Any chance of a few website beta testers?

CamdenJaxx

Forgive me if this is not the correct category, or if this type of post isn't allowed, but I haven't had much luck with responses on Reddit, so I thought I'd try another approach.

COH Directory is a project I've been working on as a way to keep busy in-between new alts, while making it a bit easier to locate sources of information within the COH universe. Consider it a user-submitted Yellow Pages of sorts, a portal for all things COH-related.

While I have enjoyed the challenges this has given me from a web developer's standpoint, my weakness has always been getting pulled away from the computer and forgetting where I was at, and thus forgetting to (completely) fix a few things. I've done my run-through a few times now and think I've managed to remove the tape, but would love a couple of pairs of eyes in case I've missed something that needs fixing.

To be clear, I know the website is not stunningly gorgeous - my focus has been in the operations department and less of the design department. There's a bit of a ways to go as far as the overall look of the site, but making sure the functionality is there is what's most important at this time.

So, any chance I could get a few volunteers? I'd especially love to hear from those of you who may run a COH-themed website, be it a blog, a tool, a forum, etc., but am certainly not limiting my selection pool to only them. I've already had a few responses regarding the overall look of the website, but have not had any actual testing done yet.

Seeking: 7 Volunteers
Have: 3 Volunteers

Edited by CamdenJaxx

logo-sig.png

Are you making a mobile friendly version?  I use discord on my phone (computer hates discord) and read the forums on my phone (alt tabbing in game causes crashes).  I could test it on my phone but not sure if thats what you're looking for.

cohRock, that was intentional. As the site is only accepted beta testers at this time and any other visitors will simply see a coming soon page, there was no need in posting the URL just yet, or ensuring it is listed in search engines. Once my beta testers give me the thumbs-up for operational features, I'll open it up to all and be sure to post the link. 😉

logo-sig.png

20 hours ago, Patti said:

Will it work in ie6?   That is the greatest test.

Absolutely! It's very important not to work in IE.

Please prioritize this feature.

IE must die!

• Sad 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

2 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Absolutely! It's very important not to work in IE.

Please prioritize this feature.

IE must die!

LOL! IE is nowhere near even being a thought when I'm working on a website. If it fails in IE, all the better.

Still looking for more volunteers! I've had some great feedback so far; would love to hear from more beta testers. 😀

logo-sig.png

That kind of sounds like a rather negative approach to development, @CamdenJaxx.  I can understand that you may personally have some preferences regarding browsers and software, though not everyone has the luxury of choice in that regard.  I feel that if you would really like your website to succeed, a philosophy of developing with broad accessibility in mind would be very much to your benefit.  If you aim for the lowest common denominator, while still maintaining the scope and depth of your intended features, I can only see that as being a good thing.

Hardly, @FoulVileTerror. Cross browser coding is the only way to code, however IE's standards of coding are not worth implenting, as Microsoft Edge has replaced that browser on any modern computer (IE: >XP), which hardly anyone uses other than long enough to install another browser. That being said, Edge is still more cross-compatible than IE could ever hope to accept, which is why my coding works across all modern browsers (including Edge). I am not about to try to degrade the layout and design principles for a browser such as IE, which (accompanied with Edge) has only an 8.9% stake in global browser usage to begin with. The only people coding for IE nowadays are people that are doing so for intranet usage on computers that aren't capable of running modern browsers, much less COH in general.

Edited by CamdenJaxx
Grammar

logo-sig.png