The Return of RGB

Greycat

Yeah, yeah, I know.

We used to have connection of some sort with AlienFX lighting, back in the day. Which... I never had an alienware, so I have no idea how well it worked.

Now, though, it seems you can't swing a catgirl in a computer store without hitting something RGB. And - while I don't generally *care,* I've found occasion where it's actually useful to be able to customize lighting for things (warnings, control setups, that sort of thing.) We should take advantage of how widespread this is and work on integrating it into the game. Anything from simply "Red if I"m playing a villain, gold for .. .wait, people play that?... Blue for heroes," to "match my UI" to "make it aware of custom setups."

Now, the main issue (other than some people just not liking RGB, which... they probably don't ahve any or have it turned off) is all the different RGB software out there. I don't know if anyone's come up with a "unified RGB control software," but I know on my system I've got an Asus MB and video card, which work together for Aura - but my Razer KB and mouse don't, as they have their own software (which, actually, kind of inspired this - as mentioned, I've found it useful in some games to customize lighting for control groups and such.) So that could be an issue.

Vital? Game breaking? OP? Nah. Just a bit of fun.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

• 1 year later

I already had an Alienware back when that worked, and it was VERY handy. You could set it up so your lighting matched the color of your hitpoint bar, and started a low-key flash/throbbing when you got really low. I forget what else you could do with it, but that was the one that really worked well. You might scrapperlock and miss that your hitpoints were dropping, but it was a lot less likely when the keyboard started turning dire red and doing a heartbeat on you. I keep hoping somebody will look at that functionality and try to bring it into the modern era, it definitely worked well. 

Limiting my already guarded posting both here & discord. Just too toxic for my tastes, & the mods do not seem to care.

https://cit.cohtitan.com/profile/3066

You're talking specifically about lighting up case elements? I guess it fits with a gaming enviro.

OTOH, this is the first mobo I've ever had that had had onboard lighting and supports some mad feature control for it... but my case remains opaque, so I just disabled it all. 🙂

Keyboard color control would be immediately useful, though. If anyone made a full featured gaming keyboard that included at least a dozen hard macro keys (essential for me, in everything but gaming)... I'd be good for some game-based control.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

45 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Keyboard color control would be immediately useful, though. If anyone made a full featured gaming keyboard that included at least a dozen hard macro keys (essential for me, in everything but gaming)... I'd be good for some game-based control.

Im really happy with my G910 and hero mouse.  The logitech software allows for lots of profiles and macro control.  Pretty infinite.  And has a G1 - G9 special keys on keyboard for what I think you mean by hard macros (keys, key combos, recording of keystrokes not just on these keys but anything).  Backlighting, and individual key backlighting.

2 hours ago, RageusQuitus2 said:

Im really happy with my G910 and hero mouse.

Logitech keeps churning out variations that come nowhere near the mighty G15 and G11. The macro keys grow fewer and fewer and more and more awkwardly placed. I started with a G15, got a free replacement because of the key-wear problem, settled for a G11 for a long time... and watched mint and new ones exceed $300 on EBay. Finally gave up and went with a G110, which at least has a useful number of macro keys in a useful configuration, if only 12 and with primitive backlighting. Then again, I don't really care for RGB, so red/blue/blend is good enough for me.

A keyboard is mostly a tool to me, so $200 for individual RGB backlighting isn't really worth another $150 or so. 🙂 But hard macro keys are essential to pretty much every task I execute, all day long. Sorry to see them fade away. Oh, and the Logi software is a perpetual headache. GHub won't find any devices on my system (a common problem), and the base Gaming Software is tricky to get installed right and then tends to bug out. I had to spend an hour today trying GHub again and then reinstalling LGS because it stopped recording key delays and other things.

I have never understood how a company can get something right, and then spend years doggedly screwing it up.

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

4 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

You're talking specifically about lighting up case elements? I guess it fits with a gaming enviro.

OTOH, this is the first mobo I've ever had that had had onboard lighting and supports some mad feature control for it... but my case remains opaque, so I just disabled it all. 🙂

Old post, but when I posted it I was talking about the keyboard specifically. I don't need my case playing disco-ball, but... yeah, the Razer software being aware of things has been useful in some games.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.