks and there are sets for melee.  It's not all that different.

7 hours ago, Luminara said:

Yes, I do know there are binds to fire location powers on oneself, at a set range, on a selected target, etc.  No archetype should have to depend on binds just to be playable out of the box.  We shouldn't have to work around design flaws and oversights just to make a character playable.  Things like this should be baked into the powers, not an obscure bind command that isn't documented anywhere outside of a couple of forum posts.

It really isn't that hard to aim a Location AoE.

They may have primaries and secondaries which are thematically alike, but they're not actually complementary of one another in play style.  There's no real synergy between dominator primaries and secondaries. 

Control primaries set 'em up, and Assault secondaries knock 'em down.  they synergize quite well.  Don't controllers and blasters team well together?  well that's a Dom.

I'm very, very good with numbers and mechanics, and using what I know to make "impossible" characters work well. 

If that's true then how can you not build a good Dom?  Apparently a good Dom build really is impossible.

play a petless mastermind to 50

enjoy!  but I doubt that it will be "rapidly and with great ease. "

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FUBARczar said:

And it seems to me that you want your cake and to eat it too, and get seconds and thirds everyday without getting fat.  You want Mag 6 auto-hit AA with debuffs/buffs, with a toggle mez protection, and apparently heals and more defense so you can enter melee range safely, domination on ice slick, a jacked Jack, maor, maor and so on.  It seems a little out of touch to be honest.  

Before you post again about me or someone else being out of touch you could try using the power. Thanks. I want to give everyone's opinion respect but that's hard when you are coming into the discussion so loudly about a power you don't have any experience with.

Edited by oedipus_tex

I actually got curious about how many Ice Control characters I have on Homecoming so I went and looked. Obviously this doesn't give my opinion more weight. But it's a set I and many other players are very familiar with, and as much as I want to have a community discussion, I feel like "having played the set" is a pretty low expectation.

On live I also had a 50 Ice/Fire Dom, a 50 Ice/Energy (outdated now due to Energy changes), a 50 Ice/Thermal Controller, and a 50 Ice/Rad Controller.

The set is different, kinda fun... but, frankly, weaker than most other control sets. 

Character names are wonky because I tend to play for a while, get bored, and swap the same character name to anew archetype and powersets.

image.thumb.png.ca1f3cdfe778e49b6d6cad346729718a.png

Edited by oedipus_tex

2 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Before you post again about me or someone else being out of touch you could try using the power. Thanks. I want to give everyone's opinion respect but that's hard when you are coming into the discussion so loudly about a power you don't have any experience with.

It's not about one power, it's about the whole set of sweeping ideas as a whole.  It seems like you want one of the fabled tank-mages or something.  If you got everything that you are asking for, it seems OP.

edit

And I am pretty sure I have a feel for AA w/o ever playing it.  It's not that different from World of Confusion, only amplified with higher mag, duration, radius and swap minor damage for defuffs which I have also experienced  with other powers

Edited by FUBARczar

11 minutes ago, FUBARczar said:

It's not about one power, it's about the whole set of sweeping ideas as a whole.  It seems like you want one of the fabled tank-mages or something.  If you got everything that you are asking for, it seems OP.

That's a fine criticism.

I disagree that what I've suggested approaches "tank mage" though. Mostly what I've suggested is more equity between the powersets. I see from your other posts you've played Mind Control, so your baseline assumption may be that all sets play like that. I'm here to tell you they do not. In the case of Ice and Electric Control,  the only AoE hard control that Dominates is the 240 second recharge Hold. The reasons for this are a combo of the powers being unusual and the tech being limited at the time.

I also feel like you're conflating some of my statements about Arctic Air with a request for amazing defenses or something. I haven't rquested anything other than slightly better base defense stats, or possibly a better ATO, along with moving mezz protection out of Dominaton. Try to run Arctic Air on a build without extensive IOing and mezz protection and report back to me how that goes. You will find, like most other players, that this power requires a lot of planning and there's a lot more to it than being an "autohit confuse."  

Edited by oedipus_tex

1 hour ago, oedipus_tex said:

I disagree that what I've suggested approaches "tank mage" though. Mostly what I've suggested is more equity between the powersets. I see from your other posts you've played Mind Control, so your baseline assumption may be that all sets play like that. I'm hear to tell you they do not. In the case of Ice and Electric Control, only the only AoE hard control that Dominates is the 240 second recharge Hold. The reasons for this are a combo of the powers being unusual and the tech being limited at the time.

I don't assume they all play like mind, but sure I'll agree that Ice and Elec probably could use some love (which is also probably why I have never touched them).

I also feel like you're conflating some of my statements about Arctic Air with a request for amazing defenses or something. I haven't rquested anything other than slightly better base defense stats, or possibly a better ATO, along with moving mezz protection out of Dominaton. Try to run Arctic Air on a build without extensive IOing and mezz protection and report back to me how that goes. You will find, like most other players, that this power requires a lot of planning and there's a lot more to it than being an "autohit confuse."  

Yeah I have leveled /Mental Blasters and /Atomic so I am well aware of challenges with such powers w/o mez protection.  

Also I think mez protection has quite a nice home in domination.  It makes sense play-wise, it makes sense theme-wise, and so on.  Again if mez is your primary bane then it sounds like Psi EPP and Clarion are you best friends.  Until those levels you suffer just as much as everyone else.  

That's a fine criticism.

It really does seem like a Christmas wish list.  Sorry if that's not very constructive.

57 minutes ago, FUBARczar said:

It really does seem like a Christmas wish list.  Sorry if that's not very constructive.

The Homecoming Development team is very good. They've been revisisting lots of archetypes and powersets. It's my assumption they'll eventually get around to the control sets, and in we'll see movement in the mechanics.

Ice Control for Dominators came out nearly 15 years ago. I don't think it's been touched since. It's always lagged behind other sets. I'm eager to see what they eventually do with it.

Anyway, just because we talk about something in the thread doesn't mean we'd get all of it. The point is to discuss different ideas for changes. I doubt very much if the developers would implement all of it, although they've made some very large changes to other aspects of the game, so who knows. 

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 6:57 PM, Mezmera said:

It's not Ice's fault you're not capping your defenses and resists.  That'd be dependent on the secondary taken, shields overlooked and bonuses missed.  

Roll eyes 

anyways it’s pretty obvious the devs had an initial fear of arctic air with dom dominating, especially since for a long while ice was pretty common place due to the early power level of ice slick. Alas, the world today would be just fine if it dominated.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kiramon said:

Roll eyes 

anyways it’s pretty obvious the devs had an initial fear of arctic air with dom dominating, especially since for a long while ice was pretty common place due to the early power level of ice slick. Alas, the world today would be just fine if it dominated.

Welcome back Kira, I'm still waiting for you to come show me how to Dom.  

I think part of the reason Ice is one of the weaker sets is the developers believed -Recharge is more useful than it is in reality. For a long time Ice was the only control set with a "safety" secondary effect. We didn't get a new one until Electric Control and Dark Control, the final two sets added before shutdown.

Edited by oedipus_tex

On 9/3/2020 at 2:02 AM, oedipus_tex said:

Challenge Accepted, my Next Dom will be Ice Control.  I don't think the set looks all that weak actually.  My suggestion would be to give either Shiver or Flash Freeze DPS in the range of Terrify and Bonfire.  Oh and also do something about Jack. Jack should be at least as good as Poo.  But I'll make mine petless anyway.  

So what shall I pair Ice/ with?

11 minutes ago, FUBARczar said:

Challenge Accepted, my Next Dom will be Ice Control.  I don't think the set looks all that weak actually.  My suggestion would be to give either Shiver or Flash Freeze DPS in the range of Terrify and Bonfire.  Oh and also do something about Jack. Jack should be at least as good as Poo.  But I'll make mine petless anyway.  

Ice/Nrg/Soul.  Tons of pbaoe goodness.  Take Jack tho even for him occupying some aggro.  

Edited by Mezmera

2 hours ago, FUBARczar said:

/Psi will be the easiest go of it IMO. The healing helps cover for Ice's gaps in control and the -Recharge from Ice and Psi stack together.

/Fire isn't a terrible pairing. Maybe /Savage or /Dark could work too.

If you want to an especially poor pairing that demontrates many of the topics of this thread, go with something like Electric Assault.

I'd probably not roll a melee set. Although Arctic Air is PBAoE power, logistically you'll likely want ranged attacks so you can position the aura around all enemies. That's probably Ice's greatest vulnerability, enemies outside Arctic Air.

I'm serious about the mezz protection. You'll want it ASAP or Arctic Air is a bust. 

It's a good idea to learn the "Ice Slick around a corner" trick as well to shut down alpha return fire.

I expect what you're about to discover is that Ice Control is a great way to spend heavily on a build to become functional but still land significantly behind other sets. It has a reputation for a reason. Fun to play, but very needy.

Edited by oedipus_tex

You had asked about builds, so here's one for Ice/Psi to start you off. You'll note Ice has some issues with slotting:

• There's no good power to put the ATO +global damage power in where it will fire a lot. This hurts; with most sets you can put it in a medium recharging mezz to boost your damage. With Ice that doesn't work well. I put it in Glacier, wish I had a power like Static Field, Heart of Darkness etc with a faster recharge.
  • Ice Slick doesn't take +100% recharge proc, as noted.

I assumed the Destiny power is Barrier, which would finish capping Range. 

This build isn't terrible. However, like I mentioned, spending this kind of money on a different /Psi Dominator would likely net you a stronger character. 

Ask on the forums if you have questions/need assistance.

Spoiler

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.1.25
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Example Ice/Psi: Level 50 Magic Dominator
Primary Power Set: Ice Control
Secondary Power Set: Psionic Assault
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Ice Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Block of Ice -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(3), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(5)
Level 1: Psionic Dart -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Mind Probe -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(7), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9)
Level 4: Telekinetic Thrust -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(11), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Mk'Bit-Dam%(43)
Level 6: Arctic Air -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(13), CrcPrs-Conf%(13), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(15), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(15), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(17)
Level 8: Frostbite -- PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(45), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(46), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(46)
Level 10: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(17)
Level 12: Ice Slick -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(19), GldArm-3defTpProc(19)
Level 18: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 20: Drain Psyche -- EffAdp-Acc/Rchg(A), TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(21), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(21), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(23)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(23), Rct-ResDam%(25), Ksm-ToHit+(43)
Level 24: Cross Punch -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(25), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(27), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), Obl-%Dam(42)
Level 26: Glacier -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(29), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(31), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(45)
Level 28: Subdue -- SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(31), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(33), Apc-Dam%(42)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Jack Frost -- ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(A), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(34), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(34), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(34), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(36), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36)
Level 35: Psionic Lance -- StnoftheM-Dam%(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(37), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(37), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(37), GldJvl-Dam%(39)
Level 38: Psychic Shockwave -- Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Obl-%Dam(39), Obl-Dmg(39), Obl-Acc/Rchg(40), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40)
Level 41: Sleet -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(45)
Level 47: Ice Storm -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(48), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Hoarfrost -- DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(A), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(50), Prv-Heal/Rchg(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
------------
------------
Set Bonus Totals:

• 23% DamageBuff(Smashing)
  • 23% DamageBuff(Lethal)
  • 23% DamageBuff(Fire)
  • 23% DamageBuff(Cold)
  • 23% DamageBuff(Energy)
  • 23% DamageBuff(Negative)
  • 23% DamageBuff(Toxic)
  • 23% DamageBuff(Psionic)
  • 14.75% Defense(Smashing)
  • 14.75% Defense(Lethal)
  • 6% Defense(Fire)
  • 6% Defense(Cold)
  • 23.19% Defense(Energy)
  • 23.19% Defense(Negative)
  • 6% Defense(Psionic)
  • 16% Defense(Melee)
  • 29.13% Defense(Ranged)
  • 6% Defense(AoE)
  • 57% Enhancement(Accuracy)
  • 97.5% Enhancement(RechargeTime)
  • 4% Enhancement(Stunned)
  • 4% Enhancement(Held)
  • 4.4% Enhancement(Terrorized)
  • 8% Enhancement(Sleep)
  • 8% Enhancement(Confused)
  • 8% Enhancement(Immobilized)
  • 110.6 HP (10.88%) HitPoints
  • MezResist(Confused) 52.5%
  • MezResist(Held) 52.5%
  • MezResist(Immobilized) 52.5%
  • MezResist(Sleep) 52.5%
  • MezResist(Stunned) 52.5%
  • MezResist(Terrorized) 52.5%
  • MezResist(Teleport) 100% (20% chance)
  • 20.5% (0.34 End/sec) Recovery
  • 32% (1.36 HP/sec) Regeneration
  • 30% ResEffect(SpeedFlying)
  • 30% ResEffect(RechargeTime)
  • 30% ResEffect(SpeedRunning)
  • 26.25% Resistance(Smashing)
  • 26.25% Resistance(Lethal)
  • 38.25% Resistance(Fire)
  • 38.25% Resistance(Cold)
  • 19.5% Resistance(Energy)
  • 19.5% Resistance(Negative)
  • 19.5% Resistance(Toxic)
  • 19.5% Resistance(Psionic)

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
		|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
		|MxDz;1478;677;1354;HEX;|
		|78DA6594594F135114C7EF74A696426B5B686959CA52A485520A952D461363008D4|
		|213125E559C94B18C96B6E9D4041F7D377189C6CFE0FAA246DCBE830BEA87300A8A|
		|2F46713CCEFF401BA769F3BBF77F967BCF99D3C9AECD781E9DB8725448BEE9826A1|
		|84B33A555BDA8564B156756CDEB395908E19B5D5357CB05ADE7644E1B5930741769|
		|D13DBFA5E952B15A2915D264DD5DF7D6ACC70C43BD54A8A629AE54D473BB7BD1B85|
		|0A298C5B2A62D7BADE5713DBF52D58B798FB59BD7D4326D7CBB9B65AD62ACE8E5F6|
		|D9B29EB34ECAAA4655AB5CAEDD3742B78AD36FE2DF95AD8F298B0D075D55118E0FC|
		|C8FA0F20974D57CE94B1FD1408A0445916E2B4264C8FB16B8EF3AF306D870137453|
		|0C12994EF9BC802D0F36AE307570F00298BC084E51A093639DA71D96E639C754C1F|
		|D67986741FF123849B12EBEAB6B1DF9524FC0E167CCA7C2AA74F831F6310A705B05|
		|9A927B089A9F7988F23571379A5893C8DFCB9AD7EA904C8A0F191CBE9FB2E5D51C9|
		|6AC539A0F62AF904F003E221092500D995AACDE9A72CB3554100CC23F18025BB3F0|
		|6DA5F810E2E510C7B7CEC127B20D267750D9D57E21C2DCC1F02FE48DFC06DB77987|
		|FC04E131C14C87198D086739C6DEBD03A9F835D2F982FF9BC5760EA35E82574F0B9|
		|1D0F31095D0FC09EFBCC7BCCBBE06006E707A8BE28F727CAF51DA17CDD9CAFFB07F|
		|C7AB7999BCC2DB0EF1BF33B4F06C5C63836B68127D7F71E3CF08EF996F9068CA750|
		|878FD0CFB1FDDC9F38F727CEFD4C703F13DCCF04F73312106280A7638027A683B42|
		|19EB021AE2D15043BC996E6894D4F21C7C8247382390E66C6F8D951CC28CFDB28CF|
		|476691F9999F99F2FFFF385653CCB9646D9DB4798EDA948C4D19B329E33665DEA62|
		|C287BEF1221598ADBBFF7A630BF349255AAB76ED62BA7689150C4579BD756BD7207|
		|3DFA0B9CA5FC47|

Edited by oedipus_tex

For comparison's sake, here's a comparable Elec/Psi which I consider a much better "investment" than Ice/Psi in pure utilitarian terms. Now I'll be first to admit that Electric Control has its own issues: mainly what I listed in the first post in this topic, Synaptic Overload chains don't Dominate because of technical limitations with pseudo pets, and its sleep power only shines when paired with a set that doesnt do DoT.

Again, meant to be played with Barrier as the Destiny choice.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.1.25
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Social Medium: Level 50 Magic Dominator
Primary Power Set: Electric Control
Secondary Power Set: Psionic Assault
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Tesla Cage -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(3), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(5)
Level 1: Psionic Dart -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Chain Fences -- Dtn-Acc/Dmg(A)
Level 4: Mind Probe -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(9)
Level 6: Telekinetic Thrust -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(9), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(11), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(13), FrcFdb-Rechg%(29)
Level 8: Conductive Aura -- EffAdp-EndMod/Acc(A)
Level 10: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(13)
Level 12: Static Field -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(15), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(17), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(19)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(19), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(21), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 18: Paralyzing Blast -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(23), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(23), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(25)
Level 20: Drain Psyche -- TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(A), EffAdp-Acc/Rchg(25), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(27), Prv-Heal/Rchg(27)
Level 22: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(33)
Level 26: Synaptic Overload -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(33), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(33), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(34), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(34), CrcPrs-Conf%(34)
Level 28: Subdue -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Apc-Acc/Rchg(36), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(37)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37), Rct-ResDam%(37), Ksm-ToHit+(50)
Level 32: Cross Punch -- Obl-%Dam(A), Obl-Dmg(39), Obl-Acc/Rchg(39), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(39), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40)
Level 35: Psionic Lance -- StnoftheM-Dam%(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(42), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(42), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(42), GldJvl-Dam%(43)
Level 38: Psychic Shockwave -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(45)
Level 41: Charged Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(46), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(46), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(46)
Level 44: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(50), PstBls-Dam%(50)
Level 47: Power Sink -- PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(A)
Level 49: Surge of Power -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
------------
------------
Set Bonus Totals:

• 18% DamageBuff(Smashing)
  • 18% DamageBuff(Lethal)
  • 18% DamageBuff(Fire)
  • 18% DamageBuff(Cold)
  • 18% DamageBuff(Energy)
  • 18% DamageBuff(Negative)
  • 18% DamageBuff(Toxic)
  • 18% DamageBuff(Psionic)
  • 26% Defense(Smashing)
  • 26% Defense(Lethal)
  • 6% Defense(Fire)
  • 6% Defense(Cold)
  • 17.25% Defense(Energy)
  • 17.25% Defense(Negative)
  • 6% Defense(Psionic)
  • 27.25% Defense(Melee)
  • 21% Defense(Ranged)
  • 6% Defense(AoE)
  • 4% Enhancement(Held)
  • 90% Enhancement(RechargeTime)
  • 4% Enhancement(Stunned)
  • 39% Enhancement(Accuracy)
  • 4.4% Enhancement(Terrorized)
  • 8% Enhancement(Sleep)
  • 8% Enhancement(Immobilized)
  • 5% Enhancement(Max EnduranceDiscount)
  • 8% Enhancement(Confused)
  • 91.56 HP (9%) HitPoints
  • MezResist(Confused) 46.25%
  • MezResist(Held) 46.25%
  • MezResist(Immobilized) 46.25%
  • MezResist(Sleep) 46.25%
  • MezResist(Stunned) 46.25%
  • MezResist(Terrorized) 46.25%
  • MezResist(Teleport) 100% (20% chance)
  • 20% (0.33 End/sec) Recovery
  • 38% (1.61 HP/sec) Regeneration
  • 30% ResEffect(SpeedFlying)
  • 30% ResEffect(RechargeTime)
  • 30% ResEffect(SpeedRunning)
  • 10.25% Resistance(Smashing)
  • 29% Resistance(Fire)
  • 29% Resistance(Cold)
  • 12.5% Resistance(Energy)
  • 12.5% Resistance(Negative)
  • 8% Resistance(Toxic)
  • 8% Resistance(Psionic)
  • 10.25% Resistance(Lethal)

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
		|MxDz;1496;704;1408;HEX;|
		|78DA6594CB4F135114C6EF74A696424B5B68793F2B502C505A415D1A03682234A9B|
		|255EBA44C6092D2693A25D1A50B5762448D71E5EB0FD035BEFE068DE263EFC285F1|
		|119187511C4FE73B409399A4F9F57EF79C7BBE7BEE9D495F9AF43D3975E5B890021|
		|379D534B393C6A25E50CB46C99D56E7F59CA0C73F6BE47435DF93D6E6F4A5450F29|
		|D1BDA8EC845128978C7C622AAFE5CA253DB72BF4EE879C304D75295F4E644CDD285|
		|0048F456DC6A0C4D9A2A6CDF9ECBF339A5AD40BF37E7B70529F5F28D328B03B35A7|
		|95CC05BDD83A55D47389FDD5D34BD9B46A96B5D2E5167216A3DFCFA0E0C792C59A4|
		|B884E45B8DE31DF83CA07D023EFC50AD1464829629DF225D6A4C7D06A280EA19622|
		|DF516C4DB90D1EB8C5BC09D6AC805E4A70DB0B596E77A6D2369A3B03D69E65CE82B|
		|E4FC8E9B8EAB2B9411E3C528DEDC1B3022D4AADF7623DC93B045F3EE626C5D771AD|
		|BA55D9D6EA5F305F82C167CCA760C373B089D6F52357F82392AD49A405B88701F6D|
		|EC0DEC3EC3DCCDEB7A876886343DCEF26EE7713F7BBE523E8A3928DA2D68E6D0CA3|
		|7ECB0DECAF2D8271DB1750260F11F89223DBD03A7E815D1BCC4D50A1D866C4BA9A7|
		|90F5D61B027086E93CF56EE51EB39D4EC39CFBC00F6669917992AE8A732ED7CFEED|
		|29680793CC516602EC1B0143E4A993FD77B2A7BE69D9EE43DF3A7CA776843D5EEE1|
		|7A21BEBBBBB05E606FE609D81BFCC1D306631FF81F5141EE5DCE81AEE43EC2D78E8|
		|15F335F30D181F468D00A19FF7D5FF087730FE90F9001CBECFBC072E53CE20F6A50|
		|CF2790CF3798CF0798C6C312B8742FBBB4EC321F638740CBE478F32C798E360EA08|
		|73155EAF516EC27E232D91F80D0F9F7D4224F91D4D1EE6BBA154BDCB163D95CBB9A|
		|B5871C76CD2A1A41CCA9843197728330E25A3547D416CC51BDCFB7E585FE9FA4B52|
		|F5ECF76AE534FD8929E29B23EA47B572173D9A8EEFEF70A69124CC5BFF01C0D7FE4|
		|8|

13 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

I'd probably not roll a melee set. Although Arctic Air is PBAoE power, logistically you'll likely want ranged attacks so you can position the aura around all enemies. That's probably Ice's greatest vulnerability, enemies outside Arctic Air.

But of course I would go melee to maximize AA.  I already have /Psi and  /Fire that I play regularly so those are out.  I will probably go Ice/Dark

Edited by FUBARczar

5 hours ago, FUBARczar said:

Oh also another sensible fix for Dominators, is to fix the casting times of some of the T1 - T3 powers.  For instance it is silly to have the ST hold cast in 1.07 and 1.1  secs for Fire and Mind while Plant and Electric cast in 2.07 and 2.17 secs.  

I agree. That is one of the discussion items that came up in the thread.

That was done for Blaster T1 and T2 powers many years ago in one of the issues. The main beneficiaries of the fix would be Controllers more than Dominators, but it would still be nice to have some consistency. The powers were originally meant to be identical. The cast times are different because the original design team didn't realize how strongly animation time is tied to damage output.